This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Card read errors X T1 and X Pro1

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Koban, Mar 19, 2014.

1. timichango

timichango Grand Hoser of the North

-Return to Top-

Yeah, so far as I know...

• the 'trashes' file would only be modified in the event that you trashed files via the OS X finder, resulting in them getting moved into that hidden folder on the SD volume
    • .Spotlight etc. is used by the OS X spotlight indexing engine, as you stated. It's possible (likely, even) that the overall behaviour of spotlight was updated in Mavericks as part of the overall security re-architecture that was undertaken between Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.
    • I have my doubts that there's 3rd party software contributing to this and generating additional filesystem artefacts, but I suppose it's certainly possible.

One thing I'm surprised not to see among the hidden files is a hidden .DS_Store file. This file does the following:

".DS_Store (short for Desktop Services Store)[1] is a hidden file with a proprietary format created by OS X to store custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.[2]".
    .Thumbs.db handles storage of the OS-generated file thumbnail cache.

If folks are browsing their images directly off of the card in the finder, particularly using the thumbnail browse view (and allowing OS X to generate file thumbnails), this would likely trigger the creation of a .DS_Store file and/or .Thumbs.db file — which, going out on a limb, could be the culprit. Seems feasible that the Fuji firmware might try to read the .DS_Store file or .Thumbs.db, and choke on parsing it/them.

Worth investigating, in any case...

2. jwr

jwr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When you insert a card into your Mac, OS X treats it like another drive by creating the directories already mentioned.

It makes no difference whether or not you unmount the card correctly--these files remain. They're rarely a problem but as has been mentioned several times it's best just to reformat the card every time it goes into your camera.

If you want to use a USB cable to transfer files that's cool but you are theoretically reducing the transfer speed by one order of magnitude. If you have a lot of files that's significant.

3. timichango

-Return to Top-

Also, engaging the card lock before accessing the card directly via the computer is an extremely quick and effective solution to preventing the computer affecting the card's filesystem, as already mentioned.

Probably the quickest solution, in fact. And also doesn't force you to reformat if that's not what you're hoping to do.

Only potential pitfall: forgetting to disengage the lock, and not realizing the mistake until you try to take a time-sensitive photo.

4. IslandTractor

IslandTractor Member

-Return to Top-

I appreciate all the ideas for preventing the problem by using simple things like the USB cord to download or using the lock on the SD card. However, I don't understand why my Canon cameras (50D, 6D, S95) don't have this sort of problem at all but the Fuji does. Why can't Fuji just reprogram their system to ignore whatever system files are inadvertently left on the cards? I am in the habit (due to long Canon experience) of just popping the card out, slipping it into the computer reader and quickly checking photos before putting the card back into the camera. I don't always download. I sometimes delete but I don't process the files, I just read them. Occasionally I'll copy one or two off the card to email before I download the whole batch into the computer hard drive. It is kludgy to have to remember to bring the USB cable or to flick the lock on and off. Why can't Fuji deal with this rather than requiring work arounds?

5. jwr

jwr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many of us have been using Macs with multiple Fuji models for the past year or two with absolutely no issues accessing the card, nor can we reproduce the problem you're experiencing. Blaming this one on Fuji is a bit premature and the fact that it began happening simultaneously on two different cameras certainly points to something in your computer or card reader.

The suggestions here have just been work-arounds and are not things we're forced to do on our systems.

6. timichango

-Return to Top-

Yeah, for what it's worth, I can't replicate the issues either, and I have been trying to deliberately do so sporadically for several months on both an x100s and an x-pro1. Figured I'd try to replicate and understand the potential issue before running into it at an inopportune moment and losing data.

That said, I'm inclined to believe that there is a legit issue for some users, though given how sporadic it is, it's very likely stemming from specific combos of camera + firmware version + sd card make/model + a specific generation of computer hardware and OS. In other words, hard to replicate, hard to fix.

Someone needs to curate a database of equipment combos experiencing the issue to start deducing what scenario specifically is causing an issue, as it's certainly not universal.

7. IslandTractor

IslandTractor Member

-Return to Top-

I don't mean to be blaming Fuji. It is however a Fuji specific issue from my experience. I am new to Fuji and very pleased but I never had this problem before with a digital camera and I've used them for over 15 years. In my case it is happening only with my otherwise fully functional XE-1. It is not a crippling problem, just an annoyance. I've never lost a file, just been unable to review certain files in camera. I guess there is just something unique about the combo of Fuji camera and some computer systems/card readers/operating systems.

8. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In general, in ordered to fix a bug, you need to be able to reproduce it. It would be helpful to get a listing of files on your card when it fails. In thinking about it, it be good to see all the files as perhaps theres something getting deposited in the sub directory containing the image files that trips things up as you cycle through the images.

cd /Volumes/Untitled/
    find .

results:
    ./DCIM
    ./DCIM/104_FUJI
    ./.fseventsd
    ./.fseventsd/fseventsd-uuid
    ./FFDB
    ./FFDB/FFDB.DAT
    ./.Trashes

9. eurotrash

eurotrash Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If this is indeed the cause, there is a program called BlueHarvest which will auto delete these files (or a specified selection thereof) on a selected disk when connected. It's awesome and great for loading mp3's on a disk used for car audio or an SD card which you want to keep clean.

10. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

We need to remember also if we are trying to debug this that many different SD cards have different drive interface controllers which can themselves cause problems as they need to interface to the card reader or electronics in the USB interface on the computer.

11. JRT

JRT New Member

-Return to Top-

Ooh, this topic is coming to life in several directions. Let's just review for a moment:

I have an X-Pro1 and have been using it for about 18 months now. I use any one of three Sandisk 8Gb Extreme SD cards, class 10 speed, in this camera. My other camera is a Nikon and I use compact flash cards in that one, and have never had a card-related issue. Ok, maybe just lucky. I'm not too keen on the "lock the card" method but yes, it does work. The trap here is obvious, I'm sure to forget the lock sooner or later with possibly unfortunate consequences. Similarly with the USB cable method it means another cable to find (why are they all different?) and must remember to start up Image Capture to upload from the camera. It doesn't start automatically. The Fuji FinePix Viewer, which does start up when the camera is connected, doesn't behave on Mavericks and has not been updated by Fuji for a while. It's posted on the Fuji Support website as Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), Mavericks is currently 10.9.2 and isn't there. Finally, although the issue isn't a show-stopper, it is a nuisance and it's never good to ignore errors. The could be the start of something really bad.

I've just shot three images on a freshly-formatted card. Here is the listing:

./DCIM
    ./DCIM/100_FUJI
    ./DCIM/100_FUJI/DSCF0001.JPG
    ./DCIM/100_FUJI/DSCF0002.JPG
    ./DCIM/100_FUJI/DSCF0003.JPG
    ./DCIM/100_FUJI/._DSCF0001.JPG
    ./._.Trashes
    ./.Trashes
    ./.fseventsd

Note the file ./DCIM/100_FUJI/._DSCF0001.JPG That file appears after I pick an image file and view it in Preview. If you just look at the images on the card using Finder, it doesn't appear and the card does not report errors in the camera. If I look at other images then similar files appear and also seem to cause the error in camera. Do other Fuji cameras have the problem, e.g. X-T1? If so, it's probably an easy fix in the firmware as I would expect the same file routines to be used in all X-Series cameras.

Sorry if the post is a bit long-winded, bugs can be the very devil to find without very specific detail. I've had many support messages along the lines of "My camera is broken, please tell me how to mend it", with no more detail than that.

hkpm likes this.
  12. Tailwagger

-Return to Top-

Yep thats it. I opened with preview. Pullled the card without ejecting while Preview was still up and the listing is:
    find .
    ./DCIM
    ./DCIM/104_FUJI
    ./DCIM/104_FUJI/DSCF4013.RAF
    ./DCIM/104_FUJI/DSCF4013.JPG
    ./DCIM/104_FUJI/._DSCF4013.JPG <===== Thats the culprit.
    ./._.Trashes
    ./.Trashes
    ./.fseventsd

Put the card in my X-E1 and pressed for the next file and got a Read Error message. Dunno how we communicate this to Fuji but hopefull Robert has a channel. In the meantime, as they say, 'don't do that.'

13. Tailwagger

-Return to Top-

Actually in doing more testing, it doesnt matter whether you eject or not. Preview leaves a hidden file on the card. It also doesn't matter if you exit Preview. It does not clean up after itself. So Fuji should just ignore . files in the photo folder, but until there is a fix, dont use preview on the card directly. Copy the files first.

hkpm likes this.
  14. JRT

JRT New Member

-Return to Top-

Great, many thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Does the Forum have a path into Fuji? Let's hope so. In the meantime, I agree, don't do that!

15. Chema Hdez

Chema Hdez New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi... googling about this issue, I found this "system hack". A program that overwrite the system calls to write the .ds_Store and other system files and redirect their creation to a specific folder... ;)

Please login or register to view links

16. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi dear all,

My camera is X-T1 firmware 4.00. My computer is Mac 10.10.4. SD card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s, SD-HC-I, (10) U1. I keep getting "[?]READ ERROR" message while vewing pictures on my X-T1. I am not a computer programmer or engineer. Is there any easy fix?

Thanks,
    F

17. eurotrash

eurotrash Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Does it happen after reformatting the card as well, after taking a few shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes.

19. Tailwagger

-Return to Top-

Then do you have access to another card to try to see if that fails as well?

20. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

Right now I dont have another card. If I may ask, what might be the problem; if it happens on another card and if it doesnt happen on another card? If it doesnt happen on another card, then what? If it does happen on another card then what?