This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji X-T2 lock up frustration

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Iansky, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM.

1. Iansky

Iansky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was shooting an airshow at the weekend in temperatures of around 28C, using the X-T2 with battery grip and the superb 100-4oomm lens.

Shooting in AFC ( function 3/4) zone and wide tracking focus points and I turn the camera off between shooting due to delay in one aircraft leaving and another arriving.

3 times, the camera would not switch on despite numerous attempts and I had to remove the grip each time and the camera turned on then replace the grip and it was fine for a while ( plenty of battery power and all 3 are the new "W" batteries.

I have auto sleep mode turned "OFF".

Frustrating to say the least as I did miss some good shots.

Has anyone else had this and if so are Fuji aware?

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Make and model of SD card(s) being used?

3. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was shooting on the weekend, and I had similar experiences. Either the camera wouldn't turn or, or in a few cases turn off. No batter grip on mine, so all I had to do was remove the battery. Very frustrating, as like yourself I missed a number of shots due to it. I had two Lexar 1000x UHS-II SD cards installed. I've since taken them out and put a Sandisk Pro UHS-I card in, but as yet I haven't tried it out to see if it fixes the problem. According to Fuji site I believe they only list compatibility with the 2000x cards.

Memory Cards : X Series | Fujifilm Global

[​IMG]

4. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have had my XT-2 lock up with a pair Lexar 2000x cards. Fortunately, this has only happened once. From the various reports on this forum, I do not believe this is a card issue, I think it must be a camera issue.

Irene McC likes this.
  5. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm assuming, like the X-T1 the original battery is held in the body and the grip adds extra battery capacity.

If this is the case why would removing the grip fix the issue? It's not removing all power from the camera. Unless, of course the OP has removed the body battery.

6. Pobert58

Pobert58 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

This happened to me as well. The electronics in the grip were faulty and Fuji replaced it. The new grip works flawlessly.

7. Iansky

Iansky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This only happened when turning the camera back on after it being off for about 2 min (standby/sleep mode is OFF) - 2 x batteries in grip and 1 in camera and all the new "W" type to prevent overheating. SD card used - Sandisk extreme Pro UHS 2 200mb 32 GB.

When the camera is on it works fine, it is just turning it back on after it being off that this occurs - I suspect it is something to do with the grip as once that is removed the camera turns on fine.

I will give Fuji a call.

8. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Ian, try a reset it may help, it did for me as the nuisance 'touch wood' has not returned! Fuji UK said to send the camera in for repair, I haven't yet!

Tried using the VPBG this morning, with no problem. I have a suspicion that theses problems started with the Firmware 2.0 update!

9. Iansky

Iansky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just contacted Fuji Professional Services and the chap on the phone asked me the problem which I explained in detail to include cards used etc and after I finished explain he asked me questions that were all covered in my explanation!!! He seemed to struggle a bit with me refitting the grip after the camera was working and why I wanted to use the grip to get the extra high speed AFC tracking etc.

His reluctant response - well you can go online and book the grip in and send it back for us to look at if you want to - not good for a so called Professional Service that promises a fast service and collection / return within 48hrs. Perhaps he had the Monday feeling.

Time to contact the Fuji Service Manager methinks as I don't want this happening again with more airshows to cover!

10. Filenest

Filenest Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Half press shutter button (and hold it there) when its frozen, wakes the camera right back up :)

11. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Different problem Filenest!

Iansky likes this.
  12. marysky

marysky Thank you Mood!!

-Return to Top-

Iansky,

You might look at this thread. I was having a similar problem with a new-to-me X-T2 (I did send it back and I'm going to purchase a new one so I'll have the better warranty if this pops up.

XT-2 Not Always Powering Up when Turned on

Iansky likes this.
  13. marysky

marysky Thank you Mood!!

-Return to Top-

I was wondering if the grip might HELP alleviate the problem, but I guess not.

Iansky likes this.
  14. Pobert58

-Return to Top-

I wrote earlier today that I experienced the same problem as did the original poster, and that there was an electronic fault in the grip. A replacement grip works just fine. Now that the farming is done for the day, here are the details. When brand new, the grip would not charge the right side battery - as indicated by the green "charging" light not coming on. Moving three brand new batteries sequentially between the bays and the camera resulted in the same problem with the right bay not charging. I sent the grip to Fuji for repair before I ever used it in the field. Fuji fixed the charging problem, but on first use of the repaired unit in the field there were massive lockup problems as described by the original post. My temporary solutions were as in the original post. Additionally, when the grip was mounted on the camera, the LCD on the back of the camera showed that the right side grip battery was dead. Again I cycled three new, fresh batteries through the grip and camera, and in each instance the right side grip battery continued to show as dead on the LCD.

The new grip is great, although I have not tested it with 50-140 lens yet, the lens that was on the camera during the lock-up events. I don't think it is a lens/grip/firmware issue, just a bad grip. My X-T2 does not seem to have suffered any harm in this series of events.

Here is what the LCD showed when the right bay falsely indicated a dead battery.
    IMG_1106.JPG

Iansky likes this.
  15. Pobert58

-Return to Top-

One more thing to add: When I sent the grip back both times I had my local camera store send it in. They are a Fuji dealer, and I figured they would get a more receptive response than some old West Texas farmer. This is one more reason that one should support one's local camera shop if one is lucky enough to have one. Perhaps the original poster can use the same technique; his text above seemed to indicate that the Fuji representative was not very receptive to his complaint. I provided thorough documentation of the problem, but my ultimate outcome may have been influenced by the fact that a Fuji dealer sent the grip for repair.

Iansky likes this.
  16. Iansky

Iansky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you all for the feedback / suggestion. I must confirm that standby/sleep mode is OFF so it is not a case of the camera going into standby.

Thank you Marysky for the link to your post, I am not having problems with the batteries charging in the grip but certainly interesting to hear there are others who have experienced this issue...........frustrating is the word!

From a previous incident I do have the contact details from the Fuji Service Manager (he did tell me to contact him if I had further problems) so I sent him an email last night explaining the issue in detail and asking his advice on next steps, he was very positive and helpful in my previous dealings with him so hopefully will be again.

I will keep you all posted about the outcome and hope it is just a grip related problem rather than a board in the camera.