This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji XF 56 f/1.2 or XF 90mm For Portraits

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by rollsman4, Apr 20, 2017.

1. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have 50-140mm, 56mm f1.2, and 90mm f2. When I had canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II was my go to lens, whether studio or outside. Now with Fuji I am using 50-140mm the least. Maybe getting spoiled by the look of 56mm and 90mm. For outside I am also using 56mm more than the 90mm. Both are nice, inside studio, even 56mm means I am at the back wall if trying to do full length. For headshots I prefer 90mm and even longer.

2. starlights

starlights Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have both and use both extensively, however if for some reason I would only be allowed to keep one, I would choose 56. Although 90 is just superb, as has been said before, its more specialized. 56 offers a lot of flexibility, closer working distance (esp for portraits) and has a bit more 3D rendering due to wider FOV. Get 56 first and then add 90

3. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Piling on here. I've got both and while the 90 is fantastic I use the 56mm way more often.

4. FJ LOVE

FJ LOVE Member

-Return to Top-

I used to have the 90 but the 56 and the 50-140 are the two I used most often for portraits so I sold it, I found it to be an awkward length, too long in the studio and too short for sports, although very nice rendering

5. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use the 27mm and 90mm combo for portrait/walk around. I tried the 50-140 in the camera store but it was just so large on the X-T1 I couldn't wrap my brain around it :)

I used to have a Pentax 50-135 that I used exclusively for portraits and it worked out great. But then again the camera and grip were much larger so it "fit" the lens well.

6. Mike_S

Mike_S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Quality of image is not a question with either lens, really. It is a question of what type of shot you want to achieve. The 56 allows a portrait that has contextual elements, specific clues to the person by their surroundings, where the 90 tends to isolate the person. This is not to say the 56 cannot do a headshot or the 90 cannot have context, but I strongly feel they are two different animals.

mnhoj likes this.
  7. skyemutt

skyemutt Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have the 56mm f1.2 APD and it's a stunning portrait lens.

In my Canon days I had the brilliant Canon 135mm f2 L and whilst that was a magical lens I found it a little long for indoor portraits and so I didn't use it that much.

That's the reason I'll stick with my 56mm and I haven't been tempted by the 90mm - The 85mm (Equivalent) focal length is just much more useful to me...

8. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The focal lengths matter for portraiture, as it effects the distance you are from the subject. It changes how flattering the image is. Best advice I ever got for portraiture:

Square faces with the shorter length to give them a bit of roundness.

Round faces with the longer length to give a bit of squareness.

I use both a 56/1.2 and a 90/2 equivalent. The subject matter determines which lens I use, not my preference or lens performance.

George Komiotis likes this.
  9. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

What would be your choice for a longer face?

10. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

90mm. It will compress the faces a bit to give you better proportions over a shorter focal length. If the subject has a bit of a high forehead or more pronounced chin, the compression effects will be an asset.

Do remember, compression is a result of your distance to the subject, but it is focal length allows that distance for the desired framing.

11. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

From what I see lot of beauty shots of perfect models are shot 200mm FF.

12. Danny Budiarta

Danny Budiarta New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm no Fuji X user yet but have made decision to purchase X-T20 after spent some times observing the image quality, colors, and lot of reviews from the forum.
    i'm facing the same situation also to choose between 56mm and 90mm.
    So here I tried to share my opinion:
    If I have limited budget and don't plan to purchase second lens in short time, I'll choose 90mm for below reason:
    It can be used for portrait, events (distance shots), action and sport, and macro (due to shorter focus distance).

But if I have advance plan for investing more lenses, then I will choose first 56mm, and followed by 50-140mm and then 90mm along with other lenses in the list.

This is because for sport and action, 90mm not enough, sports require zoom and 90mm is fast but will be limited with no zoom capability.
    50-140mm also already cover focal length of 90mm and with constant f/2.8. which is not far from 90mm f/2.0
    i will only consider 90mm when I need to push for more.

Anyway...that opinion without consideration of room and space limitation. Still one must know if the lens will be use more indoor or outdoor.
    As many reviews said, you won't go wrong with either of the two lens.!

Angus likes this.
  13. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

These are just my personal experience. Others will feel differently :).

For very experienced professional models, maybe 200mm works. Most subjects will be hard to coax to a comfortable expression with the photographer so far away. You will practically need to shout ;).

Personally, I find the 56mm gets me pretty far from my subject. I will use it for a headshot, but much prefer a shorter length for including more of the subject so I don't have to be so far back.

Also, you need a lot of space to use the longer lenses. If you are indoors, it can be a challenge to get back far enough. Even in a large studio, by the time you have some space from the backdrop....

14. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have small studio at my work place and 85mm (56mm on crop) works at full length. For headshots 200mm is easy to use in that space. Longer focal length less of the junk from the sides. But like you said, everyone has their own way about focal lengths.

15. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I owned the 56, 90 and 50-140. I ended up selling the 56 because it felt loose, was slower to focus, even on my X-T2, and not a WR lens. I have to really missed it especially since buying the 50mm f2.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please login or register to view links

16. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Portraits 56mm f1.2 is plenty fast. Actually it was fast enough to shoot my moving kids on their scooter at f1.4 in AF-C on XT1. For me f1.2 is mainly for portrait shots otherwise other lenses are better option due to less price, size etc.