This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Another firmware update: Metz Mecablitz M400

Discussion in 'Fuji X Accessories' started by Tilphot, May 25, 2017.

1. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Since the day before yesterday, there's also a new firmware (1.2) for the Metz M400. The update program can be found here:

Please login or register to view links

Improvements:
    1. Depending on the camera type the remote master- and slave-mode are supported.
    2. AF-beam enhanced.
    3. Distance indication for manual zoom setting enhanced.
    4. Stand by mode is activated if the FUJIFILM X-T1 is switched off.
    5. "REAR" is displayed if the function is set on the camera.

I couldn't test it yet, as I always have to use a friend's Windows PC to install it, but from what I hear on the German Fuji X forum, it also addresses the underexposure issues some users have reported here.

2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like Mecablitz are giving some love to flashes for Fuji.
    That is great news as the OEM Fuji units seem to be less reliable.

3. mikegee

mikegee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When are other 3rd party MFG's going to have firmware upgrades to support HSS? I pre-ordered the Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver for Fuji (TT350F) 6 weeks ago no delivery date yet.

4. jdcohnsf

jdcohnsf New Member

-Return to Top-

I just bought the M400 for Fuji and went to the Metz website to download the update. However, the update appears to requiring running a Windows executable and I do not own, plan to own, or have access to a Windows computer. My home computer is a MacBook Pro. Have I missed something and somehow overlooked a link to a Mac update program for the M400? Otherwise, what have other Fuji owners with Mac computers done to update the Metz firmware? I tried using wine but got a bunch of error messages .

5. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Only Windows at the moment. Only way is to find someone who owns a Windows PC. A Mac updater is supposedly in the making, at least that's what Metz support told me a few months ago.

6. harvland

harvland New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm new to the forum, but wanted to add that there is a MAC download on the Metz website. The file name is: "mecablitz.dmg". It's the only download you need to update your flash on a Mac. You can find the link at the bottom of the firmware download page, here: Please login or register to view links

I just received my M400 from Amazon today, and updated it with my laptop running MacOS Sierra. It updated as expected. :)

Tom Reed and Tilphot like this.
  7. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks a lot for this info! Metz must have added this over the last couple of days ...

harvland likes this.
  8. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am being really obtuse here, but I cannot see how to update the firmware on the Metz Mecablitz M400 flash unit. I have downloaded the software to enable the update to be done, but the mini-usb port is inside the battery compartment of the flash unit, so it cannot be On when the update is being done, yet the computer does not detect the device when it is attached using the usb/mini-usb cable, presumably because it's Off.

Once you have recovered your composure, and wiped the tears of laughter from your eyes, could someone please tell me how to carry out this procedure? :)

9. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Problem solved! The cable I was using was not suitable, for whatever reason. I tried a different cable, and the computer instantly recognised the flash! Happy!

Tilphot likes this.
  10. Tom Reed

Tom Reed New Member

-Return to Top-

I must be brain dead but I can't open the download. it's a .dmg file and when I double click it, it says "mecablitz can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer. I'm using a Mac and I have the cable attached and all looks OK. Any ideas? Thanks so much. Signed--brain dead

11. mugmedia

mugmedia Remember

-Return to Top-

On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General. In the lower part of that pane, where it says "Allow apps downloaded from," select "Anywhere." I'm not sure if this will allow you to open the file you've already downloaded, but if not, trash that file, download a new copy, and try again.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018