This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Card read errors X T1 and X Pro1

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Koban, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Koban

Koban Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have since a two weeks card read errors on the X T1 and X Pro1. I use five different cards.
    Sandisk 16GB Extreme pro
    Sandisk 16GB Extreme
    Eye Fi Pro X2 16GB

I do not get erros when I make the photo. Only when I want to preview the photo or zoom in at a photo. Does this accure al the time ? No this one of the thinks that makes it strange for me. Format the card in the camera als gives errors.

The error does not seems to be consequent. Preview a photo works also but it can happen that I get errors will doing this.

Any know with this issue ? I did read that OS X can be a problem. But never had this problem before.

Edit:
    I use an MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 with OS X 10.9.2

2. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It seems that you have some kind of contact problem at the interface between your SD cards and your cameras.
    • Have you tried to clean the contacts of your memory cards? First, use somke dry household tissue to clean contacts, then use a cotton swab moistened with isopropylic alcohol and wipe the SD card contacts clean.
    • Did you inspect your cameras' memory card slots - could it be that there's some debris near the contacts in the slots? Use a magnifying glass.
    • Have you tried to use your dust blower to remove debris from your cameras' card slots?

3. JRT

JRT New Member

-Return to Top-

This may not be a "contact" issue with cards and camera. With my X-Pro1, I get a card read error when rolling through the images "in camera" as the image goes from the last one on the card to the first one. This always happens after I take the card out of the camera and review images using my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks). It never happens if I use an older MacBook Pro, running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8. I'm fairly sure it did not happen under Mountain Lion either, but I can no longer check as I don't have it available.

The solution (work-around) is to not use Mavericks to view the card contents, or if you do then always re-format the card in the camera before using it again. This is good practice anyway and seems to cut down on a lot of mis-reads and lost images on cards.

It isn't a big problem, but I would much prefer not to see errors. They always make me very nervous! Maybe someone from Fuji might be able to comment or even provide a fix?

4. Koban

Koban Premium Member

-Return to Top-

These thinks I checked.

I just did read something about locking the SD card when putting it in the reader of my MacBook. I found a topic where some users had the same problem. After locking the SD card when transferring the photos to the computer the did not had the problem any more. The think that OS X writes a something to the SD card. For me the strange thing is I did not had this problem before with OS X 10.9.

And is not that I have always this problem... I have this with the Pro1 and T1 also checked a few other SD cards pas hour and seems the error occurs with every card. I did format one card in the laptop so far no errors.

Not using OS X 10.9 is not an option. I only use MACs so I do not have a other system.

5. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

If this is what happens, then try this: Set the protection slider on the SD card to the "Lock" position before you insert the car into the card reader on your Mac.

If this cures the problem on your camera, then the problem is due to files that your Mac leaves on the SD card, and which confuse the Fuji camera. In that case, these "junk" files may be left on the SD card if you don't eject the memory card in the correct procedure from your Mac, i.e. if you don't "unmount" your card correctly..

6. IslandTractor

IslandTractor Member

-Return to Top-

I have had the exact same problem using a 32gb Sandisk card between my X-E1 and a Windows 7 computer. I've never lost a photo and once I start taking pictures again the review function seems to work again. I'll try your suggestion to use the lock position though that is a bit of a clunky work around. Seems like something Fuji should update as I never have had that problem with any Canon or Pentax digital cameras with the same computer. FWIW, I only use the standard folder method to look at files.

7. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

This is one of the reasons that I suggest that people use a USB lead to download from camera to computer.

If you use a USB lead and ImageCapture then the files are downloaded to a directory and then you can either set ImageCapture to delete after download or you can reformat the card in the camera.

All this keeps the card in the camera and there is little chance of corruption except if you unplug the cable or lose battery power.

8. jknights

-Return to Top-

This issue only started to occur when OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x were introduced and now of course we have the new OS X 10.9.2 which is even more advanced and clever.
    I suggest that the safest method is to use a USB cable.

9. Rift

Rift New Member

-Return to Top-

Good way to run into that error is removing the card without unmounting it first.

10. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I run exactly the same computer, same OS, XT1, SanDisk 16G 95mbs cards. Haven't ever seen a problem. As Rift pointed, as you consistently ejecting the card? Perhaps theres something else installed on you box, virus scans or something, that's causing an issue.

11. timichango

timichango Grand Hoser of the North

-Return to Top-

OS X (and most unix/linux/etc. operating systems) write invisible filesystem metadata to directories that are accessed to which the system has write permissions. Solution, as previously mentioned by Arjay, is to lock the card before mounting it directly on your Mac — or to adhere to a rigid protocol of formatting the card in-camera each time you've completed a file dump to the computer.

If you need to frequently check card contents on the computer without reformatting the card in between, you might consider going with an eye-fi setup, or using the camera cable to transfer files... a pseudo-tethered workflow with an eye-fi would probably be the most seamless, but it depends on what you're trying to do.

12. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Correctly unmounting the card instead of just pulling it out of the reader would also solve the problem. Then, the computer will automatically clean up the SD card and remove any auxiliary files it may have written on the SD card.

jknights likes this.
  13. timichango

-Return to Top-

Not at all my intention to be contrary, but unfortunately, that's not 100% true — the OS does leave os-specific filesystem cruft behind, regardless of the eject procedure.

I just tested this:
    • with a card freshly formatted on the x-pro1, I locked the card and inserted it into the computer. Checking the filesystem root on the card, no filesystem cruft had been written. Conclusion: the OS respects the write lock.
    • I ejected the card properly, unlocked the card, and reinserted. Checking the filesystem root, the os had indeed written filesystem metadata to the card, now that it was able to. Conclusion: the OS writes metadata immediately upon mount, so long as the lock is disengaged
    • I again ejected the card properly. Then I removed the card, locked it, and reinserted it. My aim this time was to test if, indeed, the proper eject procedure—performed on an unlocked card which had received the OS metadata files—would clean up and remove those files. Locking the card again was intended to preserve whatever state the card was in after the proper eject was completed in order to evaluate. The metadata files were indeed still present on the card. Conclusion: the OS may do some kind of unbinding of the card, but it does not remove the filesystem metadata at all.
    So—if the Fuji cameras get twitchy when the cards contain this metadata, then the unmount procedure may not be a panacea against any issues. Better to lock the card, format after each computer-mounting (at least in the case of os x) or use alternate means to move the files off of the camera (wireless, cable, etc.)

See:

[​IMG]

14. timichango

-Return to Top-

I'll add that, anecdotally speaking, I've never run into an issue with cards malfunctioning, and I'm extremely cavalier with mine. As a rule I try to remember to reformat, but in practice I'm constantly ripping the things out of my Mac's SD slot, cramming them back into the camera, and blasting away. No issues to speak of so far, and I've been paying attention given the rumblings about others who're running into problems.

So it may be related to usage, behaviour, specific cards, or any other number of variables. If you're among the afflicted, though, it seems you've got options at your disposal to remedy the issue.

15. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I've never had any such problem, but I'm on Windows PCs.

Someone should ask Apple to clean up their act. ;)

16. timichango

-Return to Top-

Or someone should ask Fuji to not choke on common filesystem artefacts ;)

17. timichango

-Return to Top-

I'll actually be on a Windows system next week—for the sake of curiosity, I'll check out if/what gets left behind under Win8. Might check out Ubuntu as well, just for the hell of it :)

18. jknights

-Return to Top-

I am fully Mac these days but I used to do consulting on Microsoft software (for my sins), on Windows I would expect little or no artefacts unless they are put there by third party software. If you view the files directly on the SD then if you dont write protect I would expect a desktop.ini file. On Linux I think it leaves the SD clean. :) Be interested in your findings as I am still running Ubuntu 11.04

19. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting. A couple of things I noticed. My ._.Trashes file was last modded in Nov. I wound up deleting it. But what I find more interesting is your .Spotlight-v100 file, which I dont have. A quick internet search reveals that this file is related to indexing. So, again, given that most of us are not experiencing any issues, I'm left wondering if some other outside agency or configuration option winds up depositing additional files to the card on systems that are failing. If would be interesting if those having a problem, gave us a listing of the directory of the card. If you don't how, its pretty simple. Run Terminal and at the prompt type:

> cd /Volumes/TheNameOfYourCard
    > ls -la

Cut and paste the result and post it here. It be valuable to see what extra files you have laying around. Bonus points if the card is failing at the moment.

20. eurotrash

eurotrash Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was getting card read errors with my first X-T1. I formatted what must have been a dozen times trying to get it to disappear. After closer inspection, it seems the card wasn't being held in place correctly in the camera. The card also wouldn't eject due to a faulty spring release assist in the slot.
    After replacing the unit, i have not had another read error. I'm using Sandisk Extreme 8GB SDHC1 30MB/s cards, Macbook Air circa 2013.