This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Konica Hexanon 40mm/1.8 lens on Fuji

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Leica Elmarit-M ASPH 28mm is the perfect 28mm by 2018 standards if 1:2.8 is fast enough. The adapter adds little to its tiny size and you could use a close focus adapter with the Sony. It's difficult to comment on 50's because there's so many of them and everyone has their own opinion on what a 50mm lens should be. Leica lenses are impeccable but generally not for people who look for great bokeh or dreamy rendering etc.

2. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

A 90mm macro is almost certain to be next, thanks for the heads up on the Vivitar. Natalie Cortez was asking about promo shots for a side-project she is putting together and I may be able to swing one after that.
    As for the 35 1.4, it's been on my list since before I even bought my E1. And considering price-wise they aren't too much more used than what I just paid for my Rokinon, I may be able to get it in the next year or two. Sooner if business picks up. Until then, the Konica 40 isn't a terrible substitute.

3. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

Not to sidetrack the thread any more than has already been done, but - yes. was looking into it over the past few days and it may just be the next on my "eyes on the prize" list. Also interested in the Voigtlander Color Skopar 28/3.5, but I'm kinda at the point where I don't want to f*ck around with older gear anymore. It may just be worth it to save (and save, and save) for a new Elmarit, and if I don't get along with it, sell it. Leica is one brand which doesn't seem to depreciate too badly. Do you have experience with other, older versions?

Edit- of course I'll be keeping my Takumars and Lydith and Helios for when I want more character, but I'm tired of fussing about with weird mechanical quirks and too-pronounced character. Interested in a "reference lens"

4. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Don't bother with older Leica 28mm lenses. The Voigtlander Ultron M 28mm 1:2.0 is better than all of them and less expensive new. If you want to save money, that's your best bet. Thats talking about M glass, I know nothing about SLR glass in this FL. The Elmarit is the preferred lens due to finder blockage issues. Your Sony has no finder and you might want to look into the Summicron ASPH. This is the ultimate Leica wide angle. It's not much larger than the Elmarit, not enough to matter for you. You find the Summicron ASPH for the same price used as the Elmarit ASPH. A new Ultron costs half a used Summicron or Elmarit. There's a Zeiss ZM lens, too, but I know nothing about it. You should be aware that Leica rendering is not to everybodys liking. I suggest you visit a Leica store and try these lenses.

I payed 1500-ish new for my Elmarit. I could sell it today for the same price.
    I wolud have payed more for the Summicron, it is the better lens, yet it would't be worth more today.
    An Elmarit ASPH or Summicron ASPH isn't better new than used and it doesn't last longer.
    I don't know if your Sony can handle a Leica WA. I think some Sonys can and some can't, but I don't know which. Maybe, after you got yourself a Leica lens, you find you need a real camera too, hehehe.

beakhammer and imagesfromobjects like this.
  5. JonathanMac

JonathanMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I came across a Konia 40/1.8 (the original version I think) just the other day but at €60 I thought it was a little pricey, plus I don't have any Konica adapter or film bodies to use it on and I already have the Pentax 40mm f/2.8 limited. Looks like people like this lens a lot.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  6. Tara Elizabeth

-Return to Top-

That's definitely a bit pricey for it. I've seen them go for that much, but I got mine significantly cheaper along with a film body.

7. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's a great little lens for the Fuji cameras - even with the adapter it's only 49.5mm at infinity. The 50/1.7 is 67.5mm with the adapter at infinity. Both are really sharp. I see you are in Madrid - have you tried eBay Europe? There are usually a good number of sellers in Germany for some reason. I'd agree with Tara that €60 seems a bit expensive. I bought a working Konica TC 35mm SLR camera with 28/3.5 and 40/1.8 off eBay last year for £23 plus postage. The 40mm had some inner fungus but they are easy to strip and clean. There are plenty of references and guides on the internet on how to do this.
    Here's a good Konica reference website.
    Please login or register to view links

8. Tara Elizabeth

-Return to Top-

That site is a fantastic resource, although I disagree entirely with their assessment of the 57 1.4 and its supposed inferiority to the 50 1.4. Having both, the two are so different they can't honestly be compared.

9. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

True, but I think the word might be getting out that this is a killer small lens/adapter combo, so 'bay prices seemed to be climbing when I last checked. I've now had and sold 2 copies, one was decent, one was GREAT. The less great of the two likely had *very* mild haze of some sort, hence more glow wide open. Both sold for around $50, if I remember correctly. I won't mention how much I paid for them (at thrift stores) but to quote Omar from the Wire, "it's all in the game."

HA.

Anyway, I miss it, which is why I was checking a while back. It is a wonderful little setup. I'm happy with the 50/1.8, which is not much bigger - for those times I want a low profile.

10. Iwan van der Linden

Iwan van der Linden Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Most of the time i walk around with my Meyer optik gorlitz 135mm f2.8 and 200mm F4. (Both have 15 diafragma blades)
    In my bag i also carry the pentacon 28mm f2.8 and a 50mm f1.8.
    My Helios 44-2 58mm f2.8 and the fujinon 50mm f2.0.
    Together with 2x X-T1.

I do got the fujinon 100-400mm and use it when really needed but most of the time (almost always) i shoot with my M42 lenses, i really love it !
    The manual focus, the bokeh and the character that those lenses give my photo's, for me it brings a kinda special look and feel in my photo's.
    I still keep an eye out for that Konica lens in good condition (and other gems...) ;)

Wildlife and nature is my main thing, if you like it here is some of my work: Please login or register to view links

11. Tara Elizabeth

-Return to Top-

That's about twice what I paid for mine, but I scored mine locally rather than on the 'bay. I bought it initially as a small walk-around lens (I do love how small the setup is with the tiny adapter) and I have been using it for that some, but it's ended up mostly finding use for food and instrument photography. (I used it for still-life too until I discovered that was one of the things the 50 1.4 does best)
    I don't blame you for looking for another one. While it's not my favorite, it's also one of the most versatile lenses in my bag and I would be bummed if I didn't have it.