This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I'm trying to decide - Fujifilm XF 14mm F/2.8 R

Discussion in 'Lens and Accessory Reviews' started by otsws, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:18 PM.

1. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm trying to decide if the Fujifilm XF 14mm F/2.8 R Lens will really be worth the purchase as my wide lens, I have the 18-55 and need something wider than this... i think
    So, does anyone have the 18-55 and the 14mm F/2.8 R Lens that has two shots of the same landscape as a comparison for me to look at?

Maybe I need to 10-24.

Cheers, Simon

2. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You complicated the issue when you put the 10-24 into your post. The 14mm is a small gem of a lens. It is a marvelous travel and landscape lens. The 10-24 is obviously more versatile and larger. Each will expand your view and is noticeably wider than the 18-55.

LionSpeed and Oscar Rodriguez like this.
  3. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 14mm is a whole lot wider than 18mm. You want the 14mm. I have the 18-55 as well as the 18mm and then nothing all the way to the Zeiss 12mm. That is a huge jump and one of these days I'll get the 14mm as well. I like the wide primes better than the 10-24 zoom, although the 10-24 is a very good quality lens. I just happen to value the extra speed and extra bit of sharpness that the primes provide.

I am expecting a Zenitar 16mm/2.8 fisheye M-42 mount lens to arrive in the mail soon. This will finally give me something to fill the giant gap between 18mm and 12mm. This is a FF lens that I will be able to use on several Pentax film cameras and a Pentax DSLR as well as on my Fuji cameras. It's a cheap lens, but quite sharp when stopped down, with good color and contrast.

If you want to compare photos go to Flickr and search under terms like "Fuji 14mm" or "X-Pro1 18mm" or similar. This will bring up hundreds of images by a wide variety of photographers.

4. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you are after a landscape lens, you most likely will be shooting in good light. A fast lens doesn’t help there, because you will have to stop it down a lot. I can’t see a prime having a major advantage there, and in bright light I’ve had to stop my 10-24 down, too, and use fast SS. That negates the speed of a wide prime.
    If you do evening/night landscapes, most likely you’d want a tripod anyway, so the 10-24 will still work at slow SS. Don’t let that scare you away from the 10-24.
    If you plan to use it for other kinds of shooting where a fast lens is an advantage or hate using a tripod, then yeah, I can see a fast prime. Only you know what you like to shoot.

trainer likes this.
  5. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the 14, the 10-24, and the 18-55. I rarely use the 18-55 but I use both the 14 and 10-24 a bunch. If I could only have one or the other, I'd have to opt for the 10-24 because it is so versatile and covers a great range. It is awfully sharp from 5.6 on up and gives excellent performance from 10-18mm, and awfully good performance from 19-24. But, it is a pretty big and heavy lens. If you want to stay light, then I'd opt for just the 14, which is a stellar performer as well.

LionSpeed and trainer like this.
  6. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks everyone, i wish Fuji made a prime wide with OIS. The 10-24 is only marginal in price here in Aussie dollars compared to the 14mm

When I'v made my decision I'll update here again.
    Cheers, Simon

7. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In addition to the 14mm, the 10-24, and the Zeiss 12mm, you should also consider the Rokinon 12mm.

8. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I have been looking at the Samyang 12mm however it's around $520 and hard to get, also the Rokinon 12mm I can't find as I think this might be the Samyang (I might be incorrect here)
    I really wanted to stay Fuji brand lens wise.

The 10-24 has OIS and the wide end I'm after, it's just.... I don't need the 18-24 part of this lens and I feel I'm wasting money on more gear that might sit in the bag more than actual in use. Gota dig deep in my head and sis it out.

Cheers, Simon

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 5:32 AM
  9. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you value travelling light get the 14mm, even shares a hood with the 18-55

If not go for the 10-24, its not massive, but considerably larger and weightier than the other two

This might help Please login or register to view links

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    Zlatko Batistich likes this.
  10. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks man, love the link.

Cheers, Simon

tijuana taxi likes this.
  11. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My pleasure Simon, cool site ain't it? good fun just playing about on there with different combos

This one is fun too for checking out focal length comparisons Please login or register to view links

Cheers
    Rich

12. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You're the boss, that's even better and loads of fun.

Cheers man,
    Simon

tijuana taxi likes this.
  13. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I forgot to mention, my day gig is video and the X-T2 is my main camera, abandoned Sony, Canon & Panasonic some time ago for Fuji.
    OIS is critical for video handheld, tripod never..... so this is why I'm wondering which way to go as I reckon the next X-T2s will have IBIS and the 14mm has my interest.

14. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Me again, looking at the comparisons on the link the 14mm looks like it might be wide enough.
    What a big difference, I was expecting at the wide end that 14 to 18mm would not have such a different view, I was expecting less on the 14mm.
    Happy days.

15. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 18-55 and the 14 make a great travel kit. The 14 is so light that it is trivial to carry around for when it is needed.

14 mm is a lot wider than 18 mm, and the 14 is optically far superior to the barrel distortion of the 18-55 at 18.

PT Lens, who sell lens correction software, state that the 14 mm has no distortion to correct. Please login or register to view links

morhafren likes this.
  16. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji 14mm is super sharp and fine lens.
    I have the 18-55mm as well and the 14mm pairs well with it. I need a little wider sometimes so I got the Samyang 8mm but I am thinking that a 10-24mm might suit me better when I travel.

17. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I struggled with choosing between the 14 or the 10-24. Both are fabulous lenses, each with their own +/-‘s. After owning, selling and repurchasing each I decided to stop wasting my money and decided to keep both. Sorry, I know this doesn’t help. Here’s my $.02, . . . .

When I want to travel light it’s an XE body with the 14, 18-55 & 23/2. Like for family trips and such. Nice light and flexible kit. Although the 14 is a fixed FL, it’s a lot more flexible than you might expect. I don’t often need 15-17mm, (with your 24mp sensor you can crop a bit to tighten up the image if necessary) and in most cases I can live without 10-13.

When I’m not concerned about the kit size it’s the X-T2, 10-24 & 55-200. The 10-24 balances great on the XT, with no accessory grips or add ons. If you think you need the IOS for video, or often have the need for the FL range, then the 10-24 is a given IMO.

We recently took a vacation in southern Utah. I used the 10-24 for 90% of my shots. No regrets.

Narsuitus likes this.
  18. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I get your dilemma. Been there a while back. I have the 14, 16, 10-24 .... Guess what, the only lens that gets to travel around the world many many times was actually the 10-24. OIS alone was worth the money. With 10mm superwide, I could capture so much. Get 10-24 now, save money & get the 16mm later. I still have the 14mm, it is a sharp lens & the cutest one of them all, but the 16mm.... oh boy! is still king.

Mike Gorman likes this.
  19. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks again everyone for ya valuable responses. I think on a business level the 10-24 makes complete sense and on an emotional level the 14mm is the one I think I need.

Trying to keep my kit small and light is easy with Fuji however I'm now gaining more weight with more kit, my lenses so far are the 18-55mm, 55-200, 23mm f2 (love this lens) and now one more soon.

Oh yeah, that 16mm is the bomb LionSpeed.

20. otsws

otsws Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Back again, made my decision.... the winner is :)

The 14mm, I love a prime lens so I'll get this, give it ago and if it's not suitable off she goes for sale.

Just want to add why the 14mm, well size, weight, and the 2.8 tipped me over from the 10-24mm.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Simon

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM