This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GFX 50s Flash Synch Speed w/ Portable Flash

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by OldHickory, Feb 13, 2018.

1. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, this might be a dumb question, however, I'm new to the GFX 50s, just ordered it actually. Question, although the flash sync speed is 1/125 of a second, will portable flashes such as EF/ X500 sync at higher speeds when using it as a fill. or am I still stuck at 1/125th? Also what are my high speed lighting options when using a strobe, besides by a Hassy leaf shutter?

2. 6hbg

6hbg Member

-Return to Top-

I am using Godox flashes (AD600BM, V860IIF and TT685F) and I am able to work all the way up to 1/4000 of a second.
    I think that is the max limit of the mechanical shutter. No trigger is generated in electronic shutter mode.

Rob

3. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

Very helpful, thanks Rob!

4. Mdelrossi

Mdelrossi Active Member

-Return to Top-

BTW, Godox is also sold through Adorama, as Flashpoint. I only bring this up as you can deal directly with Adorama should you need service.

5. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have also been using my Flashpoint XPLOR600 and AD200 with GFX. Works pretty good.

6. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

So if I'm not using a leaf shutter lens,I will need a compatible flash trigger to to sync my strobe 1/125th, correct, or will I need a specific trigger regardless?
    Any recommendations on the best ones?

7. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

In order to achieve this however, you need a flash unit that's capable of HSS operation.

This means that the flash unit needs to emit a very rapid series of flash pulses ( at ~40kHz) that lasts long enough so that the focal plane shutter's slit moves across the entire sensor's height and still is illuminated by the flash unit. The burst needs to last at least for 1/125s (the camera's sync speed which also corresponds to the time the two curtains of the FP shutter take to traverse the sensor).

8. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

Got it, so it sounds like my old flash heads, Please login or register to view links, which I've used with everything from my Nikon's to my Hassy's, will not work no matter what trigger I use?

9. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

10. OldHickory

OldHickory New Member

-Return to Top-

Got it, so it sounds like my old flash heads, Please login or register to view links, which I've used with everything from my Nikon's to my Hassy's, will not work no matter what trigger I use?

11. 6hbg

6hbg Member

-Return to Top-

All mentioned flashes are capable of HSS.

Here is a picture I just took in a dark hallway @1/4000 of a second and as you can see there is no problem the flash lasting the whole time needed to expose the sensor:

[​IMG]

Here is the original file: Please login or register to view links where you can see the metadata...
    Not sure why "Flash Mode" is marked as "No Flash" but you can clearly see the hot spot...

Robert

12. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

They will work but your sync speed is limited to 1/125.

13. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well... someone got them to successfully hypersync with PocketWizard TTL units back in 2009:

Please login or register to view links

so you can with some triggers. But you may not want to.

This is completely different from HSS. Instead of multiple pulses to follow the gap in the curtains across the shutter, tail sync (aka hypersync, supersync, Over Drive Sync, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum), is where the light is fired at full power to have the longest pulse, but the shutter is synced a little late, so the main burst is skipped, and the flatter "tail" of the pulse is used to illuminate the entire frame as the gap goes across the sensor. It's even more power-hungry than HSS, and works for a much narrower set of timings and shutter speed combinations, and is highly reliant on the individual strobe's pulse pattern and often requires being able to adjust the timing.

But you can do it with PocketWizard TTL, RadioPopper PX, Yongnuo YN-622, Phottix Odin and other TTL triggers. But I don't think the Godox triggers do it.

See also:
    Please login or register to view links