This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Have the WCL and TCL ruined the simplicity of the X100/s? Discuss

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Richard_R, Jun 29, 2014.

1. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It comes down to circumstances and opinion as far as owning and using the convertors. Nobody's wrong or right. Bud has his primes that cover the convertors so he has no need or want of them as he feels he is better serves by the primes. My only prime is a 56 so I find them very useful and find them of good quality while others do not. Horses for courses.

Trev likes this.
  2. jdbish

jdbish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have both the WCL and TCL and have only used them to see if I liked them. I have never used the TCL and have used the WCL twice in the last two years plus. IMHO, I wasted my money. I've tried the classified a couple of times with no luck. I use my X-E2s for 99% of my shots. Still have my X100LE and X-100T and try to remember to keep the batteries charged. I guess I'm just getting to old to go out and shoot.

3. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bought the x100f because of the leaf shutter feature for off camera flash and portrait work. In bright light, using the converter does make things simpler in a way since I don't lose power from the flash by having to go to hss mode. Simplicity is a relative notion. I can make my X-T2 simple by just going out and using one lens. TCL's don't make things simpler or more complicated. They are just tools. Complexity comes from how they are used.

Interesting read from an old thread.

Gromit and Solo with others like this.
  4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

There is a simple solution to this.
    Buy a camera for each converter and keep a camera as designed.
    I have the Nikon wideangle converter whoch works well for me.
    I use it so occasionally that it is almost superfluous.

However the teleconverter I purchased was a TC x2.2 that hardly vignettes and so it is stuck on my X100 while my X100T is pristine.
    I love both and they serve me well.

5. Trev

Trev Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yep. I used to have 2 X100 original. One bare and one with WCL.
    Served me well, now I have the F I can only afford one camera...maybe one day..

6. LeVar

LeVar Member

-Return to Top-

Which TC x2.2 did you use for your X100? I'm interested.

7. jknights

-Return to Top-

Here is a synopsis of my two/three years of searching.....

X100 teleconverter hunt to get a teleconverter that gave me 50mm equivalent on a X100.

Early on in the hunt.
    I have bought a x2 tele converter that attaches using a 52/49 step down ring to the 49mm attachment point.

When used at f2-f4 there is no vignette but there is increasing vignette as the aperture decreases towards f16 but no more than a darkening of the edge corners.

Here is a link to the product.

Please login or register to view links

I feel that a 55/58/62mm attachment might reduce the vignetting but I would need to check this out.

Also for me I want an equivalent of a 90-105mm lens on a film camera so a x3 converter is what is required.

=====================================================

OK here are some sample images. See my gallery or the X100 forum thread about TC.

EXIF available.

Unfortunately no tripod so last image is probably a little extra soft due to camera shake as it was taken at 1/40, f11.

All images taken with x2 telephoto add on lens as listed before.

Processed in LR 3.4.1 with standard sharpening on output. No tweaks!!

All taken at ISO 200.

X100-1-730.jpg ==> 1/600 f2.8 - very slight vignette

X100-1-731.jpg ==> 1/150 f5.6 - more noticeable vignette

X100-1-732.jpg ==> 1/400 f11 - very noticeable vignette

Images taken at f2.0 show no vignette.

Last image of my dog.

X100-1-735.jpg ==> 1/200 f5.6 - vignette noticeable.

I think these images are in my Gallery on the forum.

The next converter is a x2 converter made in China.

It says on the TC ........

NEEWER Digital High Definition x2 Telephoto Lens JAPAN OPTICS.

I got it off eBay from UK supplier. Here is the same item.

ebay Auction Item # Please login or register to view links

It has a 52mm thread.

I use it attached to the X100 via two step rings so that I get a 52-49 fit directly onto the lens.

In this mode you get a very small vignette at f5.6 and it reduces to almost zero at f2.

Synopsis

NEEWER Digital High Definition x2 Telephoto Lens

Here is a recent image at f2.0 with x2.0 converter. No vignette at f2.0 but vignette starts to appear at f4/5.6l

Small jpg converted from RAW. Ziggy X100-1-1772a.jpg

====================================

NEEWER Digital High Definition x2 Telephoto Lens

Here is a recent image at f2.0 with x2.2 converter. Notice slight vignette at f2.0 which gets worse as you stop down.

Small jpg converted from RAW. Sapphire X100-1-1775.jpg

====================================

Opteka x3.2 tele-extender lens 52mm filter attachment.

Large vignette at all apertures, central area good sharpness.

Not useful, in fact a waste of money.

My current best converter.

iXT Teleconverter x2.2 tele-extender lens 58mm filter attachment.
    It attaches to my camera via two stepping rings used in an inserted step.

No vignettes or only very slight at max aperture, some vignette at f16.

Best or as good as the NEEWER X2.0

EDIT: See next post for examples of many of these teleconverters.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. jknights

-Return to Top-

This thread provided the impetus for me to search for a good telephoto.

It also shows example photos and images of the teleconverters themselves as well as results.

9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very good thread here! I downsized from a Canon DSLR to an X100 as my only camera for a couple of years, then built an extensive M4/3's system with a GX8, and have recently obtained an X100F. I've been curious about the WCL/TCL and this thread was very beneficial. I think I'll keep the X100F as it is, and use the GX8 for the other cases since I already have some very fast 28mm/50mm equivalent lenses for it.

Blaine likes this.
  10. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour New Member

-Return to Top-

Do the owners of these two CL’s agree?

11. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I purchased the X100F, in black, because I regretted selling my X100T. It's a great travel camera.

I also purchased both the WCL and TCL lenses, in black. I took a business trip and took only the X100F, WCL and TCL lenses. I found it cumbersome to remove the ring and attached the lens. It is much faster to use my XPro2 with 23mm and 35mm primes. I also thought that the WCL was very heavy and bulky and the IQ was not the best.

I returned the WCL and TCL lenses for credit. The X100F is much better now. No stress of which lens to use, no attachments, super svelt and inconspicuous and for all the reasons that I purchased the X100 series in the first place.

My XPro2 was traded in for the X-H1 two weeks ago. The XPro2 was not getting used as my rangefinder "itch" is now satisfied with my recent purchase of my first Leica, the Leica M10, and a few Leica primes.

Regards,
    Bud James

12. jli

jli Member

-Return to Top-

Same, tried the WCL briefly and returned it as 18mm just wasn't wide enough. I figured I could get wide angle from another camera body setup. Didn't use it enough to draw an image quality comparison.

Tried the TCL next. The focal length @ f2 is nice. It's bulkier than the WCL. I too got annoyed with taking the lens ring off when attaching the converters. I felt that this lens made the images a bit softer to my eye. Decided to sell the TCL after about 2 months of use.

I have a m43 system for telephoto because of the advantages in the longer focal lengths with that system. Sometimes I utilize the digital teleconverter of the x100F at the 50mm FoV if I need a bit more reach in a pinch, otherwise it's the other system for dedicated portraits and telephoto.

13. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Gear Nerd

-Return to Top-

I bought the x100F last summer and it has got a lot of use. After attending Profusion(the biggest photography show in Toronto), I bought the WCL. At the show Spencer Wynn(a well known Canadian photographer) presented on going small. He used an x100 model plus WCL to do many projects.

He had large prints where the WCL were used and they were stunning. I have only played around with my WCL a few times as the weather has been poor. The few test shots were certainly sharp. I didn’t pay much and having a slightly wider FOV might come in handy. I see no need for the other converter, I will just crop.

Alfred Eyesenstadt likes this.
  14. Auray7

Auray7 Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Richard - posing interesting questions as always. Some good thoughts in response.

There is of course no right or wrong. I did own a WCL briefly but for me did detract from the beautiful simplicity of the X100. I very much like wide angle but my eye eventually attuned to the 23mm view. I have an xt1 but the X100 is still the one I reach for 9/10. As I mentioned elsewhere earlier today, I am finally parting with the X100 upgrading to a T partly to have parity with the xt1.

Thanks for the post.

Simon

15. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've come to appreciate the TCL converter more. In regards to removing the ring, I just use the 3rd party hood and take it off, no problems. I recently had an on location headshot session and had very limited space. I usually use my xt-2/50-140 but I just didn't want be sticking a long lens in their face. I put the TCL converter on the x100f and got far enough back to take care of distortion. The shoot was for veterinarians and they need to have shots with their pets. I got a little farther back and took the TCL off for a wider composition.

I still think the converters add versatility to the system. Like anything you can choose to use or not use. They in no way ruin the X100 series cameras.

16. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like the converters. Depending on my mood I'll go standard x100 series or put one of the converters on. While out I can just shoot with one focal length or take whatever I have on and take if off for the photo and then screw it back on.

17. Alfred Eyesenstadt

Alfred Eyesenstadt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for pointing out Spencer Wynn's wonderful photography! I've just Googled and looked at his work online, and what he does with the X100F and WCL is just stunning! Since I use them on a very limited basis, I was always wondering what the limits and/or limitations of my X100T + WCL would be compared to my X-T1 and 10-24 lens that I typically carry when I travel.

I go to Thailand annually for almost a month at a time, and each successive year, I've found myself wishing that I could carry something lighter on a daily basis. (After weighing the X-T1 + 10-24 and the X100T + WCL, there is a full one pound difference in their respective weights.) I've always carried my X-T1 and 10-24, and sometimes add my 56mm to my (thankfully light) messenger shoulder bag. I do use the x100T as my typical street photography camera here in New York, but for more "serious" shooting, I swap it for my X-T1's. I can see from Spencer's work that the X100 and WCL can produce incredible results, not limited by the slightly longer perspective as compared to what the 10-24 allows. Even though on these Thailand trips I've always tended to shoot almost entirely at about 10-16mm for the vast, dramatic sweep that this affords, I think that I want to try to train myself to adjust more to the 19mm of the WCL, and thanks again for pointing out through Spencer's work that shows just how far this X100 + WCL combo can go!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  18. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Gear Nerd

-Return to Top-

Alfred, I am glad you enjoyed Spencer Wynn. I had a nice chat with him after His presentation at Photofusion. His work is impressive and he recommended the WCL. It did not cost me very much and is so light.

As a photographer, I don’t worry about trying to shoot everything, especially on vacation. The x100F gets a lot of use since the FOV is close to what my eyes perceive, most of my favourite photos are in the normal range.

In fact, I am leaving for Halifax tomorrow and am just taking the x100F and WCL. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get some nice waterfront images. The seafood fix will be a given.

Alfred Eyesenstadt likes this.
  19. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Nearly four years on and the subject is still being discussed. :D

20. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A good thread starter then eh Richard ;)

I'm thinking about the WCL for my X100F ... I used to be indecisive but these days I'm not so sure :)