This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Chromebook and X-Series... A Guide In Progress

Discussion in 'Fuji X Post Processing' started by bjorke, Jul 4, 2017.

1. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I couldn't find anything like this, so I've started fleshing-out a simple guide to using X cameras with a Chromebook. Comments and corrections most welcome and encouraged!

Please login to view links

2. pszilard

pszilard remektek.smugmug.com

-Return to Top-

Hi @bjorke - had a look at your blog link. Nicely put together page. What a pity that you can't have comments without the retched spamming. That really sucks.

Anyway, I have an academic curiosity about his project. I have an 11" MBA (MacBook Air), so not looking for a Chromebook, however I did buy a ChromeBOX and am curious how this could all work together.

Do you have any recommendations on how one could remote connect to a Chrome computer? I installed a ChromeBox for an elderly friend and would love to be able to help remotely. I realise that this has nothing to do with your thread, so apologies. Just thought that as you are now an official Chrome Guru, you could advise.

I am subscribing to this thread and look forward to see where it ends up.

bjorke likes this.
  3. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I may be one of the few that is very interested in this. I own a couple of ChromeBooks and sold my MacBook Air some months back. I considered the Android approach and even purchases a Lenovo Chromebook Yoga 11e in anticipation of the play store being available on it. But when I think all of this through and reading your blog post I keep coming back to the simplicity of plugging the card from the camera into the Chromebook and using Polarr for editing. From there I can either write back to the SD card or Google Drive. Once on Google drive I can share from my phone to Instagram, etc.

BTW.. this is what you need for remote support/access involving Chromebook and other platforms. Please login to view links

bjorke likes this.
  4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Active Member

-Return to Top-

Wouldn't Lightroom Mobile work on the Chromebook if it runs Andriod apps?

bjorke likes this.
  5. pszilard

pszilard remektek.smugmug.com

-Return to Top-

Thanks Mike. I'll look into the Chrome Remote Desktop.

I like the Chrome computer approach (Both "Book" and "Box") especially for some IT challenged friends, as it seems to be more resilient and simpler to use than the dreaded Windows, without the cost of Macs, or the potential complications of Linux. However I am also looking at some Linux options in this area.

Anyway, - interesting thread!

gyoung and Solo with others like this.
  6. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes that's in the diagram, lower right! I use it to connect to my linux machines, too (wifi hotspot + chromebook + remote = having a workstation on the train while commuting). I've found it to be an invaluable tool on any Chromebook (the CBP I'm now using is my fifth one, and I've found they make nice gifts as well -- I have a couple of ChromeBits too. Good for hotel TVs in a pinch). On the Chromebook Plus, the native screen resolution is 1200x800, but you can crank it up (shift-ctrl-minus) to 2400x1600 for a large Mac or other PC desktop.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  7. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes it does, but I haven't personally found it all that useful compared to solutions like Snapseed. I mentioned that in the text, but am the first to admit I might be overlooking something important! Are you a mobile LR user? How do you use it?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    MCPOWoller likes this.
  8. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've not used a ChromeBox. Lots of Chromebooks and a couple of ChromeBits, but not the box. Are you asking about "Remote Assistance," when Chrome Remote Desktop opens your computer to another user, so they can help you out?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Active Member

-Return to Top-

If I use my iPhone to edit photos I mostly use Camera +. I work for the U.S. military as a civilian photographer and they pay for Adobe Creative Suite CC which I have loaded on my PC at work, my MBP, my iPad mini and my iPhone 6. If I use my Nikon, Fuji, Sony or even my iPhone for work, I upload it to Lightroom CC, edit/caption it and send it to Defense Imagery (or DIMOC we call it). That way I can shoot/edit almost anywhere. Once back in my office I can save from Adobe CC and store on our 13TB server. If the photo is for personal use I'll edit in Camera + on my iPhone or iPad mini and save to camera roll. Once I get to a wifi hotspot I'll email the final version to myself for backup on my MBP and external HD.

bjorke likes this.
  10. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the input, I've revised the page and will keep revising it... finally got a chance to test on Instax, works perfectly :)

MCPOWoller likes this.