This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Is it normal for AD200 bulb to emit light indefinitely after firing?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by hyh, Mar 6, 2018.

1. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

So I just returned a Flashpoint eVOLV 200 (== Godox AD200) for an exchange because of a myriad of problems - the biggest one being a defective lever that refuses to release the fresnel head so that I couldn't use the bare bulb.

Anyhow, while I was testing out the unit, I noticed something else strange. After firing, the bulb in the fresnel head continued to emit low-level light continuously for quite some time - probably more than a minute. Is this normal? I did some search on the web, but I found nothing.

2. Woodworth

Woodworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The AD200 has a LED modelling light that is very easily switched on, perhaps this is the problem.

I have been using a couple of Ad200 units professionally for a while now and have no problems to report. The Fresnel head not releasing may be a fault but more than likely it is just a matter of technique. I found mine difficult to remove initially but now they seem easy enough to change.

bobbyzfx likes this.
  3. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did find the modeling light would come on and stay on when I didn't want it to.

4. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Haven't noticed it on mine? Although the LED does come on when it’s swithced on

5. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

RE: modelling light - yeah, maybe I accidentally pressed a wrong button while trying to set up slave group, etc. I wasn't aware of this function before, but I would have thought that the modeling light would turn on when I press the modeling light button - rather than only after firing. In any case, I'll know better when the replacement comes... most likely not until next week (Yuck!).

As for head not releasing, youtube videos I have seen make it look easy. As for me, I pulled REALLY HARD while fiddling with the release lever and it would not budge. I suppose I could have asked someone with stronger arms than me... I don't think I should have tried twisting/turning the head for releasing it? The instruction states, "Start with a removing an attached flash head by the sliding catch lock to the left (fig B / 11) and pulling gently on the head to slip it off the mounting plate of the eVOLV200 body."

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

Adorama provided me with a better instructions on how to remove the head. The picture is more instructive than the words provided in the manual.

unnamed.png

A better or more precise wording may be ...

To release the fresnel head, pull the release lever/button and slide the head upwards.

(instead of "Start with a removing an attached flash head by the sliding catch lock to the left (fig B / 11) and pulling gently on the head to slip it off the mounting plate of the eVOLV200 body.")

And a video - with start timed for releasing the head. Without knowing the precise technique, it could be tricky.

7. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

The replacement unit actually arrived by Saturday evening, and I was able to do some shooting with a partially charged battery. Everything worked fine, except the rate of misfiring by XT-1F was a bit high ... maybe a dozen misfires over around 600 shots.

I did not know how to get to the 0-30m mode (pressing test button while turning it on), so I'll have to give that a try next time (something that has been done every time the unit is turned on as far as I know). IMHO, 0-30m mode should be the default -- I'd imagine that most people would use this mode more than longer range mode.

FWIW, I had a Phottix Ares trigger on the hotshoe of the XT-1F, and the Ares was able to trigger my LumoPro LP180 units in this configuration even when the XT-1F was unable to trigger AD200 and/or V860II or TT350. FWIW, triggering using TT350 was much better than XT-1F in my experience (at least without going into 0-30m mode so far), so I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad next time.

I also got into AUTO mode of my X-E2S by accident at one point -- this apparently made my lights to go into TTL mode - it was truly awful on so many levels. Overexposed as hell. Nightmarish auto focus. I came to despise that AUTO button. Manual mode is the way to go. Remote control of the light levels is very nice, however.