This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Capture One Fujifilm released

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by David Grover, Sep 25, 2018.

1. David Grover

David Grover Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing earth-shattering in terms of explanation. :). JPEG compression is not a 100% exact science so different applications may well output different sizes.

Sorry I can't be more specific!

2. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Perfectly good enough - I'm just truly surprised and delighted by the size of the C1's jpgs. Amazing, really.
    Sometimes almost double in size to what I get from the same image uncropped at 100% in LR.

3. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I take it you do know Adobe is no longer supporting or updating LR 6.xx or any of their other stand alone or suite programs unless you are a subscriber to their cloud programs.

You guys are getting some big honking jpgs for out put I have to say. My jpgs are around 6mb.

I know your kicking the tires and testing the waters of C1 and just diving into it. I have to say that what your missing in the express version will give you way more than your LR stand alone version and with layers plus the other tools with preset, recipes, etc (at least for me) I have no need for PS.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes! This is just a sample of test image sizes - jpg output quality set to 100% in C1 Express.
    Some of them are even cropped

(Edited these last few days - the date column is date taken, last year in France)
    All images taken on my X-T20

upload_2018-10-1_14-2-21.png

5. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bully for you guys! Have no clue why they are as large as they are to be honest and as David said he has no idea either. I can only contribute it to a Mac to PC thing and not to Express to Full version. I'd say the export recipes and engine is the same in all their software Full, Fuji and Sony. All that really matters is your happy with your results regardless of size.

My jpg's are restricted to 3000 px max on the longest side when exported. That full fills all my needs. YMMV.

happy snappin'

6. David Grover

-Return to Top-

I should hasten to add that the size of the jpeg file is not a direct correlation to image quality.

I will also add that saving at 100% Jpeg is probably not worth it.. You'd be hard pressed to see a difference between 80% to 100%.

:)

Irene McC and ru2far2c like this.
  7. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My C1 jpegs are similarly large.

8. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh? Okay ! Good to know that, thx

9. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Jpeg compression is more complicated, but a simple version is that it combines as many bits of a given color as it can. So b&w is smaller and more nuanced detail in color is bigger. So an image with more subtle shades of color will be bigger, all other things being equal (naturally, all other things are never precisely equal). And...Obviously algorithms involved are more complicated....

Irene McC and Flostfisher like this.
  10. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well explained and yes, I have noticed B&W being smaller in size.

11. hooferinsane

hooferinsane Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Does anyone have problems retaining EXIF in their photos in Fujifilm express when resizing and exporting from the software? I have watched all the tutorials on this, but when I upload to forums, it is absent (file dimensions and size limits for the forum are correct, so it's not a case of forum software resizing and stripping it) I have no problems with this exporting from Lightroom - I am looking at longest edge 1024 pixels and 250kb file size. Only way round it I have found is exporting to photoshop and save for web there, and the EXIF will show in a web browser on a forum.

12. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please will you have a look at my thread over here about exporting from C1 (express) to Photoshop

Please login or register to view links

I would value any comments and thoughts!
    @hooferinsane your post above shows me others also import to Photoshop. Have you had similar results to mine?

13. hooferinsane

-Return to Top-

I have only downloaded it 3/4 hours ago, and only tried a couple of images using fuji macro tubes but they seem ok. Will try a few different images later and report back
    Ok, so I had a slight senior moment and had 1024 applied to image height rather than width :oops:

However, I have to pull the JPG quality slider right down to 1, and make the image width to 600 pixels only to get the file size below 250kb which gives an image small like this - easier to send to photoshop and save for web there to get correct dimensions for forum

Very tiny image results to get 248kb to display exif (these rules on another forum)

DSCF6948.jpg

14. David Grover

-Return to Top-

There must be something whacky in your output settings, as I can set width to 1024, JPEG to 90% and the file is about 216kb

hooferinsane likes this.
  15. hooferinsane

-Return to Top-

Thanks, could be something whacky in me :) I will persevere and play with the settings

16. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have to say that at the moment I am loving this Capture one Pro 11, a case of I have too now I only have an X-T3 but it edits the Raw files beautifully and love the built in presets.

17. hooferinsane

-Return to Top-

Ok after half a day and more senior moments I have sussed it - great variation on output file size depending on the colour profile chosen. sRGB works fine :)

18. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is a game changer for me(free version). That and I upped my X-T1 to an X-T2 for chump change. ( :
    I just installed some Astia, Chrome, Acros profiles and they look great.
    Just have to get used to the flow again - used to use it with the A7/A7ii.

I am Fuji happy.

19. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody New Member

-Return to Top-

The pro version is temping, but I can't do it. I have no plans to leave Fuji, but $200 is a lot to spend on PP software that won't work on smartphone DNGs.

20. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you are using the free version, where did you get the film simulation profiles from, please?

VintageJim likes this.