This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji lens you bought but never end up using

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by nwcs, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Eric

Eric Member

-Return to Top-

Really interesting thread. I looked backed through my photos and the lens that was used the least turned out to be the 27, but I actually like that lens quite a lot!

I have quite a few Fuji lenses (14, 16, 23, 27, 35, 60, 10-24, 18-55, 18-135) but they've all got their purpose. For the type of shooting I enjoy the most it seems the lenses that I am least enthusiastic about - bear in mind they both are excellent - are my two longer zooms, the 55-200 and 100-400. I guess these days I just enjoy wider to normal focal lengths.

2. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fair enough!

Those who prefer the 23/1.4 over its smaller brethren though, apparently not only value its light gathering ability but also the option to get a bit more background separation, corner/edge sharpness and character. I never compared the two myself, so I can't confirm if these advantages are significant enough to warrant the 1.4's higher price and bulk.

That being said, and agreeing that the 23/1.4 is not known for its diminutive size, I personally feel that the 10-24 is significantly (35%) heavier/larger and somewhat of a behemoth. But for its inherent qualities, my finger has been hovering over the buy-button on more than one occasion. I know that I will not be using it often enough though and it will likely be sitting on a shelf most of the time, so I'm holding off for a compact, native, rectilinear, UWA prime (quite a wish list).

beakhammer likes this.
  3. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me, a typical lens bought, but not used is 35/2. Bought as a kit with X-Pro2, used only 3-4 times and put it away biting the dust for a 15 months already. It's on sale now.
    Next lenses that have little to non use are zooms 16-55/2.8 biting the dust for a 1.5 year now, and 50-140/2.8 that has a very little use. Will replace them with fast adapted tele Zeiss primes. Another lens that has a very little use is Zeiss Tuoit 12mm. But, this one I'm going to keep.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM
  4. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

not to drive this off-topic, but as a frequent user of adapted glass, I fail to see any "character" in any of the shots taken with the 23mm f/1.4. Modern lens designs are all about eliminating character for the sake of maximising sharpness and resolution.
    They often compromise on bokeh for that sake (using ASPH lenses to correct for aberrations, in turn disturbing oof areas with onion rings and the likes) so that I (for one) prefer the rendering of older lenses over modern primes (like Sigma ART series) by far.

What's the purpose of "subject separation" if all it does is making the background distracting?

But yeah, to each their own.
    The 10-24mm was responsible for 90% of all the pictures from my holidays, the rest was 35mm f/2, 50mm (adapted) and the 12mm Samyang. The 23mm f/1.4 wasn't used for a single image at all. (out of 4k + shots)

AdrianG and c0ldc0ne like this.
  5. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

It's so interesting the diversity of lenses used by shooters and their favs. I wonder " If I only had one lens" in my bag what this would be.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 1:18 AM
  6. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have been doing 1C1L now for almost 15 years...for FF it was a CV 40/1.4 on my ZI; and for APS-C it's a LM 28/2.8 on my X-E1.

Purchased an FX 27/2.8 pancake just because...don't use it much at all.

7. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's a good question.
    For me it would have to be the 35mm f1.4.

leoda1945 and beakhammer like this.
  8. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, it is a good question. Perhaps one that should be asked in a separate thread.

For me, the answer would also be the 35mm f/1.4.

However, the camera in my bag would be a Nikon "full frame." If it had been a Fuji APS camera, the answer would be the 23mm f/1.4.

9. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The thing is....we're all individuals who have in mind how we want our images to look when we click the shutter. Playing into that is if you earn money from photography.
    Most of my shooting is for stock. Second is for art, third is family.
    My lens needs for outdoor stock makes my 18-135 most used along with 100-400. I would seldom use the 18-135 otherwise, except it's a dandy vacation lens for its versatility. 18 at the wide end is great for the landscape aspect. Always shot in good light.
    I'm not an event shooter, but I would assume a wedding photographer would prefer/need specific lenses suited for dim light and beautiful rendering.
    When I go out to shoot people doing things...biking, paddleboarding, splash pads...man, I can't live without my 50-140. I could do it with my 18-135 but the 50-140 just does it more beautifully.

Angus likes this.
  10. twest820

twest820 119777C

-Return to Top-

If I'm only bringing one lens along it's usually the 16-50, though the 10-24 is a close second (and not uncommonly gets exclusive use in cases when a second lens is along as well). The other single lens arrangement I use regularly is whatever long glass I have, which also means if I've two bodies along the 10-24 usually stays on one and the long glass on the other.

11. bralk

bralk Member

-Return to Top-

I had the 60/2.4 for only 9 days before it developed the dreaded "aperture ring failure". It was sent to Fuji - returned to me after
    2 months. In the waiting period I bought the 50/2.0, so the 60 was sold upon reception.

cheers

12. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The most useful, practical Fuji lens that I own is the 18-55. It is also my least-used lens.
    Why? .... I like small-ish lenses in the f1.4 / f2.0 range, despite that I often wish I had a zoom with me.

beakhammer likes this.
  13. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I only agree with this statement some of the time. At other times the 23mm/1.4 seems to me to have a lot of "character". I guess it depends what you mean by "character", which is a somewhat vague concept. I like the 23mm/1.4 and use it a great deal, though often stopped down to at least f/8. There are certainly images where I prefer using an adapted 24mm, but it all depends on which kind of "character" that particular image works best with. Some images look best with that even all-over sharpness that modern lenses can provide. Other images cry out for soft corners and flagrant bokeh. Some of my old 24mm lenses are actually very sharp. It just depends on the specific image and lens combination.

leoda1945 likes this.
  14. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I agree.

Angus likes this.
  15. FMW

FMW Member

-Return to Top-

It is really interesting to see how differently different people approach photography. The 14mm is what is normally mounted on my camera. The 60mm works every single day with table top product photography. These are probably the last two lenses I would give up except for the 18-55mm zoom which would be the very last one to give up.

I've given some thought to buying the 27mm pancake lens so that I can turn one of my X-E cameras into a pocket camera that I can carry when I'm doing something other than photography.

16. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There are things worth doing other than photography?

17. FMW

FMW Member

-Return to Top-

A few. Mostly there are things that need doing other than photography. ;)

Narsuitus likes this.
  18. Michael Eric Bérubé

Michael Eric Bérubé Premium Member

Wild, Wooded, Western Hills of Maine, USA

-Return to Top-

I rarely use my Rokinon 8mm/2.8, Elmar 9cm/4 a whole host of legacy glass that I bought adapters to be able to put on my Fujis (LTM, PK, F, M42, etc...), the XC16-50mm/3.5-5.6, or the XF56/1.2 and that's OK...I HAVE THEM...just in case I have the call to use them! (I'm not a 'hoarder' if all this gear actually WORKS, right?) :)

Of all of those, the lot that I am not using are worth very little in trade value, with the exception of the 56 and it is such a beautiful performer when I have the cause to use it, that I doubt I'd ever sell it even if I got my full purchase price back.