This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Doel

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Cornelis1980, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Cornelis1980

Cornelis1980 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

A sunset above the lost village of Doel, near the nuclear power plant (sort of old Vs new). Ans offcourse, the river Schelde... Two slightly different pictures. One post processed in colour. Nu fujifilm filter, however, I used it when making the picture to see what end result I could achieve. The second one had the acros Green filter applied in post processing (I always shoot raw and jpeg). Final tweaking in Photoshop (warmed the acros a little bit, but, that’s taste offcourse...).
    I used the Lee filter kit, The Lee big stopper to achieve a long shutter speed and a 3 stop ND filter to bring the sun into line.
    My X-T2 performed very well, as dit the 18-55 f2.8-4 (how I love this lens).
    Both Shots were taken at ISO 100 f7 and ss 60”

Doel vanuit Lillo.jpg Lillo B en W.jpg

2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I cant decide which one of the two I prefer. I think I am leaning towards the colour version.

Cornelis1980 likes this.
  3. Ron P

Ron P Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure what the photo is supposed to be highlighting. I assume it's the power plant, but my eye is drawn to the shaft of sunlight as the focus point of the image. I would tone down that brightness and lighten up the power plant so that my eye is more easily drawn there, if that's your intent. I prefer the B&W image.

Cornelis1980 likes this.
  4. Cornelis1980

-Return to Top-

Well, Basically the intent was a sunset... The location Doel and it’s story which is entangled with the Port of Antwerp is well known to local people in Antwerp and maybe even broader in Belgium. Thus, the story is somewhat more difficult to capture when you simply look at the picture without this background. About composition, the river and river bank are to me the leading lines, that lead you from the village of Doel (right under the sun) to the nucleair power plant and beyond. I did some dodge and burn and in the high quality image, the tones of the cooling towers are brighter. And the colours more alive... By placing the cooling towers on a third, they should also draw attention...
    The shaft of the sunlight is indeed very bright (too bright as you say) , but toning that down didn’t work out the way I expected...
    Uploading pictures on the forum changes the tones colours (at least with my pictures) and I wonder if that’s something I can control?

5. NormanCh

NormanCh New Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with you. I Love b&w and the beauty of your colour photo is that it combines both.

Cornelis1980 likes this.
  6. PAE

PAE Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Knowing the region, I would also lean towards the colour version, and skip cranes

Cornelis1980 likes this.
  7. Cornelis1980

-Return to Top-

I’ll try another crop ;)