This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Auto ISO for X-T2 going up very quickly?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Newbies: If You're New To Fuji X Cameras' started by PeteHolland89, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PeteHolland89

PeteHolland89 New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi all,

I've been walking around with my new X-T2 + 18-55 set (loving it!), but whenever I want to take photos indoors, during the day, the auto ISO goes up to the edge of 6400 very rapidly (which I set up as max. in the menu).

I usually keep either Shutter Speed or Aperture on auto - never both - but I'm struggling to get good settings for these variables while keeping the ISO low.

Now the X-T2 has very good ISO handling, but I still wonder, why is my auto ISO hitting the 6400 max so quickly? Is it better to manually set ISO?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

2. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds normal to me – with maximum apertures between f/2.8 - f/4, the XF18-55 isn't the fastest lens ... though the OIS should help to achieve reasonably sharp/unblurred images up to shutter speeds of around 1/30 s, some would say even 1/15 s. That is, if your subject isn't moving to fast. Try setting your ISO to 1600 and shoot in aperture priority to see what shutter speeds you can realize! If that isn't working, consider buying a fast prime ...

charlie3 likes this.
  3. PeteHolland89

PeteHolland89 New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Tilphot. I guess I'm still afraid of high ISO's coming from a Canon Rebel series, but maybe I should get used to the fact of shooting up to 6400 ISO with this 18-55 lens.

4. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How do you have the minimum shutter speed set in the auto iso menu? I'm not in front of mine - so can't check - but not sure what the X-T2 does if you are in shutter priority and try to set a shutter speed less than that you specified in the auto-iso menu. But certainly in Aperture priority it will change the ISO up to the limit specified before it will change the SS.

5. PeteHolland89

PeteHolland89 New Member

-Return to Top-

I have it set to 1/60 (standard) because of the OIS of the 18-55.

6. Mahasamatman

Mahasamatman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I see this as well - I spot high shutter speeds, reasonable apertures and crazy high ISO setting where Auto ISO has done something daft. I'm coming to be of the opinion that it only really works for me if I use manual mode - set Aperture and Shutter speed and let the camera manage the ISO. When in program mode, shooting at base ISO of 200 on an X-Pro 2 I rarely see really low shutter speeds and if I do, then I switch to Auto ISO or manage it manually but for normal every day shooting, Auto ISO is not working how I expect it to...

It does seem a bit broken.

7. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On a recent trip I experienced something very similar to this. But, on checking carefully, it turned out to be that I had inadvertently switched form Auto-ISO 1 to Auto-ISO 3 where I had a much higher minimum shutter speed set. Of course this was before the firmware upgrade.

8. FredGUnn

FredGUnn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In addition to the above, what is your dynamic range setting? Auto, 100, or something else? If not set to 100, try setting it to that and see if that lowers your ISO a bit, as the camera could be bumping up the ISO to capture more dynamic range.