This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Convince me that 35mm 1.4 is better than f2 version

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by randomshotsfired, Jul 7, 2017.

1. rixpix

rixpix Member

-Return to Top-

I will preface my reaction to this comment by saying I have no expertise or specific knowledge however ...

I do like/buy fast lenses because they are faster (I like to shoot in low light), but I have also thought they were usually better than a slower counterpart (and that has factored into my decision making at times). My thinking was along these lines:
    • The manufacturer usually charges substantially more for a faster lens ... and I expect since it commands a premium price that better build quality, research and design come along with it (maybe I'm naive)
    • Since the manufacturer considers a lens "acceptable" wide open, I've assumed that a faster lens stopped down to the same aperture as its slower counterpart wide open would deliver better IQ (than the slower one). Am I all wet ?
    • I've not heard that a smaller front element => less correction, but have heard that "big glass is good for IQ" ... is this just an old wives tale ?
    • It seems to me that most lenses that I've seen described as having a certain magic are relatively fast lenses for their FL ... but maybe I'm wrong.
    Pardon if I have strayed too much from the original topic, and like response I quoted I am making these observations in general but think that they might apply to the two Fuji 35's.

2. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, but no matter how good the content is, its always about the light.

3. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have both and choose the f/2 version over the f/1.4, mainly because of the quiet and faster autofocus. It's also smaller and lighter.

YouTube has plenty of comparison videos like this one by Ted Viera

4. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

35/1.4 was my first Fuji lens. It's a very good instance of the classic f1.4 normal lens, as used by pretty much every great maker including Zeiss and Leica. It's a variant of the f2, pushed to get more light for focusing SLRs, so it's very sharp in the centre, even wide open. No-one has ever managed to get this design sharp in the corners at f1.4. The result, however, is a wonderful way of rendering portraits at wide aperture, and is sharp and contrasty across the frame at 2.8 and smaller.

The f2 is a completely new design, as far as I know, and seems to be optimised to have consistent, even performance across a wide range of apertures. To achieve this, it does rely on software to some degree, so the design is probably unique to Fujifilm.

Now I only have the f2. My opinion is that the f2 is a lens for pragmatists, while the f1.4 is a lens for those for whom the aesthetics are paramount.

You can do things with the f1.4 that you just can't do with the f2, but for my purposes, the f2 is a little more practical.

As said before, IQ isn't everything.

5. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

You realise that the light is very much the content right?

In fact if you remove the light then there is no content

Angus likes this.
  6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As a generalization, most faster lenses which fall into the category of "professional" lenses are, indeed, significantly more expensive and are built with more concern about quality than about final cost. On the face of it, paying several times as much for one lens which is, say, f1.4, when you can get another lens which is, say, f1.8, for a fraction of the price is crazy. The "professional" lens, again as a generalization, is usually designed to perform quite well wide open and the "lesser" grade lens often performs poorly wide open, relatively speaking.

These generalizations apply better to brands like Nikon and Canon, which offer a broad range of lenses from "consumer" grade up through "professional" grade with many variants, and less well to a company like Leica which is not very interested in producing cost controlled lenses (again, we are in general terms here and the Leica name gets licensed out for consumer cameras, which throws this off a bit, but for M and R lenses it holds pretty well).

Fuji falls a bit between the two. The faster lenses, so far, tend to be a bit better. It is certainly the case with rendering and optical correction in the specific case under discussion here. With Fuji, the quality gap between lenses is much smaller than with Canon or Nikon (and the price gap is also smaller).

BUT...in all cases, it pays to be specific about what your criteria is for judging lenses and it is very important to compare the specific lenses in question. Generalizations are a fair starting point, but they are wrong often enough in specific cases. :)

adamjbonn and Angus like this.
  7. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I owned both lenses.

The 35/1.4 delivers superior optical performance.

The 35/2 is more convenient (smaller, lighter and newer AF motor technology).

So we have to decide which is more important. For my projects, the differences in optical advantages are less significant than the gains in convenience. So I sold the 35/1.4

This is a completely subjective preference. The opposite conclusion is equally valid.

8. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I agree. If you need the extra stop get the f1.4 but if you can manage with f2 you have a faster focusing lens.