This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Bought an X-E3 with the 23mm f/2

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S, X-E3' started by CSG, Apr 8, 2018.

1. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not in the market but Amazon just screwed my business with them (lots of issues with Amazon affiliate accounts going on) and I had a couple thousand on my personal Amazon account gift card. Did you know they can take your gift card funds with no reason given and you have zero recourse? I decided not to take that chance after they abruptly closed my affiliate account and stole two months of payments they will not pay me now.

Anyway, F 'em. I bought the X-E3 with the lens from Cameta (I sure wasn't going to buy it direct from Amazon). Looking forward to not only acquiring the lens but having a new gen body as well (I've got an X-T1 and X-Pro1. Also, decided to get the 10-24 I was lusting after but putting off but that's for a different forum.

Should get the gear by Wendesday this coming week and will follow-up with my thoughts on the camera.

2. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Arrived today. Much smaller than I thought even though I've seen all the videos and thought I had a sense of the size. Great package with the 23mm f/2. Other than doing a quick set-up and firmware upgrade for the body, I've only tried a couple test shots at home. All in all, I'm pleased.

Like others have said, I hate the lenshood. Don't know what in the hell Fuji was thinking with that one. Guess I'll be in the market for something else.

3. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm loving the form factor of this camera. That said, I've turned off lots of features (like the touch screen) and moved ISO to the Fn button on top. I shoot manual most of the time so this gets me close to how I like to shoot. For fun, I popped my new 10-24 on it and am pleased with that combo. I got this, in part, as a walkaround camera but also as a second body for landscape where I might keep my XT1 on a tripod and have this one to wander around a bit for handheld landscapes. All in all, a very impressive little package.

4. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You said it; turning off the "features" such as touch screen and having a separate button for iso is the key to enjoying this camera.

5. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why I like Leica's approach is the simplicity of their cameras. From my old M4 to the current M10, Leica's are simple cameras (for the most part). I like to run my cameras manually so lots of the *features* that so many demand are of little interest to me. I set my XP1 similarly with the ISO on the top Fn button. My XT1 requires nothing in that department considering it has a dedicated ISO dial. I think of this XE3 as similar to a mini Leica M10. And I LOVE the joy stick over a D pad.

blacksheep likes this.
  6. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought of the X-E3 as sort of similar to the M10 as well but was afraid of stating that here for fear of getting flamed by Leica owners, haha.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    blacksheep likes this.
  7. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hey, I own two Leicas (both film) and I see the obvious styling cues of the M10. It's not a Leica but I can't afford the CL and, honestly, prefer the styling of the XE3 over the CL in any event.

rayvonn likes this.
  8. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hahaha, aye. I won't comment on what this lens looks like with the hood on... I put the hood from my 35/2 on it, since I don't use this lens anyway. It holds the lens cap in place, which is its primary purpose, it's small and it looks reasonably good.

Pedro1948 likes this.
  9. m.hermann

m.hermann Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just for the the record: It is possible to enjoy the X-E3 with the touchscreen turned on. I know I do. ;)

Also: Why don't you use the front dial for ISO? That's what is was made for (apart from aperture settings on XC lenses). More direct than the Fn button, too, I think.

Anyway, it's a great little camera to have.

Marc

10. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love my XE3. Nice light kit for my work travels with the 23f2 and 50f2. The 35f1.4 is awesome on the XE3 though too.

Using my XT2 for the larger lenses now.

I too disabled the touch screen focusing and shooting, and the sideways swipe functions. The up and down swipes seem to work just fine for me.

Couldn't stand the puny little hood either. Got the slightly larger vented one. Too bad it can't be shared with the 50f2, and the same with the filter size.

Sorry to hear about your Amazon issues. I've had a few with them myself recently but they always made it right in the end.

11. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Robmas, it had to do with their business affiliate program. The consumer side has been just fine (so far).

12. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Pushing in the front dial to didn't really work for me, I found it better to press the Fn2 button instead.

13. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hey Marc, thanks for the tip! I reassigned ISO to the front dial and changed the Fn button to AF type. Turning off the touch screen stuff makes the basics simpler for me. I bought the camera for its size factor, the low price for the 23mm f/2 by buying as a kit, and the same imaging sensor as in their XT2 and XP2 cameras for a significant discount. I sort of look at the XE3 as the Rollie 35 of the digital world. To be fair, I haven't examined any of the competition but I know how much I like the Fuji way and Fuji glass so the XE3 was a logical step for me (owning the XP1 and XT1).

14. m.hermann

m.hermann Active Member

-Return to Top-

You don't have to push the front dial for ISO. Just give it a spin.

Marc

Ed Dumas likes this.
  15. m.hermann

m.hermann Active Member

-Return to Top-

I know exactly what you mean. I had to wait for the X-E1 to finally relieve my Minolta X-700 from duty and go digital five years ago. Had eyed Sony before but just as you I liked the Fuji way.

Marc

16. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I will Marc.

17. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Once you have your ISO set from the front dial, pushing it locks the function so that hitting the wheel accidentally (which I did a couple times), will not change the ISO until you press the wheel in again. It's a neat little feature.

BTW, on the Rollei 35 comparison, I wonder if the aging Lumix LX100 isn't even closer?

18. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you! Where I went wrong was having my iso set up on separate auto modes and in that scenario, the wheel was not working as I'd like. However, when the base iso 200 was applied to the X-E3, everything worked beautifully changing iso on the front wheel as it should.

19. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As I keep messing around with these cameras and swapping lenses (Fuji and legacy), I put the 23 f/2 back on the XE3. Just damn but that's a well paired match. I just know that I'll order a new 35 f/2 before the weekend is over... ;)

20. CSG

CSG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I didn't order the 35 f/2 over the weekend as I kept telling myself to just use the 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko I've owned for 40+ years with the OM-XF adapter I bought for just that purpose.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously falling in love with this X-E3. I was sure I'd end up getting an XP2 when the next gen came out but now, I don't know. The loss of the OVF on my XP1 isn't missed as much as having to have a larger camera to accommodate it.

rayvonn likes this.