This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji 90 f2 might be melting camera(s)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Glovernotafighter, Nov 19, 2016.

1. starlights

starlights Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As others have stated, I have never seen a problem like this with my 90 or any other lens. If it is indeed melting (which is not very clear from the images), one temporary quick fix would be to cut a piece of black cine foil and put it where the melt seems to be happening. It will help with heat dispersion, if that is indeed the case.

2. supernova

supernova Member

-Return to Top-

Hey. Followed a link to this thread today and did not know this was a thing. I have the same thing on my X-T1. I have used the 90mm on this camera.

fujixt1_meltystuffsm.jpg

3. Glovernotafighter

Glovernotafighter Member

-Return to Top-

Well that looks like the same issue but I've never had the issue with the 90 on my Xt1 so I thought it was only a problem with some of the new bodies. Fuji ended up repairing the X-T2 (although it melted after the first repair but the second repair was good) - after the repair I've tried shooting with every lens I own and included the sun in the frame and have had no further issues. Fuji said they replaced the sensor filter (or cover perhaps) and the surround around it.

4. TylerS

TylerS New Member

-Return to Top-

I also have the same issue with my XT-2 from possibly using the 90mm. I used my 27mm and 18-55 in the same day I noticed the issue. Took it to my local camera shop and they tried to clean it but said it appeared the plastic was melted where the drops were. I mentioned that the camera felt pretty warm in the hand after shooting for an hour and hadn't noticed that before. Its getting sent to fuji to get it looked at.

IMG_2442.JPG

5. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Amazing, I have the exact same issue with my Xt-10, I also initially thought it was something like glue or corrosive substance but it must be the plastic melting from heat. I say that because you can see in the pic above the mark is right on the very edge of the sensor housing but no mark on the sensor, I have a mark in a very similar location, I thought I just dodged the bullet and the next drop of whatever was causing this would be on the sensor which would destroy it, the plastic melting would explain how the sensor is fine but the plastic sensor surround is not.

I don't have the 90mm F2 but I do use a lot of adapted manual lenses and the 16-50mm is the main Fujifilm lens I use, I do also have the 35mm F2 and 18mm F2 .

Mine has got progressively worse, more spots cropping up and I virtually never shoot into the sun or use/store the body in hot conditions, here is the thread I started:
    Please login or register to view links

6. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Those that have had this issue, do any of you use adapted lenses?

This is an interesting link:
    Please login or register to view links

The point in the link above about adapted lenses is that because they are designed to cover a larger image circle using adapted lenses would make the plastic surrounding the sensor more prone to being caught under the sun with a proverbial magnifying glass, so even if the direct sun was not in the image it may be still landing on the plastic surround.

Interesting, never had this issue previously on canon bodies nor my Xpro1 but it was only when I got the Xt10 that I started using adapted lenses and that's the body having this problem.

lightningwizard likes this.