This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

If Leica can do it...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Michael Eric Bérubé, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Michael Eric Bérubé

Michael Eric Bérubé Premium Member

Wild, Wooded, Western Hills of Maine, USA

-Return to Top-

...Fuji should be able to as well.

The Leica Summicon-TL 23/2 is the size that I was hoping the Fuji XF23/2 would be....Much more 'pancakesque' than what we ended up with. Don't get me wrong, I like my 23/1.4, but I'd really like a smaller version. (I'm not sure buying the $1900 Leica and using it with an adapter that I'm not sure exists yet is the answer.) :)

[​IMG]

Please login or register to view links

2. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree, that would be nice. But this doesn’t appear to have an aperture ring or f stop markings.

YogiMik likes this.
  3. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

and what's the difference in price?

rayvonn and imagesfromobjects like this.
  4. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji surely can do pancakes as evidenced by XF18mm f2 but how does this lens perform compared to XF23mm f2? I can't find any review about it on review sites like lenstip.

5. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji could surely make pancakes...as evidenced by its FX 27/2.8, and I have one. It works well without an aperture ring...just use the Commander Dial.

The FX 27/2.8 mounted on my X-E3 lessened my hankering for upgrading my X100 still in use. If an FX 23/2.8 is offered, it will certainly kill the X100f [...for me].

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. Tom239

Tom239 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Fuji focuses closer (22cm versus 30cm) and is weather resistant (the Leica isn't). The Leica costs 4x as much ($1850 v. $450).

But yeah the Leica lens is compact. It will be interesting to see detailed reviews once they come out.

7. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, every lens is a trade-off. :)

I would not trade close focus or lack of aperture ring for smaller size, but there is space for a variety of options.

On the one hand, it is hard to see how many users this compromise could attract with the existing 27mm being so close in size and the 18/2 being available.

On the other hand, Fuji already has three solid 23mm options if you include the X100 series, and none of them is having a problem attracting buyers, so perhaps there is more market opportunity than I see.

8. Jim D

Jim D Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As mentioned the 18/2 and 27/2.8 are very good low-pro lenses , is there really that much these can't capture that a 23/2 can ? I have gotten some very nice images with the 27.Not a pro here just an honest question . The leica does look very nice though

9. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Any lens with a FL at format diagonal is dubbed Goldilocks lens...not to wide and not too long. For APS-C it is 28mm FL...27mm is a nod to the 40mm lens commonly used in FF [...should have been 43mm FL].

I welded on a LM 28/2.8 in my X-E1, X-E3 for that reason...have a FX 27/2.8 just in case I want some AF fun.

10. JonPB

JonPB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Two issues: sensor stack and glass cost.

The Leica TL system appears to use a thinner sensor stack than Fuji XF. This means that Fuji's lenses need to be more telecentric to achieve the same quality, which requires physically longer lenses at wide angles if all else is held the same.

Of course, not all else need be held the same. At a higher cost -- of both the glass itself and inherent in manufacture -- glass with stronger refraction could be used. Yes, this implies that a TL 23/2 (or 18/2.8) equivalent for the XF system would be even more expensive on marginal basis than the Leica lenses themselves.

Who would be willing to pay that higher price? At lower volumes, all of the fixed costs go up as relative per piece cost, possibly making it prohibitively difficult to achieve even the same quality in smaller packages. And while they're developing those niche lenses, they're not developing mass-market lenses that expand the base of Fuji shooters that support all of us. Which is likely why we've ended up with the lineup that we have.

For the record, a higher price wouldn't have turned me away from smaller and/or higher quality lenses, and a line of narrow aperture pancake lenses (f/4?) with high prices would still be quite attractive. But I suspect I'm in the minority on that. Still, I'd remind Fujifilm that relatively high priced and niche-targeted products are what put the X/XF system on the map.

PS: focus and even aperture tabs are marvelous in their own right and allow pancake lenses to keep the same direct control of larger, ring-controlled lenses.

11. Paul Reading

Paul Reading Member

-Return to Top-

I am pretty sure that the Leica lens will prove to be better than the Fuji. I recently bought the Graphite X-Pro 2 and 10-23 & 55-200 Lenses. I may have made a mistake in not going to the Leica CL as their system is not only smaller but I suspect also higher quality. However I did this because I wanted the full manual control with aperture rings and manual shutter speed control. I hate digging into menus to make changes to camera settings, it is really difficult to do it in bright (Snowy conditions) and time consuming to the point that it is easy to miss a shot. The one thing I dd not expect with the X-Pro 2 was the easy with which I can accidentally move the exposure compensation in error. If I cannot get along with it I may chop the whole lot in when a CL in silver becomes available.

My biggest wish list for Fuji is that some of the interesting manual lenses become chipped so that the camera is aware of them.