This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

After 20 years of Nikon...

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by chromatin64, Jul 12, 2017.

1. chromatin64

chromatin64 New Member

-Return to Top-

...I've traded it all in to go 100% Fuji (well, plus adapted legacy lenses).

It was my latest trip overseas that did it. Internal flight weight restictions meant I had to leave some camera kit behind and travel without a laptop. I shoot mostly wildlife so my lenses are big and heavy.

I've had an X100s/WCL/TCL and X-T1/18-55/52 setup as well as my Nikon gear for a couple of years so I'm not a Fuji virgin and I know the limitations and advantages of switching to Fuji. But as of today, all of my Nikon gear (apart from the Speedlights) has been traded in for total Fuji goodness.

Tomorrow I take delivery of a couple of X-T2s, the 100-400, 50-140, 16/1.4, 35/1.4, two grips, both MCEX extension tubes and spare batteries. And I still have 1500 GBP left in the kitty so I'll likely wait for the 80mm macro and probably buy an EF-X500 flashgun too. Or, who knows, maybe an X100F...

I think I'll miss my Nikon 500/4 and Zeiss 135/2 and 100/2 Makro but having seen what some of my traveling companions produced with their X-T2s, I don't think I'll miss them too much.

Anyway, please think of me tomorrow as I have wait for my delivery.

2. chromatin64

chromatin64 New Member

-Return to Top-

I've just realised, I'll have to edit my siggy.

3. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why didn't you keep them as adapted lenses?

rayvonn and chromatin64 like this.
  4. Jbat

Jbat Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I traded all my Nikon gear a year ago and moved 100% to Fuji and am glad I made the move. Size and weight being the thing that pushed me over the edge but the quality of the Fuji gear gave me the confidence to make the move. There are a few places where the Nikon would serve me better, primarily birds in flight, but otherwise, no problem.

Joel

lawsofphysics and chromatin64 like this.
  5. chromatin64

chromatin64 New Member

-Return to Top-

Good question. Ultimately, their trade-in values were worth more to me to buy lighter lenses. I did contemplate keeping the Zeiss lenses because they have aperture rings (the 500/4 was a G with no aperture ring) but all three lenses are heavy.

I have a Nikon G adapter so I could have used that on an X-Tx with the 500/4 but as I said, weight was a major part of my decision process. I was using it less and less after I bought a Nikkor 80-400. The 500/4 is a brilliant lens but not one easily taken overseas.

Fujiphotog likes this.
  6. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Did you tally up the weight savings?

chromatin64 likes this.
  7. chromatin64

chromatin64 New Member

-Return to Top-

Yup. More than enough for my MBP and an external HDD in a backpack. And a bit more if I take the 18-55 rather than a 16-35-56 combo.

8. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What are you using for macro in your Fuji kit?

9. chromatin64

chromatin64 New Member

-Return to Top-

Until the 80mm is available, I have two adapted Canon FD macro lenses and a Minolta macro-zoom. I've also bought both MCEX extension tubes to try out with the 35mm and 56mm. These will of course be useful with the 80mm, too.

Narsuitus likes this.
  10. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I also sold my Nikkor 80-400 and D800 for an X-T2 and 100-400 last year. With the battery grip on the X-T2 in boost mode the performance of this camera and lens is close to what I had for BIF with Nikon, and better for most other things. I just returned from Iceland where I got several sharp shots of puffins in flight at a success rate comparable to my results with the Nikon gear.

The lens hood on the 100-400 is big and bulky, taking up lots of room in a camera bag. I bought an after market lens hood that screws on, is only a few inches long and much slimmer than the Fuji version. You may wish to do that too.

chromatin64 likes this.
  11. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wow, that's exciting getting all that gear in a oner! Great cameras and lenses, I like your choices.

pandoraefretum and chromatin64 like this.
  12. rayvonn

rayvonn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Good luck, it's a big call you've made. I keep both systems (though nowhere near as comprehensive as yours). The weight of a Nikon system is often a pain but there's just so many fine lenses for it, new and old, that I can't ditch it.
    Let us know over time how you get on.

chromatin64 likes this.
  13. FMW

FMW Member

-Return to Top-

Been there, done that. Good move. Congratulations.

lawsofphysics and chromatin64 like this.
  14. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did the same thing as soon the Fujinon 10-24/4 lens came out. I replaced two D700 bodies with two X-T1 bodies. I have zero regrets. For me the space and weight savings were significant. The IQ was better too (admittedly the D700 was old).

I much prefer the FUJIFILM XF lenses. I found the modern Nikkpr primes' high level of longitudinal chromatic aberration in out-of-focus rendering very annoying. The worst Fujinon prime I own has hardly any LoCA. The 10-24/4 exhibits much less flare and ghosting than the any of the four DX/FX ultra-wide zoom lenses I used.

chromatin64 likes this.