This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Firmware Wish

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Forum GAS, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Forum GAS

Forum GAS Member

-Return to Top-

I wish for a view of the common print sizes in the viewfinder. Maybe let me scroll through the various options. This would be great for us Fujifilm for Dummies users.

2. Allsop

Allsop Member

-Return to Top-

For a bit of fun I searched on Amazon for "Fujifilm for Dummies" and got these titles:

Bookkeeping and Accounting All-in-One For Dummies,
    Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies,
    Artificial Intelligence For Dummies,
    Psychology for Dummies.

I can understand how Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Artificial Intelligence could apply and even Psychology at a push but Bookeeping and Accounting I don't think so!

3. Martin E

Martin E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And why not. Unfortunately I doubt if it will catch on as we live in an age of pixel peepers. Great that you want to make prints though.

4. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

What are "common print sizes", if every printer has different margin specifications? I think it would be very hard to offer a one-size-fits-all solution for this issue.

5. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My Fuji X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 have three aspect ratios:

3:2 which matches 20x30 inch prints, my 6x9cm medium format camera, and my 35mm cameras

16:9 which I do not find useful

1:1 which matches my 6x6cm medium format camera and square prints

I wish they had three more:

4:3 to match 40x30 inch prints and my micro 4/3 camera

5:4 to match 10x8 inch, 20x16 inch, and 5x4 inch prints; and my 4x5 inch large format camera

7:6 to match my 6x7cm medium format camera

cug likes this.
  6. Earley Man

Earley Man Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At every event I have attended since I bought my X-T1 in 2015 and where a Fuji rep, of any type has also attended, I have asked why we cannot have 5x4 and 4x3 aspect ratios in camera. The result has always been a deafening silence.

I have pointed out to them that all the top end professional Nikon cameras have an in camera 5x4 ratio as it is the size that professional event photographers need for their dye sub printers. Fuji started with making film and paper and yet they are seemingly unaware of the importance of 5x4 in America and Europe.

Narsuitus likes this.
  7. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fujifilm seem to treat suggestions to fix flaws as an insult, but in fact they are treating their customers with disdain!
    Not responding is in itself insulting!

8. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

@Mike Gorman I think your statement is based on a cultural misunderstanding:

While we westerners would consider a statement of a company manager as a personal statement, Asian companies often expect from their managers to keep silent until there's an official statement that is backed by company policy. Reaching such a position requires many more consultations as we as westerners would expect. This explains the often long silence of Asian companies vis a vis requests from western customers.

But - once the entire hierarchy has agreed on a new policy, they'll also openly talk about it, and will probably enforce it with much greater consequence.

Example: I discussed using the X cameras' JPG engine to remotely develop RAW files under computer control - four years ago on a Photokina show. I never heard anything back from them - until they introduced X Raw Studio. Who knows, Fuji might have taken my idea as a suggestion for the development of this piece of software. I'm never going to know...

AndyH44 likes this.
  9. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

I hear what you say Arjay, but an acknowledgement of a question or request would be preferable to silence, even if that is all! Inscrutable silence is seen by most people as rudeness and can be bloody frustrating!
    I know it’s flogging a dead horse, but us uncultured Westerners spend a lot of money on their products, so a teeny weeny little snippet of acknowledgement would be nice!

mikEm13 likes this.
  10. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

@Mike Gorman Would a statement of "we can't tell you anything yet - we'll tell you if or when we've decided" satisfy you? I don't think you should expect anything else if their management hasn't made a decision.

AndyH44 likes this.
  11. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

I've searched, but none of my Fuji cameras have a triangle crop option (to match the pyramids), or circle (to match that set of painted porcelain plates I have on the wall).

It's disappointing to be honest.

Just shoot 3:2 and crop!

Being serious, I set my framing either 16:9 or 1:1 depending on the job, but then crop from the standard 3:2 raw as it gives me most flexibility.

Ditto for those that shoot Jpeg, 3:2 is going to be your best option SOOC because it gives you the most flexible cropping options.

12. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

That would be better than stony silence!

13. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Cropping is not always the desired effect.

When I am shooting with my 4x5 inch view camera, I like to take test shots with my digital camera. I would love to use my Fuji digital but use my Canon G15 compact instead because I am able to alter its aspect ratio to 4:5 to match my view camera. I wish I could do the same with my Fuji.

14. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you! This request has already often been made, but this is the first time someone has provided a well-founded justification for it.

Narsuitus likes this.
  15. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

That's a fair point.

16. bralk

bralk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Highest priority: Option to disable the Q button on the X-100F:mad:

17. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's actually BY FAR not the first time. The most simple justification is found in the Fuji system itself. You might want to set the aspect ratio either while taking the shot or post-processing the raw in-camera to fit the aspect ratio of Fujis own Instax printer (3:4). They should either NOT support printing to Instax from the camera OR start supporting the Instax aspect ratio.

And the best joke is that the GFX has that aspect ratio. So, if you want to print directly to Instax while knowing what your print will look like, the GFX is your best option ...