This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lens selection

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by mwilliams, Aug 12, 2017.

1. mwilliams

mwilliams New Member

-Return to Top-

hi, I own an XT1 which came with the 18-55 & 27ml lens. I then purchased a 14ml which I love. So I'm wondering what I need to be looking at next given my main focus is landscape and street photography. Any advise? I have been considering the 35, 50 prime lenses and the more expensive 50-130 I think it is. Any feedback will help me.
    Mark

2. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When I had the XT1 for landscaping I had it with the 10-24, 18-55 and 50-140 (with 1.4 converter) which were a great combination. You could go with the cheaper 55-200 though it is a good lens and has longer reach and for landscape the smaller aperture is not significant.

3. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you like the 14mm have you considered the 23mm f/1.4? It has the same (wonderful for me) manual clutch arrangement as the 14mm and can be a great environmental portrait/street/family/event focal length lens. It is very sharp at f/1.4 and often begs to be shot in conditions that favor f/1.4. It's one of my favorites. I also have the 14/18-55/35 and 55-200.

For quick focal length tests, you might try taping you 18-55mm zoom ring to the focal length you want to experience and shot with that arrangement for a few days to get the feel of a new single focal length lens.

Welcome back to the forum.

Best Regards,
    Roger

4. Mike54

Mike54 New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Mark.

My preferred lenses for street are 23 & 35 mm. Very light and quick. For landscape, I prefer the 10-24 & 50-140mm. I think this is an excellent combination providing good reach (50-140) and of course a wide angle (10-24). At the end, I think it comes down to personal preference. I have taken the 16-55 instead of 50-140, but for some reason, I reach out for the 50-140 more often than not.

The 35mm is always in my bag, wheather it's street or landscape. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike

5. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 23/1.4 and 35/1.4 are among the best Fuji lenses. Highly recommended. Both are excellent for street and landscape.

6. mwilliams

mwilliams New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Mike and beak hammer - appreciate the advise, im on the right track

7. mwilliams

mwilliams New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Rodger - a lot to consider, hadn't hog hit of the 23ml since I use the 27ml a lot already, but the 23 seems faster

8. mwilliams

mwilliams New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Topsy - before I purchased the 14ml it was a between that and the 10-24. Thanks.

Topsy likes this.
  9. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

For me the natural companion for the 18-55mm is the 55-200.
    On the prime side I am extremly happy with the 14mm and the 1.4/35 and 2.4/60.

10. wmiller549

wmiller549 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 14, 18-55 and 35/1.4 make a great 'do it all ' trio. I carry that 3 lens combo more than any other.

If you need more reach consider the 90/2. The 14, 18-55 and 90 also make a great trio. I prefer the 90 over the 50-140 because it is much smaller/ lighter/ cheaper and a stop faster. It is also the fastest focussing Fuji lens and it's insanely sharp.

streetsntravel likes this.
  11. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Got to 100% agree with Roger here for street/social documentary the 23 f1.4 is permanently fixed to one of my X-Pro1s plus I have the X100T for when I need to pack extra compact.

12. Snodge

Snodge New Member

-Return to Top-

If you can manage without autofocus, you could take a look at the Samyang (or Rokinon, Bower or whatever they are called where you are!) 21mm f/1.4 lens. They've also got 35mm and 50mm f/1.2 lenses (the CS variants are the crop sensor lenses to look for). They are cheaper than the Fuji lenses, but are there in the mid-range of lens quality and the images they produce. If you can afford the Fuji lenses, get them, but if your budget doesn't quite stretch that far, or it's a lens you may only use infrequently, the Samyang lenses may well be worth considering.