This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Compact Kit for Travel, what are your favorite sets?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Apr 6, 2017.

1. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could put an X-T2 and 55-200 in the inside pocket, although it might not be that comfortable.

2. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The whole idea of travelling light is just that...light. I hate wearing a vest or jacket laden with lumpy stuff.

3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I hate going heavy with cameras for anything (although I have been known to haul a bunch of lights, but they are on stands when I'm shooting...).

I also dislike an uneven load, especially over time. Everything in a shoulder bag is handy but unbalanced. A backpack is balanced but not handy. A hip belt and harness system is balanced and handy but looks like "business." So a vest seems like it might offer a good compromise of balance, handiness and not looking too out of place. At least that's why I'm curious...

beakhammer likes this.
  4. David Schneider

-Return to Top-

F2Bthere,

I've been to something like 50 countries. I've kind of stopped worrying about looking out of place. lol. Locals can spot a tourist by their walk, clothes, shoes, etc. But I don't feel too out of place with a black vest, black pants, black shoes in some very nice restaurants in Paris where I've gone three times in the last four years. So it works for me.

My back is pretty bad and a shoulder bag kills me. I think that balance you mentioned is one of the reasons I like a camera on each shoulder underneath vest (or Scottiecoat). Now, no chance I'd do that with FF cameras, but with Fuji X it's like almost no weight at all.

F2Bthere and beakhammer like this.
  5. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, and nice slender slippery straps mean the cameras come up to your eye easily, without catching. I am managing pretty well with a sling bag, as long as it doesn't get too heavy, but a vest is definitely more comfortable.

Sometimes I use somewhat heavy cameras; the best solution for those is one of those figure-8 straps that OpTech makes, with quick clips to connect the camera(s) to the strap. The figure 8 strap is easily worn under your outer vest, jacket, or whatever, and it holds the camera in a very stable position, preventing it from flopping around, and still stays out of the way when the camera comes up to your eye. The strap spreads the load to both shoulders and down your back, so it makes even a large DSLR or medium format camera seem reasonably light. Because the camera slides on the straps, wearing a backpack or shoulder bag won't interfere with the system at all. The quick-clips allow you to remove the camera, or switch cameras, without needing to take your clothes off. This system also means that your cameras can go into a bag, or your pockets, without the added trouble of stuffing a strap in along with the camera. These straps stabilize the camera from both sides, so the camera can be worn much lower on your body, tucked away inside a partly zipped jacket or vest.

For skiing and backpacking, when I need to carry a substantial backpack and still want ready access to cameras I use a large chest pouch that is supported by figure-8 shoulder straps as well. This spreads the load really well and makes carrying a couple of cameras, an extra lens or two, batteries and film with no problem at all. This front-pouch is more protective, weather resistant, and practical for active back-country travel than my vest is. It turns out to be so convenient that I use it in less adventurous settings sometimes as well, such as when I am carrying a bulky large format camera and a big tripod in a backpack, but I want to carry a small camera in a protected but easily accessible place. The front-pouch actually spreads your load, counterbalancing the backpack, and is a surprisingly comfortable and very convenient way to carry gear.

There is no pretending that you are just a casual tourist when you have a bag of cameras strapped to your chest, or when wearing a big khaki vest covered with pockets, but I find that people often ignore me when I am wearing my mega-nerd disguise, possibly writing me off as a harmless hobbyist.

F2Bthere likes this.
  6. David Schneider

-Return to Top-

Black vest for me with black shirt most of the time. I wear it often in studio during the winter too.

In Cuba I did use a lightweight Scottivest that was kind of a light tan. But I think there were only about four others I saw in a week wearing vests as it was 90F (30C) every day.

I picked up my Canon bag to take to the studio and felt my back go. So glad there is gear that is lighter and can do the job. I'm getting close to replacing my 5DMk3 in the studio, but on camera stand it's not a weight thing.

7. jutuiz71

jutuiz71 New Member

-Return to Top-

body
    samyang 12mm
    18-55 mm
    60mm
    EF20 flash (?)
    All fits into a tiny Crumpler Roady 2000 that goes into any other backpack.

Alternative:
    body
    samyang 12mm
    18 mm
    27 mm
    60mm
    EF20 flash (?)
    All will still fit into a tiny Crumpler Roady 2000 that goes into any other backpack.