This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lightroom issue with GFX files

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by llevine, Sep 19, 2017.

1. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've had my GFX for about three weeks and am still getting the feel of it. I have been a X-T1 and X-T2 user for several years. I import my images into Lightroom. I've noticed that when I import my GFX images, JPG and RAF, some of my JPGs do not import but the RAF file is doubled. For example a file named _DSF0271.raf will get imported also as _DSF0271-2.raf. The JPG will not get imported. This does not happen on all imports. The last import consisted of 48 files. They were a combination of RAF and JPG files but 12 files were shown with the -2.raf. The corresponding JPG file was not imported. When I tried to import that same card into Lightroom, a second time, the correct JPG files were imported.

This seems like it a Lightroom problem as the SD card shows the correct files.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Am I the only one who has experienced / noticed this?

3. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I continually see this problem happening. Fortunately, the jpg's are still on the sd card so I am able to re-import and the second time has always worked. I am left with some duplicate RAF files in Lightroom (and in my Finder) which I just delete.

4. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

After a bunch of testing, I am now thinking that this may be an issue of a bad card reader in my macbook pro. I have now seen this problem with my X-T2 files also. I don't get the problem when using a card reader or importing directly from either camera body.

This probably could explain why I have not seen any other forum members saying that they have a similar problem. I'll get back with more information when things get clearer. Right now I am thinking that it is a hardware problem with my built in SD card reader on my Mac.

5. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Time to update this situation. I have done extensive testing with the help of my brother Barry, who is a Mac / Windows consultant and a Lightroom user. If anyone needs to contact him his email is: themacguy@themacguy.info

Enough of the free advertising for him, now I want to provide a summary of the issue. This issue is not limited to Fujifilm cameras but there have been complaints from Nikon, Canon, Olympus and other users. The one thing that seems consistent is that it is coming from Mac users. That may change as more people learn about this issue.

Here’s what happens:

Using Adobe Lightroom, when importing raw and jpeg files, from the same card, some jpeg files disappear during the import and they appear as a raw file with a -2 at the end of the name. They also become a raw file. So the jpeg file is gone from Lightroom and you end up with another raw file which is a duplicate.

Trying to track this down became difficult because of inconsistency in results. I think that I now have enough information to say that this is an Adobe Lightroom problem. Whether an Apple update may have contributed is beyond my pay grade. I’ll leave that to Adobe.

I’ve got pages of notes and hours of testing.

It does not seem to matter whether you use a SDHC or the newer SDHX card, or different brands of SD cards or a GFX50S or an X-T2. I experimented with images from both.

When you open Lightroom and do the first import of that card, you get the problem of missing jpegs and duplicate raf files. If you delete and remove the images that you just imported from Lightroom, and import the card again, while Lightroom is still running, all the files import ok.

If you delete and remove the images and then quit Lightroom and then open Lightroom and import that were previously imported (and removed), you will get the same problem of the missing jpegs and duplicate raf files.

It also appears that if you start Lightroom and import images from a card and experience the problem with the jpeg and raw files and then insert a new card with new images, and import those into Lightroom, you will get the same problems on the new import.

Other tests were done using the internal Mac SD card reader, an external reader plugged into a USB port and copying and pasting files from the SD card to the Mac hard drive. The same results were obtained.

When looking at other Adobe forums, it seems that this problem has been around for at least one year. I am hoping that the Adobe experts will use some of my results to figure out what is going on and get it corrected.

A temporary work around could be to import your jpegs and raws to separate drives (assuming you have two cards in your camera). Another (if your files are combined on one card) could be to start the import until the preview is finished. Then just select one file to import. Then delete that file from Lightroom and reimport all the files on that card. It seems that if Lightroom sees the images once, the second time will go ok. You could import all the files and then remove and delete them from Lighroom and then reimport all of them. That seems to give the same results as just importing one file which will be faster.

Let me know if you have questions or can provide more input.

6. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I started this discussion in the GFX forum thinking that it was a problem related to that camera. I recently bought a GFX and that's when I first saw the issue in Lightroom. Shortly afterwards I realized that it was not limited to the GFX but also happening on my X-T2. I then started this discussion on the X-T2 forum.
    You can find it at this link:
    Please login or register to view links

So, I'll stop the post here and continue on the other forum. It's also been posted on the Adobe forum where some other people have said it happens on their Nikons, Canons and Olympus cameras. Everyone does not experience this issue. Adobe doesn't seem to be offering any help. Hopefully by continuing this discussion we may be able to figure out why it is happening. We know how to recreate it, just don't know many are not having the problem.

7. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I recently updated to Lightroom Classic. I am pleased to report that the importing problem, described in this discussion, seems to now be solved. Would have been nice if Adobe had told us and explained the root of the problem, but that does not seem to be their style.

Anyway problem solved.

jknights and Simon Green like this.
  8. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Glad you tracked down this problem and have a solution.

These types of problem are hugely difficult to trace/debug unless you have experience of the same problem. All you get is ‘noise’ rather than help.

Adobe like Nikon and Canon seem to be averse to providing information to customers about issues with their software. Whilst I understand it is difficult to trace these problems it is not impossible. Also when fixes are provided they are frequently glossed over rather than accurately reporting the fix as a solution to a problem.
    Adobe is probably too big now and IMHO need to be examined in a similar way to the way Microsoft was examined for monoply, market rigging/control and other non-consumer friendly practices.

YogiMik likes this.
  9. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry to report that:
    as of 1/12/2018, Adobe has not fixed this issue of duplicate RAW files and missing JPEG files being uploaded from a memory card. Not only that but Adobe has not even acknowledged that this problem exists and has not made any outreach to me to try and pinpoint the details. I've been a Lightroom user since V1 and it is hard to believe that Adobe has been so successful with such terrible customer service.

10. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Just out of curiosity have you tried simply transferring the files from the card to a hard drive folder (using the Mac Finder to just drag from the card to the folder) and then importing the files into LR from their hard drive location?

BTW. It is estimated that there are currently in the region of 12 million CC users alone world wide (not counting perpetual licence holders) with growth at the rate of 1 million per quarter. I guess any company with that many users will find it difficult to offer individualised support to a single person.

11. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought I had done this previously but couldn't recall so I did the following:

I shot some test images on my SD card
    I copied those images on my desktop
    I imported those images into LR
    I noticed that all images imported correctly (all the jpegs and all the raws showed properly)

I then deleted all those images from LR (catalog and hard drive)
    I imported them from the SD card
    The original problem showed, some jpegs did not appear and they were replaced by an extra RAW file with a -2 suffix.

I have screen shots of all of these steps. If you think they would be helpful, I can post them.

Thanks.

12. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

I'm thinking it is some sort of read/write timing issue with the transfer from the card.
    If you can transfer from the card to the hard drive successfully and them import from the hard drive into LR with no issues but you have issues with a direct import from the card to LR you can see where the problem occurs. It may be just the physical size of the files or something.
    At least there appears to be a work around. Just create the directory on the drive where you want the files stored copy them there from the card and use the LR feature of importing files into their existing location. It is not a cure but it's better than random lost files I guess.

13. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks. I have tried these tests with my X-T1, X-T2 and my GFX50. Same problem exists on all of those different files. At first I thought it was limited to Fujifilm files but then I started to hear from other brand users having the same issue. This seems to only happen with a small percentage of users so Adobe finds it convenient to ignore it. I would probably feel better if they would acknowledge the issue and say that they will look at it when they can.

As far as them having 12 million plus users that is not an excuse. The larger their user base the larger their customer service base needs to be. A good example is the fantastic service that Amazon.com provides to their customers.

14. mjm obrien

mjm obrien Member

-Return to Top-

How many images do you have in the catalog your importing too?

15. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

I must admit that I do not shoot RAW+jpeg that often but when I have I have not had the problem with either the X100s or X-T1.
    Like lots of things to do with computers the issue may be just some strange combination of physical parts and software that aligns to produce an unexpected result occasionally. I've seen it happen frequently since the early days of computers where there is seemingly no explanation and the issue happens on one system and not others that appear to be identical. Like all large companies US ones in particular Adobe will not be allowed by their lawyers to acknowledge that a potential issue exists for fear of opening themselves up to class action law suits. That is the world we live in and perhaps the blame should go to the legal fraternity rather than the software manufacturer. Because that can't acknowledge that a problem exists does not mean that they don't know about it and are not working to correct it. The issue at our end is we hear nothing until one day a patch is released and the problem magically goes away.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Around 140K.

17. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No problem with just importing raw or JPEG. Only when I import raw + jpeg.

18. mjm obrien

mjm obrien Member

-Return to Top-

Open Lightroom

Click on File in the top tool bar.

Select Optimize Catalog.

Optimize.

Wait till it's done. The more images you have in a catalog, the longer it will take.

Example. I have 17k images in my catalog which will take LR about 4 minutes to Optimize.

After it's done Optimizing, try your import procedure again...

Good Luck.

19. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I normally optimize whenever I do a backup.

20. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have some good news. I no longer am having this problem. My Macbook Pro was running operating system 10.11.6. I tried to import mixed raf and jpeg files and continued to have the problem as of yesterday morning. I took a look at my wife's Macbook pro which is a very new version and noticed that she was running 10.12.6. I tried to import the mixed files on her computer and I did not have any problem. I then updated my computer to 10.12.6 and tried to import the mixed files. All the files imported fine. I tried a couple of additional test imports and all was fine.

I spoke to my brother who is a Mac consultant and he said that the update should not have affected these imports. He asked if I was burning some incense or some other form of whatever. He said that maybe Apple had done something else but could not explain why it is now working ok.

Anyway, problem seems to be solved. No thanks to Adobe but perhaps Apple did something.