This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Elm leaf

Discussion in 'Wildlife-Nature' started by nimbushopper, Jan 11, 2017.

1. nimbushopper

nimbushopper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Taken this morning with XE-1 and 35mm f1.4 at F2.5, 1/125sec.
    [​IMG]DSCF7793 by nimbushopper, on Flickr

2. twest820

twest820 119777C

-Return to Top-

Are you certain of the genus? Offhand I can't think of a palmately lobed Ulmus species with margins entire and am not seeing any on a quick search of keys within Ulmaceae.

3. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice image, but per twest820's comment, it does look like a type of maple.

4. nimbushopper

nimbushopper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I stand corrected! It is a sycamore tree leaf. I was fooled because the trunk of the tree is very similar to an elm.

5. twest820

twest820 119777C

-Return to Top-

Kinda, yeah, though Acer is fairly distinct from Platanus and Australian species with sycamore as a common name. Ceratopetalum, Cryptocarya, Platanus, and such aren't genera I'm familiar with but my hunch is not Acer pseudoplatanus. Without more clues from @nimbushopper that's purely speculative, however.

6. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sycamore sounds more like it now. It is quite uncommon here as we are on the extreme outer edge of its distribution. There is only one I can think of nearby, on our neighbor’s property a couple doors down. Every time I walk past it, I wonder what kind of “maple” it is, because the bark is so different than the common maples here, and I never see any other trees like it. I’ve been expecting that tree to die for years because the bark looks so flaky and patchy, as if diseased. But googling sycamore, I see that bark is characteristic. So... another mystery solved.
    :sword:

7. twest820

twest820 119777C

-Return to Top-

Platanus occidentalis, mayhap? Exfoliating bark is common among woody plants and usually just an indication they're growing (some species, for example Pinus ponderosa, have even arranged clever benefits from getting rid of bark). Some types of exfoliation are associated with pathogens, however.