This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

If Fuji had program modes P1, P2, etc, what features do you want to control?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by F2Bthere, Nov 9, 2018.

1. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We ended up veering off in an interesting direction in another thread where some users were enthusiastic about program modes on other camera systems and wishing the feature existed on the Fuji cameras.

This has not been a feature I wanted and it has been hard for me to understand common real-world scenarios where this would be needed--I'm pretty happy with the classic controls Fuji offers and find they generally work well for me.

It seems to me that it would not be difficult to implement a Program Mode in firmware in a way which doesn't interfere with the current physical configuration of the camera but allows for the camera to support this perceived need. A user could use a Q menu option, one of the programmable dials, a my menu option or some other setting of button features to quickly access this capability.

So, which set of features would you like to control together with a single setting? Which combination of features would you control as a single setting and how would you use that setting in the way you use photography?

2. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The only thing I can think of is that I was sometimes frustrated when I wanted to start using strobes with my Fuji camera. There are a few settings which can keep a strobe from working with Fuji cameras and it would be nice if you could make a single selection on a button, my menu option or q menu which would change all settings which could block strobe firing to a value which allows strobes to fire.

3. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Isn't the Q menu Fujifilm's version of custom user settings or program modes? And isn't it better than the mere 3 settings users of Canon and Nikon etc get?
    Under the Q menu we can customize exactly which settings are or aren't in the Q menu array and we can customize 7 different user configurations. I might set C1 for Black and White street photos and C2 for Landscapes and C3 for Color Portraits and C4 for B+W portraiture and C5 for.......
    Or am I missing something?

F2Bthere and kerrydeare like this.
  4. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

The C1, C2 settings hold only a small subset of settings, mostly, if not entirely, relevant to JPG use. Canon/Nikon hold complete banks of settings.

Fuji's Q menu is just a menu not a saving of settings.

F2Bthere likes this.
  5. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

It would be desirable to change banks of settings quickly with a command dial or function button.

F2Bthere likes this.
  6. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, you do miss a lot . . .
    You can't set SS, ISO, and aperture. At least ISO, and SS.
    Diving into Q Menu is impractical. We need a mechanical lever, easy reachable. No dialer. A lever.
    Like X-Pro has a lever to toggle between OVF & EVF.
    No time fiddling in Menu.

F2Bthere likes this.
  7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No Fn button, and no command dial is practical.
    Just a lever to intuitively toggle between modes. You get only 2 secs of time to do that.
    One sec to make up your mind, and in the next second just do it.
    Jeez . . . I've missed so many great unexpected opportunities for the epic shot. It's not really fun, honest.
    I really need to get another, non Fuji camera. Just to get back the fun of shooting the street, events, and so on . .
    Those unexpected moments matter the most for me. And, the joy of shooting again.

F2Bthere likes this.
  8. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Aperture, shutter speed and auto ISO range - would give the ability to switch quickly between landscape and a fast moving animal with a single click

YogiMik and F2Bthere like this.
  9. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The problem with having shutter speed and aperture set in menu or electronically is that you would have a conflict with the "analog" controls on the body and whatever settings are stored in your user setting bank.
    Auto ISO range is a setting that is stored in a Q menu bank.
    A "single click" or "lever" option only gives you a single option other than what ever the camera is currently set to.
    Not every photo opp is supposed to be got. You look at your watch, tie your shoe, take a sip of coffee, change a lens--it's the nature of life that you're going to miss stuff. Automating stuff isn't the answer--there will always be things that are just out of reach that seems like it can be gotten with an "if only I had a button that......"

merosen and F2Bthere like this.
  10. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

There doesn't have to be a conflict - we already have the option to change aperture and shutter speed using the dials.

You may be happy to miss opportunities - you wouldn't have to use this feature.

F2Bthere likes this.
  11. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If Fuji had program modes it would be another brand of camera. One of the strong benefits to Fuji is that, while it can be flipped into full automatic mode for those days when your photographic skills are taking a break, it specifically DOES NOT have program modes. If someone wants program modes there is Canon, Nikon, Pentax.......

merosen, Forum GAS and F2Bthere like this.
  12. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

I’d like a user programmable set of parameters that changes when going from C to S AF modes. No big deal but would be nice.

F2Bthere likes this.
  13. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Don't get me wrong--I'm not happy about missing stuff, but it's a fact of life. In fact, I'm not even a fan of the Q menu--the Q button on the XH1 is in such a lousy spot, that I've disabled the button all together.
    There is a point where the flexibility and customizability of the Fuji system gets so complicated that it veers into the Law of Diminishing Returns. Those of us who've been on the boards and with the system for any length of time can attest to how many "features" quickly and routinely flummoxed new Fuji consumers. Some customization settings disable other features and sometimes those aren't necessarily obvious. Anybody remember "Silent Mode: On, Off"? Or the less than obvious ways that flash is disabled by ES, Bracketing or Continuous High/Lo? Even now with the latest series of bodies, even though you might set your EC or Shutter dial to C, there is a hidden setting in the menu to set the command dial to Auto or Command. A great feature and necessarily complicated, but it's not intuitive and baffles anyone who won't read the manual.
    I guess my overall point is that there is a version of user program modes called the Q menu and it works as well as it does but it won't do everything and with the exception of setting your Shutter and Aperture, is pretty well on par with the competitition. Shit will fall through the cracks either because of dynamic situations or whatever. That's life, and it's not a fault of a camera manufacturer that we can't do everything everytime. Learn your equipment, try to be prepared and if you can't capture the shot, relax and at least capture the memory instead of missing everything because your diddling with your equipment.

merosen and F2Bthere like this.
  14. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What I hope is that we can generate a list for each person of what specific set of setting they would like to have controlled by a single setting.

There are some challenges with making a setting while other controls are in a given state (is an aperture value set, is a shutter speed set, is an ISO set, etc) but perhaps accessing the modes would require the dials to be set to A. It could also act as an override, but this introduces a lot of potential problems and confusions.

15. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would paint it white, put on a logo that looks like a fruit with a bite out of it, take the lens mount away and replace it with a fixed lens about the size of a pencil head, and market for millennials

16. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

;)

You might get rich off of that idea...

17. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

I'd certain;y take advantage of Apple's processing power and software skills

F2Bthere likes this.
  18. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is an interesting point.

Computational Photography is the cutting edge of camera technology which is being used in phone cameras which allows them to get an astounding amount of capability out of a miniature sensor with a tiny lens. At least some of that technology would make a meaningful difference in cameras with larger sensors.

19. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not even close. You want to
    • * control the full set of AF settings, from switching between AF-S to AF-C all the way to controlling the AF settings that are available from the menu like AF mode, tracking modes, etc.
    • * turn pre-AF on/off
    • * turn off/on face detection
    • * select shutter or focus priority for continuous shooting
    • maybe control the flash settings (just because you could, for me I wouldn't need as flash is deliberate and planned)
    • maybe control the AF illuminator (probably not)
    • * set a metering mode;
    • * set image quality/size to record (because it influences speed),
    • * reset exposure comp
    • * specify shutter type
    • set preview exposure & preview picture effect
    • turn on/off image review after shot (that is debatable, I always have it off anyways as I think most people who want fast behavior will)
    • * control Auto-ISO settings
    • * power Setting to go into boost mode
    • maybe even control a bunch of stuff in the "User Settings" like sound and screen setup
    • * I'd personally also want a way to map aperture away from the lens to one of the control wheels when the lens is set to A; that would open up "aperture presets" which could prefer more or less open apertures depending on the selected Mode
    I've marked the ones I find most useful with a *.

Oh, and to be clear: while these show up on the Mode dial for the typical DSLR, for me they are banks for "Custom Settings". You might call it a mode, I don't know.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    F2Bthere and YogiMik like this.
  20. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji has no analog controls.
    Other camera makers can do it, then Fuji can, too.
    Otherwise, by today's standards, it is only a half camera.
    If I add to it the lack of tilty, it is only a quarter of the camera.
    A very limited functionality by today's standards, to shoot in sleepy sheepish pace.

F2Bthere likes this.