This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fine-Tune White Balance?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Bruce K, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

I've set my white balance to 4500k and I've made some fine-tune adjustments of R and B. I am curious how I could make a green adjustment if that is possible? Please note I am color blind so I have to do this mechanically. Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 9.41.13 AM.png

2. monst

monst Premium Member

-Return to Top-

red is the opposite of green so changing that will change the green

3. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

So does reducing the red increase the green?

4. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes.

5. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the help.

6. PatrickP

PatrickP Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm wondering why you want to do that. Even more if you say you are color blind. These kind of changes do more harm than good if you change it for all photos you take...

7. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

I'm setting up to shoot in my shop/studio which has all 5000k LED lights, and I have many windows. Auto white balance is good, but it shifts throughout the day as the sunlight changes, and it changes based on subject matter. I need a consistent white balance so I don't need to rely on my eyes since I am color blind (red/green). My wife has been helping me confirm the colors in my photos. So far using a white balance K setting with some R and B adjustments is working good and it is consistent.

8. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If the light is changing through the day wouldn't manual white balancing each shot be a good solution ?

EDIT: I don't mean changing color temperature, I mean using a white card, manually.

9. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

I do understand what you are saying, and I have tried that. My studio photos lights and my overhead lights are all 5000k. They blow out most of the sunlight effects. It seems like of all the settings I have tried this white balance K setting works the best for me in this situation.

10. magmouse

magmouse Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No. The opposite of green is magenta, which in the RGB system is a mix of red and blue. So to add green, you need to remove equal amounts of red and blue. This means moving the control point down and to the left in the colour balance control widget. Similarly, to reduce green, add equal amounts of red and blue.

spudl and pfogle like this.
  11. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I see ..... You mean that the auto WB (internal camera setting) changes when the colors of the objects you are photographing change.
    You don't mean that the window light changes (because your studio lights dominate).

Side note: I am not positive that setting K temperature will yield a perfectly consistent white card color (white!) if you change a lot of the other colors in the frame. I am thinking that it may just be scaling its Auto WB calculation. Which would be just as inconsistent as setting Auto WB. I don't know one way or the other, but I would check that out if colors are very important. (I promise myself to look at this at some point.)

12. spudl

spudl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find a solid knowledge of the colour wheel is a good starting point for adjusting colour balance.

13. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If his lights are consistent, WB will be consistent, regardless of subject colour. If he adjusts the hue it will likewise be consistent for all his shots, regardless of subject colour.

14. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

I shot many pictures in my shop/studio throughout the day with varying amounts of ambient sunlight and I had my wife review them for color accuracy. It seems I have the K setting with the minor R and B fine tuning correct. Using one setting will save me a lot of time while shooting and in post.

I also had her tell me the colors on the R B grid on the camera screen, and now I can tell which way to move to make the minor adjustments. I did find that it was a combination of first finding the correct K value, then fine tuning from there. It was a good exercise.

15. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

And that is exactly what I need. Thanks

16. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've decided that I don't really inderstand the problem, so it's safe to ignore whatever I posted above.
    :p

17. Bruce K

Bruce K Member

-Return to Top-

Leoda1945, like I said; "I am color blind so I have to do this mechanically." Your comments were helpful.

leoda1945 likes this.