This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Godox web site

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by kcg, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kcg

kcg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As stated in a previous post I am having a problem with my Godox TT685F's. Possible problem is Godox web site. Emailed Godox, no response. If I down load the G1 or TT685F firmware or if I try to open on their web site, instead of an executable file I am asked how to open the file as a text, spreadsheet or HMTL I can pick either one and get an error.
    Can anyone go onto the Godox site and please confirm they can open either file or are they getting the same as I get.
    I am using Win10 via parallels on Mac book Pro. Did not have this problem when I updated my X1F transmitter.
    Thanks for your assistance.

2. Hugh Jammer

Hugh Jammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The updating software is delivered in a zipped up format (a rar file). You would need to unzip it. I would imagine the executable is within the rar.

The actual firmware isn't meant to be opened, but deployed by the updating software.

That's as I see it after a quick look at the site.

3. darkslide

darkslide Member

-Return to Top-

All the Godox files on
    Looking at the Godox download page, all the files are of type .rar which is a compressed format similar to the more popular .zip. I'm a Mac user as well and don't have windows 10, but I believe you need a 3rd party program to decompress it (you definitely need a 3rd party program on the Mac). I've been using WinZip for years but it costs $30 for either Mac or PC. There are free extractors out there...google is your friend.

edit: what Hugh said. Memo to self: type faster.

Hugh Jammer likes this.
  4. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

There's a variety of utilities than will unzip (perhaps it's unrar!!). WinRar for one. Perhaps windows 10 will unzip it natively, it will with zip files.

5. kcg

kcg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Gentleman thanks for your response. My problem I am not getting a .rar file as shown I am asked to open a text, spreadsheet or HMTL file. This happens if I download the file or try to open it on line.

6. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Are you trying to open the file you download? Are you double-clicking it?

Can you see the file extension? Is it not a .RAR file?

7. darkslide

darkslide Member

-Return to Top-

If you download it from Safari in native Mac OS, you will see the .rar file in your downloads folder. You can then either extract it in Mac OS and move the resulting file(s) to Win 10 / parallels, or move the rar file and extract in Windows. Either way you'll need an extraction program.

For dealing with it downloaded in Windows, I yield to a Win10 user.

8. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Save the file from the site rather than selecting open. It should download to your machine as a rar file. Which you can then unzip, as mentioned above. I suspect the executable will be inside the rar file. That file once unzipped can be double clicked to run and open the firmware updating software.

9. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Dark, you beat me this time :)

darkslide likes this.
  10. kcg

kcg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you everyone for your assistance. When I downloaded using Safari instead of windows and then moved the .rar file to Win10, and then open with winrar I was able to upgrade both TT685F's.
    Again my sincere thanks to all for your assistance.

11. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

That's great.

Just spotted this link on the download page.

Please login or register to view links

It explains there's an issue with IE that changes the extension from RAR to MAN during/end of download. Hence your problems with Windows. Solution is to do as you did and download with Mac or rename the MAN file to RAR if you use Windows.

12. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Think you may need to refresh your computer :)
    This post was answered over an hour ago - see post no.10

13. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I have just refreshed and deleted my post.
    Well done on sorting out the upgrade.

14. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Aww....now you've made me look silly.

Thanks, finished my day job, just thought I'd spend a few minutes on the site. Now it's off to take the dog for a walk. Back tomorrow no doubt.

15. jknights

-Return to Top-

Enjoy the dog walk. Better than some camera or IT problem.
    These Godox updates are sent to try us as not everyone uses Windows or MacOS. I wish those clever people would post the source to their app so we could recompile for Mac or Linux.

16. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have to say this...GODOX seems to make decent products but they are just about the worst in customer service EVER.

I’m just using my ad200s in manual mode - for a Mac user it’s impossible to update firmware, their site is unintelligible and they have never answered an email to anyone as far as I can tell.

We are just rewarding bad behavior buying their products!!!!!!

jknights likes this.
  17. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Funny. I've only got a MacBook Pro and I've updated my XPro-C once, and my TT685-C twice. It's not impossible for all Mac users. It's more of a PITA, true, than for a Windows user. But I used a Please login or register to view links Windows 10 install on my MacBook—both by booting into Windows, and also as a virtual machine in Parallels. Others have used Please login or register to view links, or Please login or register to view links. This is, btw, also how Yongnuo and Metz offer their firmware updating: Windows only.

18. SausalitoDog

-Return to Top-

Thanks but I really don't want windows on my mac...but I would do it. IN fact I started to but the macs are fairly new. I have 2 copies of windows...Vista and XP...both are too old to load with bootcamp. I had an app like parallels - I forget the name but it was made by VMware - it stopped loading about 4 years ago. So to load and update, I have to spend more than the price of one the flashes just to update! I even went so far as to buy an old Dell laptop on eBay for $50...whoops...too old to get on a wifi network!!!

Thanks for the warning on Yongnuo and Metz...I will definitely avoid them also.

Fuji Nikon Canon Profoto... all have simple clear update systems. I'll stick with them for now.

Yikes...I just realized my hair is on fire...I'm supposed to be doing this because I love it!!! LOL

jknights likes this.
  19. jknights

-Return to Top-

I dont think that they should be making a firmware update process so OS dependent/specific.
    There must be (is) a better way. The G1 and G2 programs just need to be recompiled for Mac and Linux. One hour job the first time you do it. Ten minutes for the later versions. KISS.

20. SausalitoDog

-Return to Top-

This is the kind of thing that FJUI does so well...and we all appreciate it, Fuji !!!