This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Has anybody tried the new Cactus TTL features?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by ojporqpojrewpo, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have V6 and RF60 so I can't upgrade but I wonder if anyone has tried the new firmware. I would like to get HSS and TTL but I am not sure if I should replace my Cactus equipment or wait and look at what Godox is cooking up.

I like my Cactus devices but it seems Godox is quite a bit cheaper and has more choice.

2. BreylPhoto

BreylPhoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, tried it and it does seem to work.

I have one V6II and one RF60X. Updated both to firmware from 16/6/2017 (v6II: FUJ.1.001, RF60X: v103).
    Via the V6II the flash can now be switched between manual mode, TTL mode and off. There is flash exp. compensation of +/- 5 Ev even in TTL.

I did only a very little and short test, mostly because I rarely agree with TTL and I'm not nearly as much interested in this function as I'm in i.e. HSS and PowerSync.

Anyhow: seems to work in general. TTL flash exp. compensation worked for me in the + range, but it appeared to do nothing in the - range.

Camera used was X-T2 with latest firmware.

Let me know if you have a suggestion for a specific test and I'll see what I can do.

P.S.:
    And there is a chance that I did it wrong. The cactus documentation on this is about the worst I've seen. Ever.

Cheers,

Robin

jknights likes this.
  3. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You don't explicitly state that the Hss and powersync worked, or did I miss something?

Even of you have an old V6 I and RF60 apparently if you have a V6II as the master remote in the camera hotshoe you can still get Hss and powersync with the RF60 and V6I with a compatible 3rd party flash, has anyone confirmed that?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Do you have a pic of how the V6II looks mounted on the X-T2?
    Seen one on the X-T20 and it looked big and awkward!

5. Polar28

Polar28 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I have tested with both EF-X500 and Canon 580EX II off camera, TTL and HSS works seamlessly when pair with X-T2.

Also tested with my old X-Pro1, TTL works fine too. For HSS, you have to get the pair of Cactus V6 II to learn (Forced HSS) the HSS with X-Pro1 at 1/1000. After it learned the HSS, you just need to enable the Forced HSS on the V6 transceiver, tested up to 1/4000.

jknights likes this.
  6. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes the Cactus v6 mkii with SB800 works in HSS mode for all my Fuji cameras. I havent tried the TTL. I guess I should but I seldom use TTL flash.

7. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's not bad.

IMG_20170618_074909582.jpg

8. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Wow that's still pretty big.
    The Nissin Air Commander still looks the best so far.

9. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The Godox XT32 is far better if you want small size unit but it lacks the HSS and TTL facility.

10. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why do you need a pair of V6II triggers to learn the Hss, does it do a few timing calculations that calibrate the trigger to the body?

11. BreylPhoto

-Return to Top-

> Why do you need a pair of V6II triggers to learn the Hss?

One on the camera as sender and one on the flash as receiver. The one on the flash is not needed, when using an original Cactus flash (RF60, RF60X).

> You don't explicitly state that the Hss and powersync worked, or did I miss something?

HSS has been there for a while now and it works fine with the setup I use (V6II and RF60 / RF60X).
    The firmware update from last week is just adding TTL capability to the existing feature set.

Cheers,

Robin

12. isaacinsoll

isaacinsoll New Member

-Return to Top-

The recent update also added "understand native HSS signalling from Fuji bodies" so that you don't need to do the "learn hss " bit anymore.

13. BreylPhoto

-Return to Top-

Ah, indded! I wasn't aware that "learn hss" is gone now.
    HSS just works now straight out of the box. Very cool!

Is that information somewhere on the Cactus website? As said, I'm having my difficulties with their documentation.

Cheers,

Robin

14. Polar28

Polar28 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, you are right for X-T2 and X-Pro2. But for X-Pro1, there is no menu to enable in camera FP (HSS), that why you need to learn HSS for older X body

15. BreylPhoto

-Return to Top-

Anyhow, I played around with the hss feature of the new firmware and it is indeed a great step forward. Actually it feels like not having a sync time at all anymore. I can go from 1/180 to 1/1000 and the Cactus devices just adjust to it. No need to specifically select any HSS mode or learn sync times or anything.
    The X-T2 feels nearly like the x100 with its leaf shutter now.

Cheers,

Robin