This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Anyone using Topaz AI Gigapixel?

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by SquarePeg, Oct 11, 2018.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

I love my Topaz Labs plug ins and if this new A.I. Gigapixel software is similar in quality it's going to be great! Any first hand experience? Thoughts?

Please login or register to view links

2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I have researched it but not tried it because it takes a high end graphics card to make it work efficiently. Even my latest model MacBook Pro doesn't have a good enough graphics card. The A.I. Gigapixel website sets out the required graphics cards.

I also looked at a comparison between A.I. Gigapixel and other uprezzing software (including Photoshop), but I no longer remember the website. The test result was that for the very largest enlargements (such as 600 percent enlargements) A.I. Gigapixel was slightly better than the alternatives (which required a lot less processing power), but at lower multiples the difference was not readily visible.

I understand that Topaz is working on a new A.I. Gigapixel release, 2.0, which is supposed to be less demanding of processors and graphics cards. If independent testing shows it to be significantly better than the competition and workable with my current laptop computer I would then try it.

SquarePeg likes this.
  3. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I bought the V1.x version of it to use but my MacMini video card was not suitable so I havent used it as it needed a powerful GPU on video card. The new v2 is meant to address this problem but I have just moved house so time is limited. Also I have my MacPro and just bought a new powerful video card with the intention of testing it further.

It looks looks like a really useful piece of software. I will get more time in the coming months so will report back as and when I get time.

SquarePeg and Fujiphotog like this.
  4. Fujiphotog

-Return to Top-

When you test it please compare it to one of the usual Adobe products and something else, if you have something. Say at 200, 400 and 600 % enlargements.

SquarePeg likes this.
  5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar

-Return to Top-

Glad I asked before downloading the 30 day trial. I'm sure my oldy/moldy Toshiba laptop doesn't have a fancy video card. Instead of upgrading my laptop/monitor set up last year I bought an iPad Pro so AIGig will have to wait for either v2 or if I ever get around to getting a nice desktop again.

Fujiphotog likes this.
  6. Fujiphotog

-Return to Top-

My computer vendor suggested I buy a graphics card that costs $600+, and a new computer with 32 megs of RAM and the latest processor. Total cost before taxes: $3,200.

The new V2 A. I. Gigapixel is described on its website as as a lot faster, but my correspondence with Topaz has not obtained any suggestion that this new version will take less computer power. It seems it will require the same computer power, with which it will work faster. I will not be upgrading my computer for several years.

7. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

I've just downloaded the trial version. It is already v2. My hardware, which is fairly high end, coped without a blink. The program looks worth while although nothing can produce miracles. I think I'll buy it as it will be useful when customers send me a low res image that I need to enlarge for a web site and it is not possible to reshoot.

If you hang out here, I would hazard a guess that you would be taking pretty hi res images, so this would be of occasional use. As I mentioned, I see it primarily for enhancing low res pictures from other sources. Having said that, I think it would be a useful tool to have in one's toolbox.