This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Environmental Portraits

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by pec, May 19, 2017.

1. pec

pec Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi - do any of you have a website where you post images? I'd love to see portraits when overpowering the sun. I am picking up an x100f primarily as a travel camera but also for environmental portrait rig. i have the xp2/xt1 and the nissin i40 and ef-x20 flash. thanks!

2. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why don't you post an example of what you mean?

3. pec

pec Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i don't have the x100 yet - looking for flashed environmental portraits in mid day - iso 200, f2 or f2.8 with 1/1000 (prob using ND) having a hard time googling/youtubing to see where folks are actually making use of the leaf shutter.

4. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, I did a google search using "x100 strobe + leaf shutter". A number of things were found along with a string of "images". I found the "images" to be representative of my experience.

Roger

5. EAB

EAB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd have to try to dig them out but shot 4-somes at a golf tournament quite succesfully a couple of years ago using an x100s. Set up was X100s linked to an off camera flash (Nikon SB 800 unit on manual in a beauty dish on a boomed C stand) via an elongated SC-17 cord (about 20 years old - I bught a few of them when they were on offer, cord is about 20 feet long say @6-7m), Worked well and was easily able to balance my exposure in open shade with full sun behind the groups. Don't remember the ss but it was pretty high as this was a Virginia summers day. In this case of course I wasnt overpowering the sun I was getting myself into the territory where the sun would cooperate with me.

Was I forced to shoot in full sun (say the Mall at high noon) the first thing I would do is set up a Please login or register to view links (Cal. Sun Bounce) or the like and provide a bit of shade. Then fill the shade appropriately. Actually overpowering the sun can be a real problem, though I grant you that if you need to shoot skiers coming downhill, bikers or other fast paced outdoor activities you'll need to do just that. In which case I'd advise a fast Quadra system or something similar.

6. DaveW19904

DaveW19904 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Strobist.com has lots of stuff about doing what you want to do...

7. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's pretty much what I do. The x100f is great for underexposing backgrounds. Not all of these are with the x100f or x100s but you get the idea. Please login or register to view links

8. pec

pec Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, Jon

Great images, i am sure your clients loved them!