This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

lock manual focus with XT20 and 18-55

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by bestremera, Nov 9, 2018.

1. bestremera

bestremera New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a project in mind that will require using ND filters in the 3-10 stop range for longish exposures. I will want to focus then put the filter in front of the lens for the exposure. I might use manual mode for exposure or AE, whichever one I find works best. The issue is setting a focus point that I can then lock for the final exposure. How is that done? I tried using the AFL button but I must be doing something wrong.
    Thanks

2. AndyH44

AndyH44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's in the manual on pg 227. The AF-L button must be set as a "switch".

kerrydeare likes this.
  3. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A couple of ways to accomplish this.
    One way is to simply focus manually.
    The AFL button is another (and it has to be set to switch as Andy has suggested and autofocus has to be decoupled from the shutter button).
    Yet another way is to put the camera in manual focus mode and use the AFL button to acquire focus. It will behave just like auto focus, but focus acquisition will transfer from the shutter release to the AFL button. And you can fine tune by turning the focus dial on the lens.
    And yet another method is put the camera in AF-S mode and acquire focus through a half press of the shutter button. Release the button and set the camera to manual focus.

CWRailman likes this.
  4. bestremera

bestremera New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Andy and Fatdeko,
    Andy, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to get to the shutter control and not the manual focus but I finally got there. Thanks. And thank you fatdeko, those are great little tips that I'll try out.
    Thanks again for the help.