This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Anyone retain a DSLR , post Fuji ?

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by dee Dowling, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:34 PM.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds like plenty of cameras, though I think you need a 6x7, or something that will accept a 6x7 back. 6 x 4.5 is a lot of fun too . . . not to mention 4x5 inch. I really like the 6x7 and 645 formats; there's no need to crop for standard print papers, and the taller formats suit the way I like to compose. 6x7 and 6x6 are especially great shapes to compose with.

I have too many SLRs, but people keep sending them to me, and I can adapt virtually all of the SLR lenses to my Fujis. Even the Pentax DSLR can use all the old Pentax-K mount and M-42 mount SLR lenses as well as Mamiya 645 lenses. I only own one half-decent modern Pentax AF lens (the plastic fantastic 35mm/2.5).

I also counted several crap cameras, such as Holgas and old box cameras . .

My pile of old photo gear actually generates a lot more than 40 cameras, if you count all the combinations of bodies, lenses, and roll-film holders. The view camera, the press camera, the homemade film camera, and a couple of 3D printed camera bodies can all use some of the Graflok standard film holders, covering 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5. All of these cameras have interchangeable lenses, viewfinders, ground glass backs, etc.

In addition to that I have a sliding shift-stitch adapter to mount the Pentax DSLR on four of these Graflok bodies, producing very large panoramic files. Another shift-stitch adapter lets me shoot any of the Fuji-X cameras through Mamiya 645 lenses, stitching up to 8 shots together for extremely high resolution digital files covering a lot of the 645 image circle.

Most of my intentionally purchased camera gear was chosen to fit into an elaborate system of interchangeable and widely-shareable components, though some of my favorite cameras are fixed-lens stand-alone models.

The digital DSLR has a part to play in this elaborate game, though I did replace it's focusing screen with a cut-down ground glass screen from an old Nikon SLR. The older screen is much better for focusing manual focus lenses than the typical DSLR matte screen.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:47 AM
    (c)ow likes this.
  2. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find myself using viewfinders on all cameras less and screens more. Tilting screens offer a more versatile approach, like medium format film cameras. I always thought of them as a gimmick, but I use objects as impromptu tripods, and shoot low and overheads all the time. Mirrorless cameras achieve this more efficiently than reflex cameras.

3. Lumens

Lumens Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I must admit I have kept my 7D & 6D - they have sat in the closet for too long!!

4. charlie3

charlie3 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, kept my D700 and ten F mount Zeiss and Nikkor lenses. All but one are primes. The lenses can be used with an adapter on my Fuji bodies and the D700 is now always used on a tripod :)

5. pw-pix

pw-pix Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely, my Nikon D800E will continue to be a primary tool, and a good selection of lenses covering from 14mm to 400mm.

6. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, got rid of it!

7. davidy233

davidy233 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've got three Canon DSLRs - 2 x 1dx and 1 x 5d mkiii and lens from 400mm 2.8 to 15mm fisheye - they are my work cameras.

My x-t2 is my toy, it's a lovely toy and it can do things that the DSLRs can't but although I use it sometimes to shoot sports I wouldn't trust it when I'm on deadline. It does earn it's keep though - excellent as a remote camera behind the goal at football - and I'll use it at a couple of golf tournaments as well as the Canons this year.

8. aequalis

aequalis New Member

-Return to Top-

I sold my Nikon D5300 and all lenses after I get the X-T10. Partly to finance the new system and partly because I didn't like the handling of the D5300. That's one reason, I wanted to try out a mirrorless camera. And I like the small size, the look and level of direct access the X-T10 provides. But sometimes, I miss the old-fashioned handling of a DSLR with its clear optical viewfinder and flapping mirror. I can not really describe it, but it feels somehow more direct. Like a roadster where you can feel the street and every corner on every part of the. Not that comfortable and encapsulated like the family car and maybe not even that fast like a modern car, but more connected. Thus, sometime in future, I will get another DSLR. Something more functional in handling, like a D7200 for example. Or maybe a mirrorless Olympus, because it looks nice. Just for fun and to have something different to play with.

rayvonn likes this.
  9. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I kept a Canon 5d for a while, but sold it half a year after I got my X-Pro1. The 5d was a fine camera, but I didn't like the bulkiness. The X-Pro1 and X-T1, both with small(ish) primes, are great for me.

(I love the X-Pro1 & 35/1.4 combo)

rayvonn likes this.