This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

ad600\explor600 and r2 trigger help please

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by Cher, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Cher

Cher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you @bobbyzfx. I don't understand why they make this so confusing. Since I am only using manual mode right now I thought I would try single pin.

@jknights The odd thing is that I shot a couple frames with the r2, blue as can be, switched to the xt16 and back to normal color balance. All camera/flash settings the same.

I have emailed Adorama and one of the tech guys called this evening, will call him back tomorrow to see if he has a better solution. It's unbelievable how much time I've wasted on this.

2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Strange behaviour. I havent seen that with my XT16, XT32 or X1T-N or X1T-F.

3. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

He was describing using a for-Nikon X1T-N on an mft camera. If you're using a trigger meant for a different system, you have to have single-pin mode on, or sync won't work.

4. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is what I saw. Didn't see any mention of X1T-F being used on Nikon or vice-cersa. Maybe I missed it. I just upgraded FW on . my X1T-F, AD200, AD600 and no change in any custom functions or anything on my X1T-F and it works fine in HSS mode.

X1T-F custom settings:
    0: 00 , 1: on , 2: -- , 3: in , 4: -- , 5: 1/256 , 6: -- , 7: 03 , 8: - - , 9: -- , 10: -- , 11: 01

X1T-N custom settings
    0: 00 , 1: - - , 2: AU , 3: in , 4: -- , 5: 1/128 , 6: -- , 7: 05 , 8: - - ,

5. Cher

Cher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information. In speaking with the adorama tech guy the r2 transmitter custom function 11 needs to be set to 01. This isn't listed in the instruction manual (no comment!!).

I am using this set up primarily for real estate/architectural photos and always shoot in manual mode/auto white balance. The r2 trigger is forcing the camera to a blue white balance probably because it's detecting a flash. Adorama is suggesting that I set the camera to a fixed white balance, 5500. This is completely impractical for me to be switching the white balance back an forth on every shot, typically I shoot about 40 images per home, mix of available light and flash, blended in ps.

Even though we managed to get the r2 trigger to fire the explor600 it is completely unusable to me. Very disappointed in Adorama as they are not standing behind this product. I hesitate to go into all of the details online, but let's just say my credit card company has resolved the situation for me.

6. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Every now and then I get a blue tint WB in the preview after just taking the shot, but then when I go back over the shots the WB is correct.

I think it's sound advice from Adorama about setting the WB, or just shoot raw and take care of WB in post. Easy peasy. I shoot real estate all the time and AWB does a decent job of getting it close but there is usually a tweak that needs to be done no matter what. The Fuji flash system is in it infancy and there are many things that still need to be worked out. I am using twin AD200's mounted to the Bowens twin head adapter and I do get the off balance blue tint every now and then. I also get a warmer tint too depending on what color wall the flash is bouncing off of. Setting a custom WB is the only way to be consistent. For ambient shots the camera hardly gets that right so I'm adjusting in post anyway. I would rather have a consistent flash shot and then adjust the ambient manually to get it close to the flash anyway. It's the nature of shooting AWB. If you want precision, set a custom balance. If you want convenience then AWB, put a grey card in the scene, and adjust after the fact.

A photography buddy of mine also shoots real estate with the explor600 and he sets a custom WB so he does have consistency.

Unless you have a defective R2 trigger, the trigger isn't forcing the camera into a blue tint. It is making the best guess of what it reads as the different light sources on the scene. If you are exposing for ambient and are not using enough light to overpower ambient then AWB will be all over the place. There are so many variables when using AWB and off camera flash that you cannot just blame the trigger or the flash.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 3:30 AM
    trainer likes this.
  7. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

C.Fn-11 is described in Please login or register to view links.

Given that the paper copies were probably translated, printed, and in the box before the v03 firmware update went out (which added C.Fn-10 and C.Fn-11), it's possibly unreasonable to expect Chinese techwriters/translation folks to have time-travel capabilities. ;)

Granted, they could make the information easier to find. But given the corners they cut on engineering/testing, I really don't want to know how shoestring Godox's documentation budget is.

8. Cher

Cher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I agree and always do white balance correction in post production. Occasionally I will shoot a grey card on location too. I use the godox xt16 trigger and it doesn't affect the color like the r2, there is a noticable difference when switching between triggers. I spend too much time in post production as it is and to start introducing files that are exceptionally blue is not ideal. I also shoot raw and have been shooting professionally for over 30 years, have a good understanding of flash, color balance and post production. The r2 transmitter, at least the one I have, is doing odd things. My godox xt16 trigger works great and I'm sticking with that one.