This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Capture One for X-T3 Raw Converter Only

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by jedorme, Oct 12, 2018.

1. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just got my X-T3 yesterday & planned on using the free version of Capture One Express for Fuji as a Raw converter until Adobe finally gets their act together so I can revert to using my subscription versions of Lightoom & Photoshop with the X-T3's Raw files. However when I attempt to export an X-T3 RAF file it won't allow doing it in DNG format, only TIFF or JPEG. This is either a restriction or I am doing something wrong. Any ideas out there to allow this use of their free software for Fuji to be used as a Raw converter only?

2. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Capture One including the Pro version does not support RAF to DNG. You'll have to come up with another approach. LR will read and process TIFF files.

3. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is pretty much what I had figured would be the case. If I opt to export them as TIFF files into LR, will all of the shadows & highlight details contained in the RAW files be preserved?

4. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't own the X-T3, but my understanding is Iridient X-Transformer 1.1 can convert Fujifilm RAF to DNG for use in LR. Might be worth a trial version to see if that roughly $30 program will work for you.

5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Or use the fre Adobe DNG converter, v11 supports the X-T3

Please login or register to view links

6. John Beardsworth

John Beardsworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sometimes you get lucky with the timing of camera releases and software updates , sometimes you don't. When the X-T2 was released, it was supported by Adobe within a day or two.
    For now, your best way forward is to use the updated DNG Converter, as already recommended, or just wait a few days. Typically DNG Converter updates are sneaked out shortly before Lightroom updates, and notice that next week on 15-17 October Adobe have their annual Max conference, which is when they often release Lightroom & Photoshop updates.

7. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No, but there's also no point in using C1 to create DNGs because C1's DNG output is not demosaiced as in X-Transformer. If you really want to end up in LR then stick with Adobe.

8. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you mean by this that I should only use the updated DNG Converter until such time as LR includes the X-T3 for RAW editing, or perhaps also consider Iridient X-Transformer as its files are also demosaiced? Also a bit confused by what Adobe's situation is right now if they have updated the DNG Converter to include the X-T3 but still haven't updated LR. When I upload my RAW files into LR & select Copy as DNG, does it do something that the DNG Converter does not do to the files?

9. Alex Glassman

Alex Glassman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I downloaded C1express and compared the raw files, i.e. C1express and Lightroom (developed with Iridient X-Transformer). I like the way Iridient X-Transformer brings out the details ("more detailed" settings) as compared to C1express. (I even brought the Iridient X-Transformer dng into C1express and the details weren't as visible as they were in LR [looking at 400%].) So overall I'll stick with LR because for me it's preferable to have more detail, because I can always lessen the detail but with less detail it harder to bring more detail in.

10. John Beardsworth

John Beardsworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The DNG Converter is a standalone program that converts the RAFs into DNGs, which even older versions of LR can import. So you could do this, or wait to see if an LR update appears next week.

The Copy as DNG option in import is only applicable to files that LR can already read.

11. DaveShrews

DaveShrews Active Member

-Return to Top-

For those of you who use Iridient X-Transformer, can I ask what settings you prefer to use? I just started using it and have been using the Thomas Fitzgerald settings:

Smoother>None>Low>None>Medium>Adobe Default>Include as DNG Metadata.

I’m just curious if anyone else here has any particular raw conversion settings that they like. Thanks!

Dave

12. Alex Glassman

-Return to Top-

I use More Detailed (see above) >None >Adobe Default>None> None> Adobe default> Apply Corrections to Image: All

DaveShrews likes this.
  13. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also decided to go with Iridient X-Transformer & initially set it up with the Thomas Fitzgerald recommended settings for the RAW Options Tab. But I will have to try what you suggest as well to see what it might also produce. And now I'm still trying to sort out the DNG Options Tab choices; the File Naming & Save to Folder Tabs seem fairly straightforward however. All in all, it seems to offer quite a bit of control over the RAW conversion process, but just a bit mind numbing to begin with. At least much more so than just selecting Copy as DNG in LR!

DaveShrews likes this.
  14. Alex Glassman

-Return to Top-

I read Thomas's suggestions also and thought I was using them but I remember he had various ones. And I'm lazy to change them, ha, so I keep them the same.
    Here are screen shots of what I use.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.14.15 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.14.01 PM.jpg

jedorme and DaveShrews like this.
  15. jedorme

jedorme Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Alex,
    Either by sheer coincidence, or just plain luck, my DNG Options settings turned out to be the very same as you are using! Now I need to see how they work & if the X-T3 RAW files appear any different from what I was getting before in LR with my X-Pro2.

16. Alex Glassman

-Return to Top-

What I do, (on a Mac) is use Image Capture to download from camera or card. Then take those Raw files and open them in X-Transformer which saves them as dng. Then I import those dng into Lightroom aplying a preset that uses "Auto" develop and "recipe 1 sharpen fine" (from Thomas).

jedorme likes this.