This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

FOLLOWUP TO "FILMING A DOG SHOW"

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Throwrock, Oct 13, 2017 at 2:43 AM.

1. Throwrock

Throwrock New Member

-Return to Top-

A few weeks ago I posted that I had been hired to film a national dog show competition outside of Philadelphia. I was anxious about the viability of using my X-T2 for such a prominent assignment and asked advice about how to best guarantee results with the moving targets (dogs and handlers).

There were various answers. One suggested simply: "Why not just borrow/rent a video camera designed for just that purpose?" So I did; a friend loaned me his Panasonic HC-X1000 4K video camera. It had dual 128GB memory cards and a five hour battery.

Things started out well. It was supposed to be a three hour breeze; however, because of the sheer mass of last minute entries, it turned into a 6 1/2 hour marathon. The camera started glitching early with various "Error" messages and shut down at crucial times, causing me to lose some important footage when I could least afford to do so.

Finally in frustration I laid aside the "pro" camera and pulled out my X-T2 with the 50-140 lens and AF-C settings already laid in place. With the way that mirrorless cameras use up batteries I was constantly refeeding it (need to buy a battery grip!). But the X-T2 saved the day. It didn't miss a shot.

In postprocessing in Final Cut Pro, I found that I preferred the footage from the Fuji and that the focus stayed true nearly all the time.

I'll keep practicing video with the X-T2 and increasing confidence and competence in it. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions and encouragement.

2. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the follow up. It's one of those things we usually forget to do. We ask for advice and forget to comment how it went. It's reassuring to hear that you prefer the footage from the X-T2. I've never shot video with it, but may do so in the future.

3. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Great story. glad the X can was up to the task! I'm not a demanding video user so the film sim footage sooc is good enough for me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 5:14 AM
  4. Nick Pitsas

Nick Pitsas Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Good to hear that you managed to get through it. As you've discovered, the battery grip is essential for video, not only for the longer running time, but because it allows you to monitor audio.