This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji 90 f2 might be melting camera(s)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Glovernotafighter, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

First post - so I might screw this up.

Anyway, if you can see the photo of my X-T2 then you can see the melting that has occurred after using the 90 F2. Yes I do shoot onto the sun but not for long exposures and I'm careful (knowing that live view in mirrorless means the sensor is always being exposed while the camera is on) not to spend too much time shooting the sun.

I would have thought that if it was a case if the sun being magnified it would melt the sensor and not the frame around it (the sensor appears fine)

The worst part is that I just switched to the X-T2 after going through what I thought was two xpro2's that had melted parts inside near the sensor! And it might be my/the lenses fault!

Any help anyone might have would be appreciated. 20161119_164638.jpg

2. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

Just so you know what I mean by shooting pics of the sun here is an example so everyone doesn't think I'm crazy! IMG_20161107_083914.jpg

PBJello, CWRailman, Topsy and 2 others like this.
  3. Macmodus

Macmodus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Seems more like a melted lubricant?

you would be able to remove or is it in the material?

4. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

No I agree that the photo looks like it's wet but if you feel it its the plastic that's melted (it's completely dry and I doubt it could be scraped off.)

5. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmmm...
    I looked at it again and I guess it could be lubricant but would that dry to the point where it was completely solid I wonder?

6. Macmodus

Macmodus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can show you pictures of the inside edge of the XF90. is there something to see?
    How open is the lens on the inside? Could it be?

7. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

No I checked with a pretty powerful led light to see if anything looked amiss and the lens looks perfect (although I don't recommend looking at any lens that closely with an led light because you see how dusty everything is ) - I also just took the time to check all of my other lenses just in case and they look fine too.
    Also - thanks for trying to help, I've never posted before and I really appreciate your quick responses!

8. AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If it was the bright focussed light of the sun causing problems, it would be impacting an area it was focussed on, not an off image area.

The mess below the sensor looks like dried goop. Has the X-T2 been laid on it's back in the heat of the day with the lens on? Maybe the lube becomes more liquid then and drips off the lens onto that area. Sure looks like drips not focussed sunlight.

archisan likes this.
  9. nivaun

nivaun Member

-Return to Top-

Seems like Fujifilm is who you should be asking. This is very strange, especially where it has dripped to. Can’t think of too many places a lubricant or an adhesive can drip from if your camera is at the angle you show in the sunset photo. Especially if the exposure isn’t long enough to really heat anything up. I guess lubricant from the OIS mechanism could be a possibility.

10. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah the more we talk about some sort of dried liquid the more I think you guys might be right.

11. ordinaryimages

ordinaryimages Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Looks topical to me, I've had no issue with this lens. The post above seems on the mark.

12. JohnX

JohnX Member

-Return to Top-

Have you posted this before, here or anywhere else?

If not, I've seen this self same issue posted in the past 4-6 weeks, but can't remember where.

13. Jeff123

Jeff123 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you really need to go to Fuji support with this. Hard for me to tell from the image but that material does not look like it is melting of the mount material but rather some other material dripping onto it.

14. JRJ

JRJ Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I can't really contribute to the topic at hand, but that's a nice photo.

15. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

No I haven't posted on here or anywhere else. It has happened to me before as I mentioned with two other xpro2 s but on those bodies what ever it was also dripped onto the sensor which was even worse.

16. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks!

17. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's hard to say with a 2 dimensional image - but I'd guess that that looks like some form of liquid spatter. There appear to be 5 distinct areas and if you look at the middle one and the right hand one they both continue up into the stepped area towards the sensor - as if it's a liquid dribble. Have you tried removing it with say a cotton bud and a bit of isopropyl alcohol ? I'd try that but make sure you are sparing with the fluid and only rub gently. I've no idea where it could have come from if it is dried liquid. Just a guess but could it be sea spray from changing lenses at the shore?

18. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

That looks like a liquid that has dried or molten substance that has solidified.
    I dont think it has anything to do with the type of photos you take.
    Nice photo of the heron at sunset BTW.

So I think I would follow Jamie's suggestion to see if you can dissolve some of it away using a damp cotton bud using isopropyl alcohol as the solvent. Do not use something like acetone!

I think you should email a photo to Fuji info@Fujitec.com asking them what they think is happening. You will need to tell them lens model, camera model and possibly serial number so they can do a check.

19. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

I tried the isopropyl alcohol but it doesnt seem to have any effect

I think If it is liquid then its melted and has beCome part of the plastic because its rock hard

Here's a photo of the area after cleaning: (if it looks different then I think that's just my crappy lighting job)

20161120_094843.jpg

20. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think I would now give the sensor a quick clean with a Giotto Rocket blower or the like and check the sensor is clean. If not then do a wet clean.
    This is my method Cleaning your camera sensor
    However others may prefer their own method or derivations. As long as the sensor is clean then that is good. Clean sensor is important in your images.