This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Leaning towards X-T20. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Robert Brummitt, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have been saving my pennies, sold some old equipment and now thinking of buying a new X-T20. I like that it offers some of the benefits of the X-T2 but a a lower price. I like that the X20 has the tilting view screen that I can touch where I want to focus and fire the shutter.

I believe that the X20 uses the same batteries as my X=T1 and uses the same X lenses that I have. Makes for easy sharing between the two camera bodies. But I want to be sure that this is the one for me. Maybe you know something I don't? Maybe you like the camera, maybe you don't?

Can you share with me your thoughts ?

Thanks

Robert

rayvonn likes this.
  2. Neil_42

Neil_42 Member

-Return to Top-

I have an X-T20 and love it. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the X-T2, it has the tilting touch screen that you mention and it is perfectly suited to your lenses and batteries from the X-T1. You will also appreciate the results you get from the 24 megapixel sensor.

Neil

Viewfinder likes this.
  3. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1.
    But you should try the camera for yourself. I don’t personally use the touchscreen. I also own the X-T2 but reach for the X-T20 about 90% of the time because of its compact size. The exception is when I’m using the long lenses and shooting action-y things.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Hammam and CWRailman like this.
  4. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is there a grip for the X-T20? I have big hands. I have a power grip for my X-T1 and it works really well for me.

5. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

I love my X-T20. The only thing I don't like about it is the touch screen focus. Turned it off.

Hammam and Brian1940 like this.
  6. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lots of grips, but none that are powered like the vertical grips for X-T1 or X-T2. The ones that fit the X-T10 will also fit the 20.

7. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, the same batteries : NP-W126S or the older NP-W126.
    The Mount is the same X Mount for XF lenses.

No power grip, but the Hand Grip MHG-X10 (Compatibility FUJIFILM X-T20 / X-T10)
    Please login or register to view links

It's seems there is also this one :
    Quick Release L-Bracket Camera Grip Mount For FUJIFILM FUJI X-T20.

8. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Other than the size and the touch screen, the only major issue would be if you're looking to do much video. While the X-T2's 4K is cropped, the X-T20's is full sensor, but with pixel binning. This has the effect of making the latter camera's 4K slightly less sharp and more prone to moire and aliasing.

CWRailman likes this.
  9. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you have big hands, try before you buy. I have small hands, but find the dials and buttons a bit problematic
    (keep hitting them inadvertently and thus changing settings).

If the touchscreen is for you, go for it. I switched mine off. The camera's image results are excellent.

10. Rupert Boston

Rupert Boston Member

-Return to Top-

I have recently switched from Canon to the X-T20 and I absolutely love it, this being my first Fuji though I can't compare it to the X-T1/X-T2. What I can say is though the small form factor makes it a delight to carry and find I take it most places as it's so compact, I have put the official grip on it which does make the grip on the front a lot deeper and easier to hold as without it I always felt like I was going to drop it.

The touchscreen is a delight to use and great for image playback, I also read there is a firmware update coming soon which will allow you to use the touchscreen when looking through the evf so I guess you will be able to pick your focus point using the touchscreen while looking through the evf, that will be very handy if implemented properly.

The button placement is great, I would say I have average size male hands and I don't find any problems at all, but it did take a few weeks to get used to everything. There isn't a dedicated ISO button/wheel, but I've set the front function button up to do this and it's a real breeze to change.

I'm using the X-T20 with the 10-24mm, 23mm f1.4 and 18-135mm, all "big" lenses, but I normally hold the lens with my left hand and the camera with my right, this way the camera doesn't feel too light for the lens and you can get great steady shots, again I don't have any issues.

With the X-T20 you get the same sensor and same autofocus as the XT-2 and therefore the same amazing image quality, you lose a memory card slot and the 4K footage is not quite as good, but the footage I have taken has still blown me away. The smaller size and weight are a huge advantage to me and at nearly half the price of the X-T2 the purchase of the X-T20 was a no brainier!! Now as people have said you are advised to try both and see what fits your needs, for me it was easy, maybe a wedding photographer absolutely needs that second memory card slot, or the focus selector joystick only you can make that desicion, but I certainly have no regrets about if I bought the right model !!!

Neil_42 likes this.
  11. jutuiz71

jutuiz71 Member

-Return to Top-

I have the x-t20 together with an x-m1 as backup. I used to have the x-pro1.
    I'm convinced that the x-pro's offer the best design and handling overall, but given the price and my type of photography the x-t20 is doing really fine either.

The plusses of the x-t20 are:
    - the small size
    - it's price compared to - as for my use - a complete set of features compared to the x-t2
    - the flip screen

The cons for the x-t20 are:
    - it feels rather cramped in my hand, even with the fuji mgh-X-T20 adaptor on it
    - it doesn't feel nearly as sturdy as my old x-pro1
    - a tricky startup behaviour, I need to power off and on too much imho (but I could be me having to read the manual someday)

As other people in this thread I hardly use the touch screen . Can come in handy sometimes, but mostly it triggers unwanted actions on the go.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  12. barry S

barry S Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have the X-T20..............it is very small and with the 18-55 lens very front heavy.. I would never use it without a wrist strap. I also have an x70 and because of the smaller almost pancake lens it is easier to hold.
    Both great cameras. I am considering a grip for the X-T20 but the cheap ones are so naff looking........and the expensive fuji one is so expensive.

having said all that the results from both cameras are quite superb. I also don't bother with the touch screen.

13. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was lucky and got both X-T20 and X-T2 as I jumped over from Canon. Love both the Fuji`s but when I want to go a bit lighter and smaller I take the X-T20 out, for me I turned off the touch screen then got a red button for the shutter ( both X cameras ). Now though when I go out I take both as I kept my Lowepro Slingshot 202 and both go in a treat. Yes the X-T20 is smaller but imo it is a cracking little camera to use, you wont go wrong with it.

14. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree totally with @DaveX 's comment ^ above.

I have both of those cameras as well and have shot the X-T20 with my longest lens (55-200) without an extra grip or anything and found it quite hand-holdable (wrist strap)

Neil_42 and DaveX like this.
  15. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have heard that some members here use the Metro Case Grip, @robert will give you a better idea than I can.

16. Hammam

Hammam Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-T20 is a great camera. I've had several Fuji X cameras (X-T2, X-100T and F, X-E2, X-T10...), and, after a stint with Olympus Pen-F, I just came back to Fuji with the X-T20. Great images, small, fast, and easy to use and configure to your liking. As for the touchscreen allowing to chose where to put the focus point, I think it's a gimmick. What happpened to good old focus and re-compose?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 11:57 PM
  17. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not to rain on the parade but it’s worth noting there’s a little controversy over X-T20 firmware at the moment. After the X-E3 launched with an improved AF tracking algorithm, blinkies for overexposure and RGB histogram options most assumed those features would come to all the current cameras. Instead they’ve come to the X-T2, been promised for the December X-Pro2 update, but are notably and seemingly deliberately absent from the latest X-T20 update with nothing further promised or on the horizon. So it seems there is something else that potential X-T20 owners should consider - their lack of priority for firmware development.

18. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Read something about there not being enough spare memory space for an update to include all the new features

19. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not close enough to the exact details of the X-T20, nor the hardware requirements for these extra features. Does anybody know for sure if these features are feasible with the X-T20 hardware? Note - I'm not saying they aren't - it's a genuine question.

It strikes me this could be down to one of two reasons (or possibly a combination). Either Fuji want to slightly increase the "marketing gap" between the 20 and the 2 (which is generally seen as much closer than between the 10 and the 1) or they don't think they can add these features and get acceptable performance. They do have a (not altogether unreasonable) history of not adding features in firmware if they aren't convinced they will be well implemented.

20. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They certainly have the same sensor and processor, and were generally thought to perform the same up till now. Whether there are other differences in the surrounding components, I don't know. There is a theory doing the rounds that the X-E3 firmware is bigger than the X-T20 can handle due to (supposed) differences in storage, but its been pointed out that the X-T2 firmware is no bigger than the X-T20's and did contain these improvements. Also they're apparently coming to the XP2, which is virtually two year old hardware now.

Personally I suspect this stuff will come to the X-T20 at some point, it's just the case that it takes development time and Fuji give more priority for that to the higher end cameras.