This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

foodies in la...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by redshifted, May 20, 2017.

1. redshifted

redshifted Premium Member

-Return to Top-

SpringEggSlutCounterMarketLA.jpg

X-T2 and XF60mm while waiting in line at the "eggslut" counter in the Grand Central Market in LA.
    This was the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had.
    My local "Fox in the Snow" breakfast sandwich is close - but eggslut wins :cool:.

Thanks for looking,
    Ed

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Mike Gorman, SithTracy and mnhoj like this.
  2. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like it, but also think it would be cool in black and white.

3. redshifted

-Return to Top-

SpringEggSlutCounterMarketLABW.jpg

Thanks,
    Black and white works but I think the color version captures the mood better.
    Best,
    Ed

Mike Gorman and SithTracy like this.
  4. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

What kind of post processing was done on the color version?

5. redshifted

-Return to Top-

PSCC 2017 RAW conversion with a little shadow lifting and WB adjustment, a little dodging on one customer's face and a little saturation bump - shrug.
    Hope this helps,
    Ed

6. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Interesting. Of all the Fuji images I've looked at, a small percentage seem to have a special quality which I can't really define. It almost looks like some kind of filter, but apparently not. Thanks.

redshifted likes this.
  7. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No picture of the food.

8. redshifted

-Return to Top-

SpringEggslutSandwichiPhone6Plus.jpg

An iPhone6+ pic edited on the phone.
    Enjoy,
    Ed

9. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I must be showing my age but the concept of a business with that name is something I find uncomfortable.

johant likes this.
  10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You are correct to see this image as significantly post processed. It is. I didn't create it and don't have the original files to look at, but I can still tell you a bit about it. Only the person who did the post can tell you the actual methods used (there are many possible paths), but I can give you a pretty clear indication of a few of the specific directions taken.

This image has a pretty strong boost in mid-tone contrast. You can achieve this a number of ways. The easiest way to play with it is to use the clarity slider in PS Camera RAW or LR. If you use Capture One, there are some great tools which work quite well and with more subtlety, which requires more skilled manipulation to achieve in LR or Camera RAW (using curves, as one option). When you bump mid-tone contrast, you will naturally get a bump in saturation (unless you work against that).

The image also has a strong color contrast. You will notice a blue and orange dominance. The skin tones especially are more orange and the shadows are more blue. And most of the other colors appear to have been driven to one or the other.

These affects can be achieved with a filter. They can also be achieved in a number of other specific ways (curves, LUTs, Capture One's advanced color editor, split toning...too many to list all).

On the most basic level, all of this could be done with curves, but this is often the case. If you master one tool, let it be curves using layers :).

If you are interested in getting to the heart of this type of look, I suggest looking into these two topics, which will help you on your path: single image HDR and Color Grading.

If I was post processing this image, I would start with Capture One and maximize the tonal range I could draw out of the RAW file. I would then decide to finish the image in Capture One or PS, depending on the file. I like the direction, which I think serves this interesting image well. I would probably have toned back the Orange on the skin just a touch.

As I said, you are right to think post processing is a significant factor in achieving this effect and you can learn to get at it. The other important factor is the lighting on the image you start with.

11. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Yes, the OP had good light to start, and interesting characters, and composition, too.

There are three images that stick in my mind as having this subtle quality, slightly uncanny, if that's the word - that remind me of illustration work in a hyper-realistic style. I'm not saying they look like paintings, but they remind me of art work, in the same way that very realistic paintings look like photographs, just for a second, until you take a closer look. The uncanny boundary, if you know what I mean.

I've been using Photoshop since version 5 (Mac), and Lightroom for almost 2 years. And I've done a fair bit of HDR using Photomatix. Thinking about trying Capture One. Does it work with RAF, non-destructively, like Lightroom, or do you have to save your edits in a modified format?

12. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Capture One works non-destructively with all Raw files including RAF.

13. redshifted

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the illuminating post,

I had no idea I was doing all that processing.

I am happy to walk through the processing of this image.
    I started with a file that was underexposed by 0.67 stops to preserve the highlights.
    I don't shoot for the jpg very often but instead try to capture as much dynamic range as possible in the RAW file expecting to process it later to achieve the look of the scene I saw when I took the pic.
    I took this pic specifically because the light was interesting and the people were very animated.

I developed the RAW in PSCC2017 by lifting the shadows, lowering the highlights, lowering the contrast slightly, increasing the overall exposure and increasing the saturation to normal levels.
    This combo opened up the shadows. I then used some combination of Exposure and Curves to achieve the overall finished exposure. I dodged the shadow side of the guy's face by the coffee urn.
    The next step was to the adjust the color balance using the channels in Saturation but there were no changes to the color channels. I don't know where you're getting that.
    The color on the warmly lit woman's face is the way the light was reflecting back on her. The light in the scene was interesting because of the light bouncing off the buildings next to this open air market.
    I think this created the "strong color contrast" and "orange and blue dominance" you see.

No layers or HDR were used. The last step was to resize, sharpen, add signature and post to the internet.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

14. redshifted

-Return to Top-

Shrug, it's a very successful place with a couple of locations around LA.
    The food was excellent.

15. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Indeed it does work nondestructively with Fuji RAW files, and does RAW conversion and processing quite powerfully.

This is an "HDR look" but you don't need to use HDR tools to get it. In fact, you could, as I said, probably do all of it with curves layers.

I simply recommend the shadow and highlight recovery sliders in C1(as needed) combined with the exposure slider as a starting point to get the image dynamic range where you want it. Then add clarity (or a curve) to increase contrast in the midtones. Adjust the colors as needed (you can use white balance, curves, channel mixer, C1 advanced color editor. LUTs...so many options). Use the tool you are familiar with.

And your reverse uncanny valley metaphor is, I think, a very good description.

I would be interested if you shared links to the other images like this you enjoyed.