This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

L-bracket for X-T2

Discussion in 'Fuji X Accessories' started by Kerry Gordon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I know this has been discussed but I would like to get the latest take on this. I want to buy an l-bracket for my X-t2. The price is less of a concern than function. I need to be able to mount the bracket, plug in a cable release in the side port and still be able to tripod mount the camera in portrait or landscape mode. Do any of the brackets currently available meet those criteria? I can't screw in a cable release to my shutter button because I have a soft button already screwed in there. And I can't use an app for release since I'm often shooting in remote areas where app access isn't possible. I'd appreciate your thoughts or observations. Thanks.

2. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A bit of not answering question directly. Even worse, asking a question about your question.

By what do you mean an app is not possible? Lack of WiFi? Use adhock WiFi via X-T2 WiFi. Of corse this assumes by app you mean on a mobil device.

3. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

I'm in places where Wifi is not accessible, there are no towers that are in range. I'm an old guy and don't understand this stuff very much but I thought where you couldn't use a mobile device you wouldn't have access to any apps.

4. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And, as for answering your question. Mind you this will get a lot of back talk due to cost. Really Right Stuff (RRS) BXT2. The L component is adjustable and can be moved out to clear cable space. It also has an advantage over other brands in that it includes two QD sockets (quick detach socket, one in the base plate, one in the L component, allows you to attach say a strap using a QD bolt, like uses with gun slings)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If your Mobil device has WiFi capability, you turn on the WiFi on the X-T2, and connect your Mobil device to that WiFi network. Mind you many people have issues with Fiji’s implementation of WiFi,

Perhaps, if you share with us your app and your Mobil device, other members might have some lessons learned with that combo

6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

As mentioned you do not even need cell phone service for the app to work. All that is required is that the phone and camera both have power and that they are close enough to communicate with each other.

7. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

As I say, I'm a bit of a Luddite in these matters but my understanding is that mobile devices won't work in a lot of the places that I shoot. So, for example, if I took an iPhone with me (I don't actually have one) it wouldn't function.

8. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

I didn't know that. So where would the mobile device be getting it's signal from - how does it connect to the app?

9. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

I have some experience with RRS products and my experience is that I got what I paid for - superb quality and engineering. If I move the bracket out to clear for the cable will everything still be balanced when I mount it on my tripod in portrait orientation?

NYRich and ian66 like this.
  10. JohnX

JohnX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Using an app to operate a camera.

Load the camera manufacturers app on the phone. Switch on the phones wifi. Switch on wifi on the camera. The camera creates it's own low range wifi 'network'. Look on the phone for the camera's wifi signal. Connect the phone to the camera's wifi. Operate the camera via the app.

You don't need a mobile network signal.

QED.

11. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do not see why not. Mind you, I would not be mounting long glass to a tripod via the L plate, instead I you’ll go for mounting via the lens collar. Certantly not for a 100-400 zoom.

12. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

No, I get that. This would be like for 16-55 f/2.8 at the largest.

13. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

Aha. Would that also be true if, for example, I wanted to use an app like Photopills, even if I was out of mobile network signal range?

14. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

I have a RRS l bracket for my Canon DSLR. For my Fuji X-T2 I bought a Fotomix bracket. It's made as well as the RRS bracket, works great, includes a built-in grip on the right side and cost about 20% of a RRS bracket. I'd highly recommend it.

15. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The only signal it needs is from the camera..
    You are confusing the phone signal and Internet access with the wifi signal from the camera.
    I have posted this photo previously. This photo was taken on my X-T1 using the app in a location where there is no cell phone service.

Please login or register to view links

rammichawla likes this.
  16. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I purchased a 3 Legged Thing QR11, I haven't used it as yet, just thought it was a good idea at the time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MassillonFun

MassillonFun Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Using the phone app can be finicky and a real pain in the butt if you are doing a lot of shooting.
    I bought an L bracket on Amazon that has a built-in large grip for around $25. The grip is not very "grippy" but it suits me just fine It has enough clearance that I can have the side door partially open with a wired remote plugged in.
    You need to make sure that the plug for the remote is L-shaped, with the wire coming out at a 90 degree angle to the camera.
    There is a wired remote that many of us are using that is cheap and works great on Fujis I think that it's a Canon remote that is readily available at B&H.
    I should mention that I have an Xt1, but I doubt that there is much difference.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  18. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I use a wired Godox remote on my X-T1and X-T2. With a good bracket you can use it in portrait or landscape orientations.

Sometimes I also trigger my camera with the Triggertrap app and dongle on my iPhone, using just my voice. By saying a word like "bang" the shutter is pressed. The sound volume required is easily adjustable in case you are in a noisy location. I prefer this wired use of the iPhone over the sometimes tricky wifi network between the iPhone and the camera.

A Krk bracket like this would work for you:

19. Ryukyu

Ryukyu Member

-Return to Top-

No that would not work.
    The camera has it's own wifi in it, and it has a limited range. It can communicate with another device in close proximity, such as your phone. But it has no connection to an internet connection. So the wifi connection exist between your camera and phone only. As if there was a wire running from your phone to your camera.
    In case you can't find a cable that will work, there are some manufacturers, including Really Right Stuff, that make a cable spacer for L-plates.

20. Kerry Gordon

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your patient and clear explanation. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks :>)