This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Alien Skin Exposure X3 - RAF files: massive lag on iMac

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by iqall, Mar 23, 2018.

1. iqall

iqall New Member

-Return to Top-

I really don’t understand why Exposure is advertised as a fast raw processor. At least in my case it’s unusably slow. There is a massive lag when editing my RAF files (X100F) in the standalone version. JPGs are less of a problem even though not without lag.

Whereas sliders in Lightroom work seemlessly without real delay in Exposure almost every change needs up to 1 or 2 seconds. Also in the Basic panel there is an annoying lag when changing the exposure or the WB.

My machine is an 27” iMac 5k 2017 with 40 gb RAM. My pictures stay on an usb connected HDD but moving them to the SSD didn't change anything. In the performance tab of Exposure I moved all three sliders to the right.

I already asked the alien skin support about this, the answer:

“The high resolution of the 5k iMac display is indeed a significant contributor to lag. If someone reports trouble like this it is usually with 27" iMacs. There are a few things that will help though.
    When Exposure is first installed it needs to build a pre-render cache. This takes some time and will effect performance initially. Once the cache is build you should expect much quicker performance. For users having trouble with this, I recommend allowing Exposure to run in the background overnight. This should allow sufficient time to Exposure to complete the cache generation and you should find performance to be much better.“

I followed this advice but nothing changed. Also I use the latest version of Exposure.

So I’m wondering if anyone else has lag issues on a 5k iMac? Any other suggestions?

2. Brent Dacus

Brent Dacus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hey just saw this. I have had the same issue. Same answer as well. Did you go in the Preference section and move the memory and cache sliders to the right? Oh I see you did.. humm it helped mine a lot. I spoke to them about it as you did. Generally the consensus is they have trouble rendering all the pixels for 5k. I haven't tried but if you connected a non retina non 5k monitor it would be way faster. I don't use it as my Primary editor also.