This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Low light, sunrise

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by Marley Buffett, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Marley Buffett

Marley Buffett New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello all,
    I took this photo at 6:30 in the morning. ISO 320. 18mm, f/5.0, 1/15 sec.
    I'm including both the original and modified on LR classic CC. (first modified)
    Let me know what I can do with the setting to get a better photo like this.
    thank you all.

DSCF4996.jpg

DSCF4995.jpg

2. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bracket exposure, ISO 200, F5.6 - F8 to choose from, on tripod. no OIS, merge images in PS, and edit it.
    Or, single shot in RAW, with the best possibly exposure, and properly edit it.
    Ask Youtube for lessons.

3. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

any suggestions on Youtube?

4. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In general I would agree with YogiMik but let me ask what is your purpose.
    Because, imho, the picture doesn’t mean much. Nice colors but you wanna show something hidden in the dark or what ?
    Anyway this is a case where a Raw file help to have the maximum DR in the white room. Otherwise you have to expose for the subject if there’s one.

YogiMik and CWRailman like this.
  5. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

The purpose is to take a picture of the sunrise for me to enjoy. The subject is the sunrise.

ukbanko likes this.
  6. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

Maybe even more, it was a photo to practice taking photos at sunrise. I'm learning and the only way to learn is to take a photo and ask other people that have more experience than me.

7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just type what you want to learn, hit search.
    In this case, type in search bar inside Youtube page: ''how to properly expose camera to sunrise?'' or, something like that . . . hit 'Search' button . ..
    You'll get a long list of tutorials about this, and similar topics.
    If you use proper keywords in search bar, you'll get more success in finding what you are looking for.
    It works in exactly the same way as Google search engine.
    I hope, this explanation will help you to succeed.

8. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Ok. Follow both advices of YogiMik and remember that you have a mirrorless (as seen in another your post). That’s mean that you see (in the EVF or display) something quite similar of what you will get. So a quick way to adjust the exposure is the right dial on your camera and see the results on display.

9. AlbertLabrador

AlbertLabrador Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Apologies if this is rather late. I think you have a good example here of the need for you to reflect on what it was that you saw when you took the photo. If I just look at the image coolly, then it doesn’t do much for me. The foreground is blocked out lacking detail and without interesting shape. The clouds are equally uninteresting and there are some distracting bits here and there. The colours are nice but they are a small part of the scene and overwhelmed rather by the top and bottom parts of the image. But I wasn’t there and I suspect that the scene held much more interest for you, prompting you to take the photo.

In that case the technical challenge is how do you depict the features of the scene that caught your eye. Could you see detail in the shadows that is lost in the image because the camera has limited dynamic range? We’re the colours more dramatic - perhaps taking up a greater proportion of the scene as you saw it? These are the sorts of question that you need to reflect on yourself as only you saw the scene.

10. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

Albert, I have been trying for two years in the same location with the same camera but with different settings. I understand it's not an interesting photograph. My point in taking the photo is that I can't use this camera to get a good photo no matter what is in front of me. I am highly disappointed with this camera. The official representative of Fujifilm in Italy told me last night that I need to upgrade my camera to the newest model in order to catch the photo that I want and in one year they will come out with a new camera that I should buy. The general idea is that I can take better pictures with my smartphone than with my camera. I am disappointed.
    His example that the camera can take clear pictures is we tested it by taking pictures of a picture that the H series took. (completely still with total control of the light) WTF???

11. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Marley, first off unless I missed it you have yet to tell us what is wrong with the image. What are your expectations? Secondly, and I do not want to come off as harsh here but it's not the camera that is at fault and upgrading to the newest model will not solve any problems except the one the representative might have in not selling enough equipment hence his prompting you to make a purchase. He or she will not be around after you spend more money and still get the same results to explain why you are still disappointed. Please let us know who this misinformed individual is that gave you such information. What do you expect to achieve in this photograph? What is missing? What do you not see that you see in other images? What images are you trying to emulate? BTW you said you wanted a sunrise picture. Your image is what we call a pre sunrise glow as the sun has not yet risen. It has different characteristics than a "sunrise" image so what are you really trying to do?

Ean50 likes this.
  12. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

I would be more than happy to show you some shots in daylight where the camera doesn't produce a clear photo. This was an example of pre-dawn as you said. If you can help me I will me eternally grateful. We can chat privately and you can correct me. I am malleable.

13. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

what said by CWRailman is true. Sorry.
    Xt1 is a great camera that makes really good pictures.
    I published today a picture in the “atmospheric” post not so different from your here but that is quite decent (took with the same camera) and the focus problems you are worried about in another post are an error in your focusing.
    Problem is that if you want to use an Xt1 like a Kodak instamatic is not the right camera also if it is a good camera.
    Same for xt2, 3, n or Sony alfa7 or whatever.
    No offense. Hope we are cool anyway.

Marley Buffett likes this.
  14. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

I am not trying to argue. I just see people praising the camera and I can't get good photos no matter what the settings.

15. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

I can't be offended. School me, please.

16. Marley Buffett

-Return to Top-

I'm starting to think my lens or camera is bad.
    I need help deciding if it's me or the lens or the camera. I won't be offended if it's me

17. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I’m not an expert or a good photographer so take my advice as is, a simple suggestion.

I think the image above is underexposed and the dynamic range is poor.
    - I would try to take more pictures of the subject with different exposure (-0.5, -1.0 stop) using the dial on the top right (see manual for exact explanation of the dial). Choose the better image in post production.
    - I would change the composition of the image: too black nothing in the low side of the image. Take more nice colored sky instead.
    - I would use RAW (I suspect you used jpg) and editing the raw in lightroom (see at the end).
    - In jpg I probably would use more sensibility and the DR set to 400%
    - I would use the auto setting in Lightroom to start and then adjusting. Incrementing the low light and reduce the highlights. Here is not a Lr course and is a long story to teach it in a forum.
    - I would consider that the subject is a difficult subject and results are not necessary good.

Here trying to do something with your downloaded image. Take it only as an example. I exaggerate everything for purpose. You could do far better taking from the beginning the right shoot.

For the nice girl in the other post:
    General rule is that YOU have to focus and expose for the subject. The girl is the subject obviously. Xt1 is not a point and shoot camera or a phone.
    In the second image I think you let to do everything to the camera instead doing for yourself.
    You have many possibilities to do that but the easiest is to point the subject, press half way shooting button (in this way you block exposure and focus), check that focus is ok for the girl, recompose the frame and shoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]