This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Hello from the Great Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by DET, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DET

DET New Member

-Return to Top-

I am new to Fuji, having just come over from several years of Canon DSLRs. Every year my Canon gear seemed to get heavier and heavier, and every year I felt I was another year closer to switching to some kind of mirrorless system. After after having some really valuable interactions with a couple of professional photographers/instructors (one of which is a Fuji X Photographer) at the recent Great Smoky Mountains Photography Summit, I decided this was the year. I am now getting used to my Fuji gear and trying to sell my old Canon gear. Living in beautiful East Tennessee, near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I mostly shoot nature - landscapes, wildlife - although I sometimes do architectural and travel photography. I was beginning to play around with astrophotography with my Canon gear; I hope to continue that with Fuji.

rybolt likes this.
  2. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

3. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome! I'm new around here as well. I switched over from a Sony DSLR, although I've played around with mirrorless systems for a few years. I came to the conclusion a few years back that while DSLR's and mirrorless cameras are very versatile, there doesn't seem to be a camera that I'm happy with to do EVERYTHING. I've kept my Sony DLSR (I whittled down some of my lenses, just kept the ones that I felt did a particularly good job) and added an X-E2 and X100 recently. I previous used Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, and Olympus mirrorless cameras, and each one of those has their own things to love and hate, and so far I'm really enjoying the Fuji system, in my opinion it offers the best out of camera jpegs which saves me time and even at high ISO the pictures are grainy without having a lot of color noise, which I find much more acceptable. I haven't had a chance to do any astrophotography with my Fuji's yet but I'm excited to try it out as well. Hope to see some of the fantastic scenery from your neck of the woods soon!
    -Tillman

4. tmastran

tmastran New Member

-Return to Top-

I do a lot of backpacking in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My first trips there (pre-backpacking!) were with my 4x5 kit. Great images, but mainly stuck to the roads. I then progressed to an APS-C DSLR with a 10-24mm lens for backpacking. OK, but still too much weight. For the last four years I've been using a Fujifilm XE-2 and taking only the 18mm lens, or both the 14mm and the 35mm 1.4, depending on where I think I may be. It has been a fantastic system! Extremely high quality, even in poster size prints, rivaling the 4x5. You just have to be a little careful about the moisture. You know how damp it can be there! I did have one body succumb to this, but this was only after hundreds of backpacking trips and using it as a tool and not a wallflower. Good luck! Maybe we'll cross paths there one day.

5. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Greetings from Middle TN. (M'boro) My Canon gear is long gone and the Fuji's have taken over.

6. MassillonFun

MassillonFun Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome!
    You live in the neck of the woods that I would like to retire to.
    I'd like to buy or build a place somewhere between Cosby and Johnson City.
    When God made Eastern Tennessee, I know that He was smiling.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  7. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My son has a home in Knoxville. Go Vols!

8. Max Fstop

Max Fstop Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum, good choice of kit ;)