This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Capture One Film Styles

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by nameBrandon, May 8, 2014.

1. nameBrandon

nameBrandon Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I ran across this site a few days ago, and then it was mentioned on a webinar today, so I dove in and spent the $50 since I had some change in my PayPal account.

Please login or register to view links

It's basically a slimmed down version of VSCO presets (without the grain) for CO. I think it was a good purchase. I found myself doing a really convoluted workflow importing in CO, exporting TIFF to LR to view some starting points with presets or even Silver Efex Pro, and then making additional edits, then syncing back to CO for final edits and output..

I think the ability to have these presets within CO will finally going to let me get rid of LR all together. I like the ability to quickly run through presets to get some different ideas on directions to take an image, and LR was great at this. This set isn't as complete as VSCO but I don't really need 12 different versions of Ektar 800 anyway, and I never really liked the fake-y grain that seemed to come from VSCO. I did compare a few presets from this pack with their counterparts in VSCO LR and they were pretty close.

If you're using a weird CO+LR workflow like me, or just want some more creative options while inside of CO, give it a shot, it's a solid investment IMO.

If you're on the fence, they do offer a few styles as a free try-before-you-buy download.

Skells, cam, chipbutty and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cher

Cher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for info. Looks intersesting. Curious about what you like better about Capture 1 over Lightroom.

I am close to breaking up with Capture 1 and rekindling my friendship with Lightroom. Although I generally like the output from Capture 1 I am finding the entire software a little too fiddly and buggy for my needs.

Sorry, didn't intend to change the direction of your original post.

3. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

Interesting. Not for me, personally. To me it's the photo equivalent of making a "perfect" audio recording, and then adding hiss and crackle to make it sound like vinyl. :)

However I can understand that there are people that prefer a certain kind o "look".

4. nameBrandon

-Return to Top-

The only thing that's buggy to me is catalog management, and that's survivable at this point. Firstly the color editor (and adv color editor) blow anything LR has to offer out of the water. I feel CO's ability to recover shadow detail is far more powerful than LR. Output recipes save me a ton of time (one button click and I can output a master .TIFF, full sized jpg, web-sized jpg, png for FB, all to their own directories, etc..) I like the higher degree of control over Noise Reduction. The localized adjustments with layers is amazingly powerful. Keystone tool is very useful since I end up shooting with a lot of city building in the fg/bg. The ability to completely customize the workspace (and have multiple workspaces for different uses) is handy. The loupe is greatl to zoom in at a configurable % on thumbnails, saves me time proofing for focus.

Of course I didn't even mention the (IMO) better RAW conversion and color/contrast rendition which got me to switch in the first place..

That being said, I used LR for a long time and think it's a great tool. CO is not for everyone, especially if you don't like learning new software. :p

Flyboy likes this.
  5. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. The video on the site "How It Works" is pretty good, and takes about 10 pictures thru different styles and also working with the color editor. I'll take a closer look at these later.
    Bill

6. Flyboy

Flyboy New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello Bill,

Thank you for nice post.

I am disappointed with LR in developing X-Trans images and would like to give CO a go. Have CO express and would like to see how you do things in CO.

Please post your work flow as to how you bounce in and out with TIFF files. Jpeg and one button export to different directories.

Many thanks for sharing your skills.

Take care. Jim

7. dpt2014

dpt2014 Dr. J

-Return to Top-

Thanks for this review! This might be the thing that tips me over to C1P over LR5.

8. nameBrandon

-Return to Top-

I don't think you have the ability to use output recipes with Express, but that's the functionality you use. Basically you define a recipe, say "Recipe #1" is JPG @80% quality, longest size of 1600px, sRGB, with a watermark, and it should go to \small_jpg. Then you define another recipe, "Recipe #2" is TIFF, 16-bit, no compression, AdobeRGB and it should go to \TIFF. Then when you go to output you just select the checkbox for "Recipe #1" and "Recipe #2" you want to use, and hit go. It has a queue window if you want to watch the output progress.

As far as outputting TIFF for LR.. I set up LR to auto-import from a watched directory. Then in CO, I have another recipe called 'LR Ingest' which exports to my desired TIFF settings to that specific directory. I run it, and LR auto-imports. Then in LR I make any changes and use an export preset called 'LR_Completed' that exports it to a directory for completed LR images. Then I import that TIFF back into CO.

It's hassle going between CO and LR, which is why I'm excited about these presets. I think I can leave LR behind, finally.

No problem!

Flyboy likes this.
  9. Flyboy

Flyboy New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you Bill, Nice response. Jim

10. Flyboy

Flyboy New Member

-Return to Top-

You are correct Express is without the feature to define a recipe for exports. Have D/L 60 day trial of COP and looks nice. Also looking at SILKYPIX ver 6 and they both do a better development of X-trans images. CO fails in key wording completely.

Would you expand on the following Please:
    "Then in LR I make any changes and use an export preset called 'LR_Completed' that exports it to a directory for completed LR images. Then I import that TIFF back into CO."
    Don't understand why import back to CO. Are you using CO as your DAM perhaps?

Many Thanks. Jim

11. nameBrandon

-Return to Top-

Yes, I am using CO as my DAM solution.. perhaps setting myself up for failure there, but I'm attempting to do use it. I also have a final recipe called 'master images' which I use to export full quaility 16-bit tiff of all images I want to have masters of, so I use that occasionally as well after importing from LR (yes, it is an extra step, I could just export form LR).

I make catalogs for every year, so for 2014 I'm trying out CO as the DAM solution. I agree with you keywording is horrible compared to LR. However, I love the additional filters I can use and combine for searching, IMO, that beats out LR.

12. dpt2014

dpt2014 Dr. J

-Return to Top-

Just realized there are five free styles. Sweet! Installing as I type.

13. chipbutty

chipbutty Premium Member

-Return to Top-

These look great. I use VSCO and Replichrome in Lightroom and I'm currently trialling Capture One. Very impressed with much of C1 but it's awfully expensive with many glaring features missing that I've come to love and rely on in Lightroom. Anyway, that's a separate topic entirely!

14. nameBrandon

-Return to Top-

What do you find missing? I find it much more complete than LR, myself. It does take a while to learn though. The webinars they host area great.

I agree, it is expensive, they just had a 40% off sale (with extra coupon code, it was 50% off), so I picked it up then.

15. chipbutty

chipbutty Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Publishing for one. I use that feature a lot in Lightroom, uploading to my SmugMug, Flickr and Facebook accounts. I use Jeffrey Friedl's plugins. I love the way Lightroom manages this and any additional adjustments made after uploading are recognised and you can republish. I don't see that C1 has this function.

No clone or heal tool. This is excellent in Lr5. For my needs at least. I know a lot of C1 users have requested this.

The Vignetting function is very simplistic compared to Lr. Again I use that a lot.

I had a whole list in my head last night! I've only been using C1 for two days and no doubt I'll find more omissions during the 60 day trial. But of course C1 has it's own benefits.

I'm actually surprised how well C1 runs on my 2009 iMac, 2.66ghz with 8gb RAM. It's faster than Lightroom, which is a little sluggish, even more so since Lr5.

I can't believe I missed that 50% off deal :-(

16. nameBrandon

-Return to Top-

Publishing, I agree with to an extent. I have tried the Friedl plugins for Flickr/Zenfolio in the past, and while they were pretty confusing it was nice to upload directly. CO with it's output recipes doesn't do the same thing, but one-click output for multiple file-types, sizes, qualities, etc.. is great. I send them to different directories, and then just upload via whatever site's functionality. If you used the Friedl plugins a lot I can see how that would be a problem though!

Yep, clone/heal is missing. There's the spot removal tool, but that's all it does. For me, I just go to photoshop, but I did use the clone/heal tool a bit in LR and it works well.

Vignetting combined with localized layer adjustments works wonders for me. You have the option for circular/elliptical crop/entire image, and anything further I need I just add a layer, create a mask at 10-15% opacity and start dropping the exposure on the layer. The fill masks works great, just draw the outline of what you want, and it will evenly and automatically filly the rest in for you.

For me, the layers and local adjustments combined with output recipes, and the much, much more advanced color editing capabilities were enough to get me to switch.

You're right though, it definitely doesn't compare to LR in some areas. Hopefully in future versions they'll improve on cloning/healing and put some serious work into catalog management.

17. chipbutty

chipbutty Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's so frustrating that there isn't one piece of software out there that can do it all. Lightroom would be the one for me if I didn't have the issues with IQ. The IQ certainly isn't bad but I find it worse than Photo Ninja, Iridient, C1, RPP and even Lightzone. Of course once you've seen what these other applications are capable of when it comes to IQ you don't want to go back to processing in Lightroom. But it's so hard to give up Lightroom's other wonderful features. As an out and out image processor Lightzone is really powerful. I've never used Photoshop but it appears similar with blending modes and ability to selectively sharpen colours and luminosity ranges.

Thanks for the tip on Vignetting. It is so much nicer having proper layers to work with rather than the awkward way Lightroom implements them.

The skin tone tab is a touch of genius!

Lisa090 likes this.
  18. chipbutty

chipbutty Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'll have to abandon any thought of purchasing Capture One. I've just discovered that here in Europe we have to pay an additional 25% on top of the already expensive cost of C1. That brings the total cost to an eye watering £234 ($392)! Staggering really.

Really disappointed about that as I was prepared to move to C1 :-(

19. dpt2014

dpt2014 Dr. J

-Return to Top-

C1 has regular sales. I got mine for about $160 USD a few weeks ago. They also do student discounts, somewhere in the $150 USD range, I believe.

You missed this 40% off sale by about 2 weeks: Please login or register to view links

Also, code AMBROSE is good for an additional 10% off. The code should never expire.

20. chipbutty

chipbutty Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the code. Yes I realised today that I missed the 40% deal :-( I've just found this Please login or register to view links which is around 50% cheaper than the price quoted on the Phase One Website. Is this legit?