This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Help with JPEG settings to preserve blown highlights

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by AMSOS, Nov 9, 2018.

1. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On my X-E2s I like shooting JPEG and not having to PP though I do keep the RAWs. While I try to preserve highlights by keeping an eye on the histogram, the thin bar at the right means I make mistakes.

(1) Is it a good idea to use Auto ISO with Auto DR? I am told that there won't be blow highlights ever if I use the two together.
    I know that Auto DR reduces contrast, but I should be able to add some contrast later?

(2) If you don't recommend that I use Auto DR, then can you share what settings you have for JPEGs? Highlight, shadow, and color?
    If I set Highlight to -2 and let the histogram bar start to just pile at the right, will that be the cut-off point so that highlights are still preserved?
    I'd appreciate if someone shared and explained how they setup the camera to interpret their JPEGs.
    Thanks!

2. pw-pix

pw-pix Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Turn on the blinking highlight warning? Use it to apply exposure compensation.
    This is something I don't like about my X-E3, it seems to wilfully ignore even large areas of blown highlights in its metering.
    I've never had to exposure compensation as much as I have with this camera.
    I use it in matrix metering mode, the same as I have done with my Nikon bodies (D3s and D800E), but it is much harder to get on with for highlights.

3. Madhav Bodas

Madhav Bodas Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If it is showing as blown highlights on the live screen and histogram obviously would also be confirming the same, then use the exposure compensation to bring it in. Or you can use spot metering to see which is the best metering possible that gives you optimum result. You can always try a test shot and see the results instantaneously. I don't think there is any universal setting that will address all lighting conditions or the camera settings like FL/ Aperture/ Speed / ISO.

4. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

Rather than AutoDR, explicitly use DR200 or DR400 as you see fit.

kerrydeare likes this.