This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Card choices for video now, Spring 2018

Discussion in 'Videography' started by jonathan7007, Mar 14, 2018.

1. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

All,
    Professional still photographer planning to start experimenting with video later this Spring and on through 2018. The experimentation would be personal work or projects with an organization in which I'm a member. Standards are safely lower and I plan to practice before I get people in front of a camera and lighting.

I have a reason to add to my SD cards now as I am loaning a bunch of my older SDs to my daughter for her vacation trip in late March/early April. Even a short period with fewer cards means getting one or two up-to-date offerings to make sure I have what I need for my bodies. With my XT-2, and in the future a likely XH-1, I plan - as one project example - to try gathering some needed "interviews". I believe they will be tripoded, but the key card-planning metric is that there'd be 10-15 minutes of non-stop capture - with multiple set-ups - from which a piece with more cuts would result.

64? 128? 256? (those last are expensive...) Of course 300MB/sec. I already have 32Gig 300 MB/Sec cards for the faster slots. 64Gigs and several units? This is they way we'd go for stills. One consideration is price drops across 2018. Maybe not get too crazy too early...

I did a search in this part of the forum and didn't find a discussion of this. I hope this isn't asking again something well covered in a thread not found by our Forum's search function.

2. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You don't need anything remotely close to 300 MB/sec for video.

3. Jbat

Jbat Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have been using Lexar SDXC 2000X UHS II cards in my X-T2 and now X-H1 for quite some time. I have a 64GB in slot one and a 32GB in slot II. They have been fast and reliable and I have never come close to running out of capacity. I can highly recommend them. They are not the least expensive cards for sure but they are not something I have to replace any time soon.

4. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I already use two Lexar SDXC2000x and one SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-2 300MB/sec (SDHC) for stills. They rotate through those UHS-2 first slots on XPro-2 and XT-2. All three are 32Gig.

5. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At one time, my nine Lexar 32 GB SD cards (class 10) (633x) were my largest and fasted memory cards.

When I began using three Fuji X-Pro1 bodies to capture opera performances on video, I purchased five Lexar 64 GB SD memory cards (class 10) (633x) because not only did I need fast reading and writing transfer rates. but I also needed to capture long recording times.

I used one tripod-mounted body for long shots and one tripod-mounted body for close shots. I had a third body mounted on a tripod or a monopod for midrange shots.

At the intermission, I would replace the batteries and the memory cards in all three bodies. If needed, I used my nine 32 GB cards as backups.

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr