This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I'm a total newly to photography but feel free to be brutal in your feedback :)

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by Amysyson, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Amysyson

Amysyson Member

-Return to Top-

Bored at the airport

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. erik_lundqvist

erik_lundqvist Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The second is by far the best one out of the lot.

For the other: If you have to go all crazy on the colours there is a risk it is just not a very good image to start with.

Keep trying :)

3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I guess my comment is that posting the same set of photos twice is not the done thing around here.

4. gduncanson

gduncanson battery sherpa

-Return to Top-

Personally I like the fourth one. A good way to spend the time before your flight. :)

5. Price

Price Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like you have a good eye to work with. I'm not a fan of slavishly following "rules" but your photos do exhibit some well known, effective compositional elements. Specifically I refer to leading lines and diagonals, both of which are strong and interesting in compositions. Good use of down time, so keep at it!

6. wintx

wintx Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

That airport looks like a factory, very depressing. No wonder you're bored! :eek:

7. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also noted the double posting, but since you are begging :) - that's very tongue in cheek. It's hard to get started and you've taken the risk of asking, so here goes...... ;) .

I understand, bored at the airport and moody, and a bunch of other things. I've followed those emotions in my photography but the best feedback I've gotten on those blasie-spurred attempts is "make it relevant". Either work hard at conveying that emotion to a stranger or don't display it. I'm not criticising you for posting, just a reminder that a displayed photo is for the audience.

Photo #1: this has people in it. People look for themselves in photos, whether they are in them or not. We just look for a connection. That's why people pictures must have faces. Blocking up the silhouettes and adding the color is kind of like saying "I give up". I didn't do it right in the first place so here, "take that". To a photographer, using the "out of spectrum color" is also like saying there were so many colored light sources in this image, I couldn't get it right so I made up another. It does have impact and if someone supports this technique I hope they speak up. It's not my cup of tea. But I understand trying to make something happen and there are a lot of post processing tools at our disposal.

Photo #2: this doesn't have people in it. Boy you just can't please me can you o_O . If the backstory on this image was "unclaimed suitcase found by TSA" then that would explain the scale and void here. If it's "it's late at night, I've missed my plane, I'm stuck in this spot" then there still needs to be a lonely sole sleeping on the seats. There is a sense of scale, physical plant, vastness and the people in the upper left speak to that, but it's just not central.

Photo #3: This works, it might work better with a straight B&W portrayal. Pure B&W is an accepted art and reportage form.

Photo #4: Totally abstract, some sense of motion, color has artistic turn, just enough form to pique some intellectual curiosity. Helps to know this was in an airport. IMO that needs to be told to the viewer. Images that need verbal setup leave something to be desired. Think of the image as being self contained.

Photo #5: I've been pretty tough on the color. I still don't think it works here. But what does work is all the empty seats. Those of us that have spent too much of our life in airports have pause to wonder, where, why, what - empty seats at the bar!! Empty seats anywhere. What time of day was this? The bar looks like it's on a concourse, but some visual reference to "airport" would seal the deal.

Keep on trying. What every your story is behind the lens, don't let it get in the way of what message you are trying to convey to the viewer. Even just the non-descript snapshot is more powerful is there is direction, motion, story, identity.

Have fun,
    I hope this wasn't received as a crushing discourse.

8. Amysyson

Amysyson Member

-Return to Top-

All,
    Thank you for the feedback....some really helpful points made. And my apologies for the double posting.....I noticed this forum after posting the original batch and was keen to put them 'out there' for feedback.

I have plenty more...all taken in the last few months and would appreciate posting some of those for further feedback?

9. Alternis

Alternis Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Good use of lines.

Pretty bold and vibrant colors, but they work with the shots.

10. Keith Towers

Keith Towers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not sure I like the colour processing, but then I am a biased mono man myself. Everything else kind of ticks all the boxes for me, but left me with a few personal doubts. Your structural composition and subject matter held my interest for more than a passing glance, which is a good thing, so yes, you have a good eye for detail. But photography is not just about taking technically good images. It is also about getting emotionally attached to a subject and being able to project that feeling back to the person/s viewing them. I did not feel that myself. Otherwise, I have to applaud you and say well done, because if you are totally new to photography as you say in your title, it won't be long before your work gets noticed.

11. Amysyson

Amysyson Member

-Return to Top-

Hi All
    Thanks for the kind words and positive criticism. What a fantastic forum! And beautiful cameras. Posting a few more pics. These are taken adhoc and mainly on my way to and from work .... If I see something interesting and can stop without a massive detour or causing an accident....

Just to clarify.... I have zero experience in photography and little to no technical skills. I take the photo, wifi transfer to my phone and use the iOS app for some very basic post production and that's it.

But I love it!!! Wish I had tried it out years ago :)

12. rybolt

rybolt rybolt

-Return to Top-

I appreciate your enthusiasm. Take lots of pictures but also learn how the software works. You can take a very nice image and either totally destroy it or make it 100% better by knowing what you're doing in post-processing.
    No one is born with technical skills. For some people they come easier than they do for others but learning the technical skills will make your pictures better.

13. Amysyson

Amysyson Member

-Return to Top-

A few of the hundreds of pics taken here in KC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14. Amysyson

Amysyson Member

-Return to Top-

The babies are mine

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

15. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hallo,
    It's difficult to comment on your selection, because your photos are inconsistent. You may be a novice photographer, but you clearly have a fine arts, architecture etc. background of some kind. Some of the photos are composed to a degree which doesn't happen accidentally. Some others lack even the slightest trace of composition or apparent thought put into them.

Likewise you seem to have a preference towards a certain look one might call a personal style. Yet some of your examples completely diverge in every aspect. I am neither going to comment on the agley shots nor on your green phase including the B/W images in the same style. I have no understanding of them as they represent a view of the world I don't seem to have common grounds with. There is no point commenting on something I don't understand nor particularly like.

So here is how I feel about two of the shots I hink I know how/why they came about.

Example one, Boy on a uggly plastic mule.
    Problems and possible solutions:

-First and impossible to overcome problem is the very ordinary light. It is possible to obtain a usable shot despite ugly light, but unless you absolutely need a shot (trust me, you don't) don't take one under such circumstances.
    -Complete lack of composition. Take an entirely different shot next time.
    -Unatractive B/W conversion. Use camera JPEG.
    -There is too much rubbish in the shot. A narrow DOF would be the easy way out, but I suggest you rather take the shot standing in front of the mule and much closer. This would:
    • leave less room for rubbish
    • provide narrow DOF
    • most likely cure overexposure by providing less uneven light
    • yield a dynamic photo, feeling less staged
    • loose the majority of the most unsightly mule
    • provide more compositional options
    -Overexposure. Use the finder histogram and EVF exposure preview feature to determine optimal exposure.

Loosing some rubbish and adding contrast makes for a slight improvement, but the fundamental problems persist:
    image-1.jpg

Example two, two kids. For my taste, this is the best photo of this selection.
    Problems and possible solutions:
    -Too shallow DOF. Print small, bring the boy forward or stop down
    -Some purplish surface reflects light (unevenly) into the photo, disturbing colour and skin tones. Of course this is best avoided, but can be fixed in many ways. A simple solution is converting it to B/W:
    image.jpg

Cheers!