This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Card read errors X T1 and X Pro1

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Koban, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At the moment, we dont know which device to blame, the card or the camera. If it works with a different card then we know something is wrong with the card... if not, and you've properly formatted everything etc, then perhaps the camera has a problem.

A couple of questions since you dont have a second card. First, if you format the card, shoot photos and then try to review your shot do you see the error? Or is it only after you pull the card and try to read it onto the mac and then re-insert it into the camera? If its the latter, how are you reading the files into the computer? If your using Preview, that is the source of your problem. Copy the files in first eject the card and then run Preview. Preview puts some hidden files (files that you cant normally see and are named with a . as the first character). The Fuji software screws up if it encounters hidden files it doesnt expect. If your not using Preview to read in the files, what are you using?

Frued likes this.
  2. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

Me using Preview directly on the card on my Mac. I already had formatted the card in the camera and all that. What you are saying makes sense, its the Mac that is putting some secret files onto the SD card, then the X-t1 gets paranoid seeing them. Is Fuji listening to this issue?

3. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your detailed help.

Kind regards,
    F

4. snaphappy

snaphappy Member

-Return to Top-

I use asepsis too and it works for me. Apart from importing the images into LR I avoid messing with the SD card.

5. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yep thats your problem. Preview seems to insist on putting some hidden files into the directory, I'd assume to help it render or index the content in some way. The Fuji software doesnt expect to see these files and gets confused when it encounters them. Assuming you dont have Lightroom or something similar, the solution is to always import the files onto the Mac via finder and properly eject the card. I use LR, so I dont know if iPhoto causes a similar problem.

This thread has been around for a while... it is rather surprising that this bug still exists, but I dont think we can say one way or the other if they'll fix it or not at some point. They might feel, though personally I'd disagree, that this is a preview bug and not something they need to fix.

6. kitzhubsch

kitzhubsch Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe removing sd card from spotlight aware folders would do some help? As much as I understand you guys have issue with indexing data that Apple's OS creates on media. This is completely useless since data on SD card is constantly changing and indexing does nothing useful. Check in perferences>spotlight if there is sd card link and uncheck if exist.
    I also use OSX and never ran on this kind of issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Chema Hdez

Chema Hdez New Member

-Return to Top-

well... I friend of mine has the same problem... and the problem was that she uses a MicroSD card with an adapter.... without the microSD card.... the camera thinks that a card is inside, and try to write... on nothing.... when the "Card" (really the adapter) goes to the Mac, the mac shows a problem reading the card... because no card is inside the adapter.... but the SandDisk Extreme that you use isn't a card adapter... ;) try with another card. Maybe the card is broke.

8. Frued

Frued New Member

-Return to Top-

I checked, it wasnt there.
    I am using a normal SD card full physical size.

9. eurotrash

eurotrash Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We pretty much all agree that it's an issue with A: MacOS and B: files being written to the card by said OS. Another card, different and known working sample and no computer involvement would be the first thing I try. If issue persists, one can deduce the camera is to blame and a call to Fuji would be my next step. If the issue is not replicated when no computer interaction is present, then the OS is causing the issue upon insertion. Where you go from there is the question. My issue seems to have resolved itself after a few formats in camera and has not popped up more than a scant number of times in quite awhile. Usually, tuning off the camera and turning it back on again mitigates the issue for whatever reason.

10. eurotrash

eurotrash Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you have a machine running windows? Might be worth a shot to test that too while your at it to see if the issue remains after unerring into that machine. If yes, problem with card is almost 100%. Troubleshoot it as far as you can though, rule out things and the culprit may be something unexpected. Of course it could just be MacOS being ridiculous.