This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Focus accuracy X-T1

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Marley Buffett, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Marley Buffett

Marley Buffett New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello all,
    it's been a while since I've been on. I've made a lot of improvement with my camera over the past two years but I still can't understand how to get the auto focus to select the correct subject when shooting continuous (C on the front) and CL on the dial. The lens is set on manual.
    I tried to upload two photos to show you but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. The settings are the same on both photos.
    Is there a way to make the focal point more accurate?

DSCF4385.jpg

DSCF4405.jpg

2. AndyH44

AndyH44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lens set on "manual" ..... What lens?

3. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

4. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

focal length 50.5 JPG not RAW

5. AndyH44

AndyH44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is the camera and lens firmware up to date? Body =>5.40 Lens =3.22
    X-T1 doesn't have the quickest "C" focus. Try "S"
    Use OIS; your images are "fuzzy" to me.

6. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

'S' with 'CL'?
    they are fuzzy to me too. I think the focal length is a problem with that lens. I extended it too far maybe.

7. spudl

spudl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, but the lens is set on manual and your'e trying to get autofocus? Do you mean manual exposure on the lens? For this subject I would set single point autofocus, smallest point possible and set the point over the subjects eye.

8. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

That is what I am struggling with. Having the lens in manual focus and then expecting an auto focus result does not make sense to me.

9. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

Yes, you are right, I meant Manual exposure on lens. I don't have the technical verbiage. How do I set a single point auto focus smaller?

10. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

in CL you don't have a choice of focusing the lens unless I am wrong?

11. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Generally, I have found the smallest focus box isn't the best for most Fuji. It is too small and doesn't contain enough information for the best focus. Too easy for it to get confused. Generally best to size the focus box up just a little to the next size larger. Your mileage may vary.

hobbyhorse likes this.
  12. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with @David Schneider , the smallest focus point does not deliver the best results (for me)
    May I ask the OP why are you using manual focus?

13. nimbushopper

nimbushopper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In the first picture the girl is in focus. But in the second picture it looks like the focus is on the rocks way behind her.

14. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For a scene like this I'd probably just use single-point focus (second-smallest-focus square), and definitely S on the front. From her poses I wouldn't expect her to move more than a few centimeters back and forth, so even in CL, you should be better off than on C-Mode. Just lift your finger when she changes her pose, recompose and refocus.

In C-mode I generally don't get the best results on a relatively stationary subject. If she was walking towards you or doing Yoga or Karate at the beach, C would be fine, of course.

You could also try face detection, which should work well in a scene where your subject is the only face that the camera can lock on to.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    fatdeko likes this.
  15. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

That's my question. If the focus box is on the subjects face, why am I getting focus behind her?

16. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

OK, thank you for the information. This camera is different from my old Rebel and it takes some getting used to. Sometimes I think I never will.
    One more question. How can I have manual focus in the CL mode when the subject is still? In CL + C mode I have no control over the manual focus.

17. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

Everyone keeps talking about small or big focus boxes and I don't know how to change them. It seems that even in the focus mode that came with the camera (since I don't know how to change it) I still have problems getting it to focus on what I want.

18. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In that case you should really look at the manual! There’s also an XT-1 AF special site on the Fuji website, that explains the different modes very well. Google it. It’s not hard to find!

lysander likes this.
  19. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When using the XT series and the 18-55 or for that matter any of the lenses, you go to the smallest focus box and make sure it is placed on the subjects eye or as close as you can get to the eye. While experimenting don't use the widest aperture but select something like f4.0-5.6 till your skill set and accuracy improves. IMPORTANT, shutter speed should always be at least 1-1.5 times the focal length so if your shooting at 55mm the shutter speed should be around 1/90 of a second. Even the most professional photographers such as Damien Lovegrove use this as their recommended shutter speed and recommend it in their tutorials. Many times what appears to be missed focus is actually camera movement. You might want to check out Please login or register to view linksand around the 1:30 mark, when he is showing the back of the camera, note where he places the focus points. (You are not going to see this by watching it on a cell phone so check it out on a computer or smart TV with Youtube capabilities.) If you find some of his earlier videos he demonstrates this technique using an X-T1 but in this demonstration he is using a X-T2. Personally I never use anything but the smallest focus point and spot, or single point focus. It's the only way you can assure you arte getting what you want in sharp focus. BTW you only use Continuous focus (C) for moving subjects. In the shots you are taking single(S) is preferred.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

I can't figure out how to update the lens