This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Cleaning your camera sensor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jknights, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

If you have a Fuji camera with a removable lens then the following cleaning tips apply.
    Please note that this cleaning is done at your own risk but if you follow the instructions then everything should be safe and you will get a clean sensor.

View attachment Fuji_Sensor_Cleaning.pdf

If you need help or have questions about this then please post against this topic and we will answer.

2. errol afed

errol afed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for posting

3. wyldberi

wyldberi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use Isopropyl alcohol as a solvent to clean the thermal paste off CPU's when I'm refurbishing a computer. It does a good job on that, and also when cleaning the gunk left behind on dishes and glassware by those sticky price labels that don't like to come off.

It might work for cleaning the glass filters mounted on sensors, but I don't think I'd trust it for that. Isopropyl alcohol can leave behind a residue. The methanol, or methyl alcohol mentioned would be my choice for cleaning the sensor filters; less chance of leaving the surface contaminated, which is why science laboratories specify methyl alcohol.

Treat that task the same as you would cleaning a good multi-coated lens: only use enough cleaning fluid to dampen the surface layer of glass; you don't want to soak the surface and have it drip over the edge.

I'm not familiar with the Re-air product. I think Giotto makes a blower that includes a filter at the air intake to screen out dust particles. I'd rather use this to help dry the alcohol if I don't want to wait for it to air dry.

4. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

I'd be a bit hesitant to use a Q Tip because of stray fibers being left behind.

5. wyldberi

wyldberi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with you, though I imagine it would be possible to see such a fiber on close inspection, which you would want to do anyway after cleaning the filters that cover the sensor.

I usually buy photographic filters from a website: <2filter.com>. I was browsing there last night and noticed they sell some items for cleaning sensors filters, in addition to the regular type lens cleaning stuff they stock. It's all probably the same thing. But they had one or two items listed as pre-treated cotton swabs. Now, a Q-tip is a brand of cotton swab. But there are other brands. And I've seen some swabs in physician's offices that are mounted on sticks 8" - 10" long. I think these may be made from a denser layer of cotton that would resist having any of the fibers becoming detached and left behind. Perhaps; perhaps not.

=====

I just noticed that in my previous post above I said something about being frugal with the amount of alcohol used when cleaning the glass filters mounted above the sensor. I failed to omit that you do not want to apply any type of cleaning fluid directly to that glass. You DO want to apply any cleaning fluid used using something like a swab or a lens cleaning paper that has been slightly dampened with the fluid. Just trying to keep the record straight, here.

6. Graham C

Graham C Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A device that I have found invaluable is the Visible Dust Artic Butterfly. It gets rid of much more dirt then an air blower and can often save you doing a wet clean. I have also found the Pentax sensor cleaning kit to be excellent and very easy to use.

7. marsmail

marsmail Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have as yet not needed to wet clean my XE1 sensor.
    I have cleaned my Nikon D300s several times, using the Visible Dust swabs and cleaning fluid.
    It is a slightly scary job first time round, but then you realise that it is not actually all that easy to damage the sensor, provided you work carefully and leave the big hammer out of the job!
    A viewing Loupe is a necessity for checking that the job has gone OK and an illuminated one makes it a lot easier.
    Others recommend other cleaning products - I can only comment on what I have used - it does the job.

marsmail

8. PenGun

PenGun Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is a piece of glass protecting the sensor. It should be no more dangerous than cleaning a lens.

9. Keith Towers

Keith Towers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't cleaned a sensor in a few years now, but when I had the 5D Classic it was a monthly chore for five solid years. I just used a rocket blower and a SensorKlear pen and found it all that was necessary to get a good clean sensor. Advisable to go gently with the rocket blower (gentle puffs of air) or you can kick up a vortex of dust inside the camera. I agree with PenGun, it's no different to cleaning a lens or filter and they should always be cleaned very carefully too.

lysander likes this.
  10. danielsabourin

danielsabourin New Member

-Return to Top-

Something strange just happened to my 56 mm 1.2

While changing lenses from my 23 f 1.4 to my 56, suddenly, the aperture click stop of the lens stopped clicking. They were clicking right just a few second before. The lens was not droped or anything.

I looked at the back of the lens and I don't see any lever or something that could have been displaced. All my other lenses work fine.

Any idea?

Daniel Sabourin

11. Dobson

Dobson Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe this will help. It's not too scary.

Please login or register to view links

12. jknights

-Return to Top-

I gave the choice so people can obtain usable/safe solvents. If you use high quality products (100% pure or better yet ANALAR) then they have no residues.

The Giotto Rocket is my preferred system for people who are trained by me as they are easily purchased. I purchase the Re-Air in Philadelphia 10 years ago. I am not sure that it is available these days.

13. jknights

-Return to Top-

I understand your reluctance but any stray hairs will be blown away in the last air blowing by the Giotto Rocket.

14. mnflycaster

mnflycaster Premium Member

-Return to Top-

pec pad, sensor wand, eclipse... doesn't get any easier.
    Clean my sensors every month this way.
    Too many videos and methods... choose one and have fun!
    Please login or register to view links